advertisement

Grado headphones

nbaptista

pfm Member
I have a Grado sr80x headphones, and I'm thinking to upgrade to a sr125x or a sr325x.I have the Rega Brio headphone input.The dealer says the sr125x is not a big upgrade from the sr80x.The problem is that sr325x is a bit expensive.I need headphones because my neighbours claim they hear the music.

Why not go for a change from Grados - current favorites are the Sennheiser HD600s, but the recent offer is showing out of stock, though others such as the 569 and 560S are available direct from Sennheiser - just double-check the reviews, but in my opinion, you cannot go wrong if you are listening at home.

Seems Grado have a very open lively mid-centric sound that many love. Uncoloured they are not but unique. Never been a fan of on-ears myself. More strictly neutral accurate (some would say boring) HP's are available at the price of course.

I had the RS1 model once (the ones with the wooden cups). Imported them from the U.S.- Horrible! Unpleasant (to my ears) sound presentation and so uncomfortable…. - It put me off Grado for life. But perhaps I should have persisted.

I have Grado SR80 and tried the 325x at home. I wasn’t that keen, felt they were a bit lean for my taste, ended up with Meze 99 Classic instead

Never heard any Grado’s, but a mate of mine says that he will give me his pair as he never uses them. No idea what they are. No idea when it will happen. If and when it does, I shall report.

Reactions: RoA
Never heard any Grado’s, but a mate of mine says that he will give me his pair as he never uses them. No idea what they are. No idea when it will happen. If and when it does, I shall report.

Every music lover should have one

I use RS1s on my laptop, bought new a couple of years ago. They sound very good to me but when manufactured they did not check their Left and Right connections, bad QC. I use them back to front which is not problematic, They are comfortable enough anyway.

I have RS2s, the first version with the wooden dot in the middle of the earcup mesh. I have access to, and have heard, some very, very posh AKGs and would not swap the RS2s for them! They are not 'impressive' to listen to, and at first listen they may not sound as others do but they are keepers.

I have been down the Grado upgrade route and concluded there is no point in proceeding past the SR80s. SR325s are fractionally cleaner but are heavier, which doesn't work well with Grado ergos and offer a fairly uncomfortable ride with scratchy naked foam pads clamping your ears.

All other Grado's are fairly subtle variations on the sound of the '80's. If the '80's don't do it for you, there are many, much more comfortable options around. The mid-priced Senns, Hifiman Ananda's and definitely the Beyerdynamic DT's (various options there) at sensible prices.

I have 60s and 80s and I can’t tell the difference between them.
I have an early Rega ear and a Schitt headphone amps.

Pete

I have been down the Grado upgrade route and concluded there is no point in proceeding past the SR80s. SR325s are fractionally cleaner but are heavier, which doesn't work well with Grado ergos and offer a fairly uncomfortable ride with scratchy naked foam pads clamping your ears.

All other Grado's are fairly subtle variations on the sound of the '80's. If the '80's don't do it for you, there are many, much more comfortable options around. The mid-priced Senns, Hifiman Ananda's and definitely the Beyerdynamic DT's (various options there) at sensible prices.

Have to say I never had an issue with comfort on the 80's. I can wear them for a long time. May be different with other pads ie. 325x.

I have replacement pads on my grados with holes in the middle they are much more comfortable and only a few quid on eBay.

Pete

I have RS2s, the first version with the wooden dot in the middle of the earcup mesh. I have access to, and have heard, some very, very posh AKGs and would not swap the RS2s for them! They are not 'impressive' to listen to, and at first listen they may not sound as others do but they are keepers.

I entirely agree. I nearly bought a pair and still regret not doing so. Instead I boughta package deal consisting of a pair of sr225s with ttvj pads and a headphone amplifier for the same price

Why not go for a change from Grados - current favorites are the Sennheiser HD600s, but the recent offer is showing out of stock, though others such as the 569 and 560S are available direct from Sennheiser - just double-check the reviews, but in my opinion, you cannot go wrong if you are listening at home.
I have grado rs2x, hd650 and hd58x.
I think they are very complementary, but the grado does things the senns are completely unable
And vice versa

Have to say I never had an issue with comfort on the 80's. I can wear them for a long time. May be different with other pads ie. 325x.

I've not had comfort issues with the 80's either. They are a lot lighter than the SR325's and PS series and the 60's and 80's use the most comfortable (to my ears) pads. Put those same pads on the 325's and they sound pretty much the same as the 80's.

I have replacement pads on my grados with holes in the middle they are much more comfortable and only a few quid on eBay.

Pete
Yes!
If u wear glasses, the Grado earmuffs are the world's most uncomfortable. First thing I did was scrap them. Then replaced with small, round 1950's style ones, secured with black string.

China to the rescue.

advertisement

Back