advertisement

Graham Audio Chartwell LS6 vs Proac Response DB3

Jodet

pfm Member
Two new speakers, similar design and specs, not sure on price.

I keep expecting to hear something about them but I never do.

I know they are in the shops in the UK and Europe but the U.S. importers don't seem to even know they exist.

So what's the deal on these? Anyone heard either?

News? Rumors? Gossip?

Two new speakers, similar design and specs, not sure on price.

I keep expecting to hear something about them but I never do.

I know they are in the shops in the UK and Europe but the U.S. importers don't seem to even know they exist.

So what's the deal on these? Anyone heard either?

News? Rumors? Gossip?

Bump.

Just ordered a pair of LS6's from England a few days ago. Will be replacing my Harbeth P3ESR's (shock!) which I'd presumed (vainly, stupidly) were my 'endgame' speakers.

I heard the LS6's at the shop quite accidentally ... sat and was amazed how deeply into recordings I could hear. More physicality and flesh to the sound than with the P3ESR's. Akin to larger, pricier monitors like C7ES3's, but much quicker-seeming. All the while sounding utterly natural. I had to have them ...

Thankfully the shop takes trades.

With Derek Hughes on board, I think Graham could end up competing quite successfully with Harbeth, Falcon, Spendor etc. ...

The floorstanding version looks pretty interesting too, at not much more money.
I heard the LS6 at the Whittlebury show last year, sounded magical.

Just ordered a pair of LS6's from England a few days ago. Will be replacing my Harbeth P3ESR's (shock!) which I'd presumed (vainly, stupidly) were my 'endgame' speakers.

I heard the LS6's at the shop quite accidentally ... sat and was amazed how deeply into recordings I could hear. More physicality and flesh to the sound than with the P3ESR's. Akin to larger, pricier monitors like C7ES3's, but much quicker-seeming. All the while sounding utterly natural. I had to have them ...

With Derek Hughes on board, I think Graham could end up competing quite successfully with Harbeth, Falcon, Spendor etc. ...

Well Bhazen, from following your Harbeth/ speaker journey here and elsewhere, it seems likely it's only a matter of time before you trade in your LS6's and start living inside a pair of 40.2's :D

Enjoy the new speakers, looking forward to updates, have read similarly great things...

Hi

I’ve posted my comments before, but don’t mind mentioning them again.

I have them 24cm from the rear wall, and about 45cm from the side walls in a 5x4m living room. They are being fed by an Onkyo Av receiver, with source material being ripped Cds from an Innuos Zenith II, and also Qobuz/Roon.

Bearing in mind the Av cost £700(£1100) when released, the sound is very clean, detailed, with good imaging. Were I to to keep them, I’d tinker with the bass eq as on some tracks it’s a bit lively. This is due to a room node at about 38htz, confirmed when Lee measured the room when demoing my eventual speakers. I’d not move these speakers further out into the room, due to other considerations.

I’d imagine that with better amplification these speakers could disappear in terms of sound.

They are a marked contrast to the Naim SL2 I had before. Very nice...

Hi

I’ve posted my comments before, but don’t mind mentioning them again.

I have them 24cm from the rear wall, and about 45cm from the side walls in a 5x4m living room. They are being fed by an Onkyo Av receiver, with source material being ripped Cds from an Innuos Zenith II, and also Qobuz/Roon.

Bearing in mind the Av cost £700(£1100) when released, the sound is very clean, detailed, with good imaging. Were I to to keep them, I’d tinker with the bass eq as on some tracks it’s a bit lively. This is due to a room node at about 38htz, confirmed when Lee measured the room when demoing my eventual speakers. I’d not move these speakers further out into the room, due to other considerations.

I’d imagine that with better amplification these speakers could disappear in terms of sound.

They are a marked contrast to the Naim SL2 I had before. Very nice...
Thank you - I may need to give them a try if my current speakers have to go...

Well Bhazen, from following your Harbeth/ speaker journey here and elsewhere, it seems likely it's only a matter of time before you trade in your LS6's and start living inside a pair of 40.2's :D

Enjoy the new speakers, looking forward to updates, have read similarly great things...

It all stops HERE! (or when I'm out of money.) :(:D

I could write a fairly detailed book about how not to go about the audiophile journey ...

have you compared ls6 vs ls59?

have you compared ls6 vs ls59?

Not a/b'd directly in the same session. I've heard them in the same space (Gig Harbor Audio). With the usual caveats re: audio memory (unreliable!), I'll suggest that the LS6 is a bit more toppy than the very BBC LS5/9. But not annoyingly so, nor inherently fatiguing.

I do think that, in a relative sense, the 6 is a real bargain. The 9 certainly doesn't sound $4k better (or whatever); and the 6 is (my opinion only!) a more desirable piece than Harbeth C7ES3 which is $1.5k(?) more expensive.

advertisement

Back