Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Graham Audio LS5/9

Discussion in 'audio' started by vln, May 14, 2019.

1. barryb

barryb pfm Member

I think you're referring to the LS5/5 - a unique looker. Confusingly, the top-hit for LS8/1 is the Absolute Sound review but it depicts the wrong speaker!

Allaboutmusic likes this.
  2. You’re right Barry, it was LS5/5 I saw. The LS8/1 looks much better.

Cheers BB

gryphongryph likes this.
  3. Peter_Tos

Peter_Tos Member

I listened to Graham ls5/9, ls5/8 and Harbeth m40.3 XD at my showroom dealer. I was extremely disappointed with Graham's sound. These speakers are very colored, they are tiring and bright, although the treble is lacking. There is no realistic voice. I'm surprised by my findings, I've read a lot of positive things about Graham before.

4. gryphongryph

gryphongryph pfm Member

This is equally surprising to hear! I have the Graham Audio LS 5/9 and to me they are anything but tiring too listen too, I have a solid state amp, a hybrid and a tube pre with a class A power amp and although I have my favorite combo, none of them sound like you describe them!!!
    I guess it just shows how we all hear different!
    Would be intrigued to know what system they were match with ?

Old Shatterhand likes this.
  5. DonMarks

DonMarks Active Member

how did the Harbeth fare compared to the Grahams?

6. Peter_Tos

Peter_Tos Member

Harbeth m40.3 were much better than Graham ls5/8. Better bass, more realistic reproduction, less coloration, less fatigue.

7. gryphongryph

gryphongryph pfm Member

You use the word fatigue a lot, it’s not a word normally used in assessment of the bbc kind of sound or design !

Old Shatterhand likes this.
  8. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

It would be useful to know what portion of the frequency response is causing @Peter_Tos's perceived fatigue in the Graham's, as this would give us insight into whether it's an issue with the speaker's voicing or if it's a partnering equipment/room acoustics issue.

9. Peter_Tos

Peter_Tos Member

Have you listened to or owned Graham ls 5/9 (5/8)?
    it was something in the region of the top of the midrange and the bottom of the HF. I would call it brightness, but I also noted the lack of HF. I was expecting a warmer and softer performance from Graham.

ToTo Man likes this.
  10. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Where was this dealer?

11. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Spelling would suggest USA/ Canada

12. Allaboutmusic

Allaboutmusic pfm Member

Have you tried harbeth shl5+ ? I have them and think they are excellent.

13. Pkay

Pkay pfm Member

My Ls5/9s are anything but bright. I am using a Lavardin IT at the moment but have paired them with Sonneteer, LFD as well and they sound great with all of the amps. I have found that the treble sounds better with the speakers pointing in directly facing me in my listening position. They are very similar to the Harbeths in my room.

Tarzan likes this.
  14. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

It is astonishing. Of any and all accusations which would be levelled at the 5/9, bright and tiring are pretty much as far away from my own experience as I can imagine.*

*Unless this version has an entirely different signature to the BBC articles I used to listen to daily.

Tarzan, canonman and Old Shatterhand like this.
  15. gryphongryph

gryphongryph pfm Member

This looks more like a Harbeth fan boy!
    Harbeth has some of a cult following around the world with often some strange opinions.

DonMarks likes this.
  16. Peter_Tos

Peter_Tos Member

There is no reason to name the dealer, I don't want to advertise it for free. I am not a Harbeth fan and I am aware of the Alan Shaw cult on the HUG forum.
    I was just talking about my experience of directly comparing the Harbeth m40.3 and the Graham LS5/8, no catch. I also listened to a Graham ls5/9 after the comparison, which I did not like.
    Also, I've noticed that there's a lot of praise for Graham on the forums, but almost no one has directly compared it to Harbeth. Lots of promotional chatter, which made me expect more from Graham speakers.

17. gryphongryph

gryphongryph pfm Member

But you don’t name the system you used for comparison, also I have listen to both my speakers and the Harbeth 30.1 and felt the 30.1 did something to voices that I did not like, like there was too much of everything.
    Mind you, of all the BBC speakers out there now, the Harbeth’s are probably the one that sound the more Hi-Fi to me than the other manufacturers.

18. Peter_Tos

Peter_Tos Member

The system was the same for each pair of speakers:
    LFD NSCE II amp
    Rega ISIS cd player
    Tellurium Q Black

Tarzan likes this.
  19. canonman

canonman pfm Member

You were listening to real LS5/9's though which were never fatiguing. Alan Shaw always disliked them.

20. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

Are they any different from a Graham fanboy? :D