advertisement

Grado headphones

They may not be the most technically accomplished Headphones where measurements are concerned but the SR80X is certainly fun to listen to imho. Even more so with a little bit of EQ. Also supremely easy to drive even from a phone.

I use RS1s on my laptop, bought new a couple of years ago. They sound very good to me but when manufactured they did not check their Left and Right connections, bad QC. I use them back to front which is not problematic, They are comfortable enough anyway.
If you pull the black caps off the chrome bar you can swap them over.

Pete

I have/had a pair of Grado SR325 & bought a pair of SR80 for my sis. Comparing them, just like MarkW has said they do give a lighter, cleaner sound. I liken them to be more steely in sound. The difference is noticable but as far as an upgrade goes you wouldn't really say they were better. I was doing a lot of two & throwing between them to try and convince myself they were an improvement which to me they were but nothing huge. The 80's seemed much better value.

I think in regards to Grado the ones to have are the RS2 & RS1 where performance is a good step up. Personally I do like these a lot.

The cups on the 80/325 can be replaced with the over ear type that the RS1 use as I did but Grado does not recommend that.

Good day
Grado SR325 is great headphones and his have a warm sound :)

52525079736_e2e710a164_o_d.jpg

And video

Reactions: RoA
I've had a few Grados over the years
Here's my old PS1000.
Probably the most expensive rrp headphone I've owned.

Definitely high end, they still retained the Grado sound; high impact, detailed, open and fast. And bright. Sorry Grado fans, that's just the way they sound to me.

Sadly I had them in the days before I discovered the joys of flexible eq or I might still have them.

They did seem to like being driven by my old vintage JVC receiver. It tamed them a bit.

hUlhFqy.jpeg

I hated Grados for years after experience of the RS-1 and the SR-80- which just seemed horribly bass light and bright to me..... I also hated the comfort, would rather strap wire wool to my ears than wear the on-ear models to be frank!

Then after years of enjoying Sennheisers HD600 and even the 800s (a great headphone) I for some reason I cannot remember why, I decided to try the Grado GS-1000e - a proper full size "around-ear" headphone. I loved them and am now a convert! So much more direct than the Sennheisers - but not bright and no lack of proper bass. They are physically so light too, can almost forget you are wearing them.

I think comfort is absolutely key to enjoying headphones - anything too heavy or that presses the ears is not going to work for me.

Finally got hold of some Prestige Series SR80.
Sounded closed in compared to the planar Hifiman headphones. Light on the head. I don’t really like the ‘on-ear’ pads positioning.
I will use them a few times, then give them back to the donor .

Finally got hold of some Prestige Series SR80.
Sounded closed in compared to the planar Hifiman headphones. Light on the head. I don’t really like the ‘on-ear’ pads positioning.
I will use them a few times, then give them back to the donor .

Are these the 'latest' Grado SR80 (X)? and what Hifiman are you comparing them to?

Are these the 'latest' Grado SR80 (X)? and what Hifiman are you comparing them to?

No. Older version Grado, but the on-ear rather than over-ear pads are not for me.

- Hifiman edition xs, new stealth magnet version. Not a balanced (price) comparison, but the edition xs are my reference pair.

I have a Grado sr80x headphones, and I'm thinking to upgrade to a sr125x or a sr325x.I have the Rega Brio headphone input.The dealer says the sr125x is not a big upgrade from the sr80x.The problem is that sr325x is a bit expensive.I need headphones because my neighbours claim they hear the music.
Really think you need to go to SR 125 for a satisfying difference

After some Koss Pro4AAs, which won red quite good until they packed up, I started with SR60s, happy with them, I preferred the airier sound. Having read reviews I bought some Alessandro MS1s, which were an improvement, more refined. My next upgrade was to B&O HD6s, which were a bit better, but I missed the open sound of the Grados. I now use SR325x phones, and I am extremely happy with them. To my old ears they're not too bright, just revealing of textures with adequate bass, and I don't have problems wearing my specs. I
I can't see me upgrading any more, but you never know.
Rega RP3/Nagaoka MP 200, Arklessed CA640 phono, Naim Uniti Star and Royd Doublets are my system.

I have the Grado sr 225x I think these newer versions have a slightly less aggressive sound than the earlier editions anyway I find them very good ..

I had the RS1 model once (the ones with the wooden cups). Imported them from the U.S.- Horrible! Unpleasant (to my ears) sound presentation and so uncomfortable…. - It put me off Grado for life. But perhaps I should have persisted.
I have found every Grado uncomfortable. This is because I wear spectacles. The problem is solved by removing the Grado earmuffs and buying a pair of correct diameter circular old-fashioned soft leather or plastic ones. These are available from China ebay or from manufacturers as spares. They are very comfortable with spectacles. And sound as good or better.

I have/had a pair of Grado SR325 & bought a pair of SR80 for my sis. Comparing them, just like MarkW has said they do give a lighter, cleaner sound. I liken them to be more steely in sound. The difference is noticable but as far as an upgrade goes you wouldn't really say they were better. I was doing a lot of two & throwing between them to try and convince myself they were an improvement which to me they were but nothing huge. The 80's seemed much better value.

I think in regards to Grado the ones to have are the RS2 & RS1 where performance is a good step up. Personally I do like these a lot.

The cups on the 80/325 can be replaced with the over ear type that the RS1 use as I did but Grado does not recommend that.
325s not better than 80s
? I suggest you try a better amp. The improvement with 325 is very evident.

Over ears for me every time, and I wear glasses. MY wife's SR60s are good but sit on ear; fine for her (used with laptop only) (no glasses). Somehow, sit on ear cans have never appealed; nor closed back ones.

advertisement

Back