advertisement

Graham Audio BC1-50 speakers.

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
Derek Hughes has designed ( for Graham Audio ) a ‘BC1 type’ speaker to celebrate the Spendor BC1.
Lots of discussion about it on the Spendor discussion group, so I won’t go into detail.

Info. can also be found on by googling Graham Audio BC1-50.

It’s a limited edition model and a competitor for the Stirling Broadcast LS3/6, also designed by
Derek Hughes.

The North American distributor; ‘On a Higher Note’ has some detail on this Graham 50th Anniversary special edition/revision of the BC-1. Click the photo of the Graham brand. I’d send you the link, if I ever figure out how to do that…

I hadn’t even noticed they’d issued their take on the LS5/5 (Graham Audio). They look very interesting, though I suspect correspondingly expensive!

£Expensive. I miss the days when you could buy a pair of BC1s for £100. Should have kept mine.

£Expensive. I miss the days when you could buy a pair of BC1s for £100. Should have kept mine.

Well yes, I should’ve kept my early edition ‘Spiderman’ comics too. But can you tell us what price this Graham special 50th - BC1? I couldn’t see that on the North American distributor site. GBP info will do…

I remember auditioning the BC1 against the ESL57s in the 70s and choosing the Quads. It was a close run thing.

BC1s have been with me since 1976 ( gosh, that’s 45 years ) and I still love them.
Thinking about it, that’s longer than I’ve been married...

On the British Hifi Appreciation Society Facebook page, there's a post from Derek Hughes which is intriguing.
There was discussion about the BC1.

He says ( quote ) : 'We are bringing out a similar model, but won't use the original name.
We are calling it LS8/1.
First production is currently under way'

Make what you will of that...

FWIW - A Celestion HF2000 supertweeter that's missing its perforated brass grille will be down on output from 5kHz-17kHz by as much as -3dB in places (I know this because I've measured it!). So, if you've got speakers with HF2000s that are missing their grilles and find the top end a bit reticent, buy and fit the brass grilles, they are a crucial design feature!

Those of a certain age may of course not notice the reduced output, especially with loudspeakers that cross over the HF1300 to the HF2000 at 13kHz. :D

EDIT - Also, if anyone tells you a deformed (dented, creased, etc) diaphragm does not affect a dome tweeter's sensitivity and frequency response, they are talking bollox (again, I've measured it.) :)

Last edited:

advertisement

Back