advertisement

Graham Chartwell LS3/5a

Currently using a 306 with 99pre with my Stirling V3s & Spendor LS3/5As sounds great but I have just picked up a nice unmolested 303, want to get it serviced before I press it into service but can't wait to see how it sounds.
TS

The answer to this is..... stunning . Honesty, a lovely amp.

The other amp that works brilliantly with these speakers is the LFD NCSE MK3. More on the neutral side than the Lavardin which suits the warmer Grahams.

Even at the risk to sound like a broken record, this speaker sounds INCREDIBLE, I can't say how good they are. One of the best speakers I have ever owned and listend to no matter how expansive but it has to be used in a small room and near field setup otherwise they sound lost.

To go off a tangent, has anyone here compared the Graham LS3/5 with any of the LS3/5as available ?
Graham appear to be pursuing their own particular path ( very successfully ) to ‘capture’ LS3/5a fans.
Their particular set of compromises to achieve the famous ‘3/5a sound’ appears to work very well...

I know this is a bit of a late reply but...I chose the Graham Chartwell LS3/5 after comparing to the same company's LS3/5a and the Falcons in a lengthy at home demo. I love these speakers. I find them a bit bigger sounding, less dry than the falcons but more accurate than the LS3/5a. Bigger sounding than both really, with more accuracy and space. A bit less velvet on the midrange maybe. Since I've listened to the G/CW LS3/5a often at Gig Harbor Audio (disclosure I work there) and I'd love to run the comparison again...both are really good. Rogers put out their LS3/5a SE, more expensive, but may be my over all favorite. Haven't had them at home.

Anyway the LS3/5s aren't going anywhere. Amazing speakers.

I haven't had the opportunity to compare them, I even bought the Graham Chartwell LS 3/5A without any listening because of a good deal for a trade in with my Altec Lansing 604E Superduplex. I have read the comparison from Stereophile: https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-199-falcon-graham-ls35a and the review from #47 and thought that the LS3/5A would suit me better, I also preferred it because of its higher impedance (I'm using SET 300b monos right now).

I know this is a bit of a late reply but...I chose the Graham Chartwell LS3/5 after comparing to the same company's LS3/5a and the Falcons in a lengthy at home demo. I love these speakers. I find them a bit bigger sounding, less dry than the falcons but more accurate than the LS3/5a. Bigger sounding than both really, with more accuracy and space. A bit less velvet on the midrange maybe. Since I've listened to the G/CW LS3/5a often at Gig Harbor Audio (disclosure I work there) and I'd love to run the comparison again...both are really good. Rogers put out their LS3/5a SE, more expensive, but may be my over all favorite. Haven't had them at home.

Anyway the LS3/5s aren't going anywhere. Amazing speakers.

I wonder how the 5's might compare to JR149's, which I own and love? I'd still love to own a pair of LS3's, and a used pair of 5's came on the the market recently for $1700. I'm quite interested, but ultimately I'd like to obtain a version of the LS3's that would give me the bigger difference between it and 149. The description above seems to indicate that the 5's might be closer in sound to the 149's then the 5a's, but would very much appreciate other's thoughts.

advertisement

Back