advertisement

[FS] Graham Audio LS8/1

Another bump but this time it's Wednesday.

Willing to consider offers in and around the current asking price of £3,200.

PM me if interested.

Best wishes,

Peter

can anyone explain to me where these sit in the great lineup of BBC (ish) monitors, and how they'd compare to my SHL5+

can anyone explain to me where these sit in the great lineup of BBC (ish) monitors, and how they'd compare to my SHL5+

Same-same but different.

The LS8/1 is based on the Spendor BC1 (Bextrene Cone) and has been developed by Derek Hughes, son of Spencer Hughes, the BBC engineer responsible for the latter model, using contemporary drivers and electronic components in a BBC-style cabinet identical to the original.

The Super HL5+ is an Alan Shaw evolution of a design by Harbeth's father H.D. Harwood (also a BBC engineer), the 2-way HL (Super for the added super-tweeter). Unlike the LS8/1 it is not a lossy design box built using plywood panels. It uses a proprietary cone material and metal-dome tweeters.

Cousins..

I never play loud music though my BC1s.
Light orchestral, female vocals, etc.
Not for me heavy rock, electronic music and the like.

I like to listen to orchestral somewhat loud, but my loud a lot softer than what I've listened at other audiophiles' or shows.
The LS3/6s can play loud enough for my needs in the three rooms I've had them in (currently 24m2). Let me know if you come down.

I bet these speakers aren't even broken in yet. Get some break-in track on repeat and leave the house for the day.
Will your dealer do part x, if they still not the ones for you?

Agree that these will play louder than the BC1 but also agree that not all of us want to play music loudly.

What these can do though is cope with those sudden periods of loudness you get in classical pieces ( the fairly recently released John Wilson Ravel on Chandos springs to mind).

Bump.

These LS8/1 speakers captured my attention when it was released, especially as Derek Hughes was behind it.
Just as the Stirling Broadcast LS3/6 ( also Hughes designed ) did some time before.
I almost ( ! ) sold my Spendors to buy a pair of Stirlings.

When I listen to some of my favourite music ( Greensleeves, for instance ) the midrange is just superb.
The bass end isn’t the ‘tightest’, but that doesn’t really matter to me with the type of music I play.

These LS8 captured my attention when it was released, especially as Derek Hughes was behind it.
Just as the Stirling Broadcast LS3/6 ( also Hughes designed ) did some time before.
I almost ( ! ) sold my Spendors to buy a pair of Stirlings.

When I listen to some of my favourite music ( Greensleeves, for instance ) the midrange is just superb.
The bass end isn’t the ‘tightest’, but that doesn’t really matter to me with the type of music I play.

Hi Martyn, not sure where you are based but if you ever want to satisfy your curiosity come over for a listen.

I am currently playing a CD by Abbie Lathe and some of these songs she played to my wife and I at Maddie Prior’s house.
The emotion of the songs and the ambience of the barn we were in comes over on these old Spendors.
No doubt the same would be true of these Grahams, Harbeths or modern Spendors.
After all, it’s all about the music.

advertisement

Back