advertisement

Grado SR80x vs Sennheiser HD25 vs HD600 with Earmen Eagle

Bourneendboy

pfm Member
I'm looking for a more portable set up to be able to use around the house. I have in mind either Grado SR80x, Sennheiser HD25 or buying an Earmen Eagle to use with my HD600's.

Any views on these options or other suggestions greatly appreciated!

While it's nice to be able to use wired cans on a phone or DAP, "use around the house" sounds more like you would be even more happy with a pair of Bluetooth cans. I always use my Sonys using LDAC when commuting, but around the house I gravitate towards wired anyways. Worth considering.

I'm looking for a more portable set up to be able to use around the house. I have in mind either Grado SR80x, Sennheiser HD25 or buying an Earmen Eagle to use with my HD600's.

Any views on these options or other suggestions greatly appreciated!

I use one of these little BT receivers to plug my wired cans into and a Bluetooth sender I can attach to any of my devices with optical out (TV, RPi or Mac)
Works really well actually .. and have had it couple of years already so not an instantly binnable purchase.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K8ANDCI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Plenty of BT senders around but I have couple, one from Avantree and the other by Blitzwolf (the former is available on AZ - the latter is discontinued)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BQYYDNJ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Range from either sender is very good in its own right and I can wander around the whole house (1950s semi) with no dropouts. I only have two as I have one connected permanently to the TV.

Obviously not quite up to the level of a direct wired output from amp or DAC etc. but very listenable nevertheless - and both very affordable ;)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’m curious what others made of HD-25s? I bought a pair years ago, long since sold as I just didn’t get on with them. I found they emphasised sibilance and were really uncomfortably clampy (mine were the pro-type with the double headband). I wanted to like them as they are closed and have a reputation for being indestructible, so I thought they’d make a great pair of travel cans. I ended up with Momentum IIs which I much prefer despite their being obviously bass-boosted (which actually works well on a train or whatever).

All 3 of those headphone choices are noticeably treble emphasised - is that intentionally the sound you are after?

I'd go along with the Bluetooth idea, but with a Bluetooth headphone like a B&O H4. Source it from your phone, which can be kept handily on your pocket, from the Internet streamer of your choice.

When I say 'around the house', I mean different rooms rather than mobile use around the house. My usual listening room is bloody freezing this time of the year and I like to move to the lounge if the fire is going :)

I love the sound from my HD600's running through a Graham Slee amp and they are OK through my phone, but I do like a bit more volume. I've briefly tried an Earmen Eagle HP amp/DAC dongle in the past with fairly good results which gives a bit more volume than my phone alone.
Maybe the Grado's don't have anything to offer actually, as would be a straight swap for the 600's and probably don't sound as nice.
The HD25's are more interesting as they are closed back meaning I can listen in the same room as my wife and there might be the possibility an amp is not required?

I use one of these little BT receivers to plug my wired cans into and a Bluetooth sender I can attach to any of my devices with optical out (TV, RPi or Mac)
Works really well actually .. and have had it couple of years already so not an instantly binnable purchase.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K8ANDCI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Plenty of BT senders around but I have couple, one from Avantree and the other by Blitzwolf (the former is available on AZ - the latter is discontinued)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BQYYDNJ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Range from either sender is very good in its own right and I can wander around the whole house (1950s semi) with no dropouts. I only have two as I have one connected permanently to the TV.

Obviously not quite up to the level of a direct wired output from amp or DAC etc. but very listenable nevertheless - and both very affordable ;)
I guess these are similar to the if Go Blu / Fiio BTR5, might need to give one a go.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
All 3 of those headphone choices are noticeably treble emphasised - is that intentionally the sound you are after?

I'd go along with the Bluetooth idea, but with a Bluetooth headphone like a B&O H4. Source it from your phone, which can be kept handily on your pocket, from the Internet streamer of your choice.
I did have a short demo of some BT headphones in my local Sevenoaks last week, B&W PX7 S2, Sony XM5 and Sennheiser Momentum 4. They all sounded very good, I just worry about long term reliability.

.... as they are closed back meaning I can listen in the same room as my wife and there might be the possibility an amp is not required?

Oppo PM-3 would be perfect for you.

Easy to drive from a phone. Closed back with good sound isolation. And they sound excellent.
No longer made, so only available used. But there are always some on ebay.

Would a DAP be an option?

Plugging my HD600 into the balanced output of an A&K SR25 closes the performance gap to my reference standalone headphone amp considerably. The SR25's balanced output delivers plenty of power and impressive resolution and soundstaging for the money. The performance of its single-ended output is underwhelming, however, so if you are restricted to using single-ended then ignore my recommendation!

FWIW - The A&K can be used not just as an all-in-one DAP but also as a DAC/preamp so you don't need to store music locally on it.

I have a Grado SR80X and very much like it. Although there is a lot of talk about treble emphasis (there is some) the headphone actually leans (a little) towards the warm side on the whole. As such (and to my ears) it comes over as smooth, even a little 'creamy' rather than annoyingly bright. I find it superbly 'musical' but you may feel different depending on what you have come from. Its also very light. I find it (very) comfortable, others don't. Try it somewhere first.

The cable is a little stiff and they HP is obviously open back so letting noise in and out. It wouldn't be my choice for portability but may be ok for around the house.

I find them a steal at the price. Handmade in Brooklyn and delivered for less than a ton. I am not sure how they can do it for the money.

The HD25's are more interesting as they are closed back meaning I can listen in the same room as my wife and there might be the possibility an amp is not required?

You can certainly drive them from your phone. I used a pair for years. Gone wireless now.

I've gone for a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X with an Earmen Eagle. Not quite up there with the HD600's and Graham Slee, but gives me everything else that was missing from that set up - portability and closed back allowing me to sit in the lounge listening while my wife watches TV.

Happy for now:D

Hi bill
Good to hear you are sorted :)
Thanks to you I am enjoying the graham slee solo they sound excellent with the hd600 and has transformed the Grado 80x too
I’m sorted for now too:cool:

I’m curious what others made of HD-25s? I bought a pair years ago, long since sold as I just didn’t get on with them. I found they emphasised sibilance and were really uncomfortably clampy (mine were the pro-type with the double headband). I wanted to like them as they are closed and have a reputation for being indestructible, so I thought they’d make a great pair of travel cans. I ended up with Momentum IIs which I much prefer despite their being obviously bass-boosted (which actually works well on a train or whatever).
I think you’re being a little harsh, I’ve had a pair for years and think they’re great. For the price, you won’t find a better balance of size, efficiency, sound quality and maximum SPLs. Never used them for long periods in my main system as they just don’t cut it next to my HD600’s - but what does?

I've gone for a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X with an Earmen Eagle. Not quite up there with the HD600's and Graham Slee, but gives me everything else that was missing from that set up - portability and closed back allowing me to sit in the lounge listening while my wife watches TV.

Happy for now:D

They respond superbly to EQ. Makes a good close back into something quite special. Enjoy yours.

I do like them as is, but the bass is a tad too much on some bass heavy songs.

What EQ are you applying?

Roon. I can post the settings later when I'm back home.

The 'issue' withe this HP is that Beyer has tuned them to the limit in the bass. It can distort on very bass heavy tracks occasionally as is and it certainly does if applying even a couple or 3db bass lift to a 0db (flat) FR.

Lower pre-amp a few db's and then adjust. Amazing, clean and powerful bass. The rest is easily adjustable to taste or Harman. Better delineated and deeper bass than the HD58x Jubilee. Not as warm.

Done so arguably better (more involving) than my Sundara though that does other things well. The Beyer is certainly easier to drive.

Roon. I can post the settings later when I'm back home.

The 'issue' withe this HP is that Beyer has tuned them to the limit in the bass. It can distort on very bass heavy tracks occasionally as is and it certainly does if applying even a couple or 3db bass lift to a 0db (flat) FR.

Lower pre-amp a few db's and then adjust. Amazing, clean and powerful bass. The rest is easily adjustable to taste or Harman. Better delineated and deeper bass than the HD58x Jubilee. Not as warm.

Done so arguably better (more involving) than my Sundara though that does other things well. The Beyer is certainly easier to drive.

Please post your settings, thanks!

I'm using USB Audio Player Pro and have EQ within the app, no idea how best to set though. There is also a Parametric option.

They sound great straight out of my phone and I'm sure, plenty of volume for most. The Earmen gives much more volume control and a cleaner sound.

Beyer-DT700-Pro-X-Roon.png
Beyer-DT700-Pro-X-Roon-2.png

My settings. Pre-amp -5.2db important

Other settings:
Headroom management -3db
Crossfeed: 700hz. 4.5db

Of course, this may not be to your liking

advertisement

Back