advertisement

Grad 1 input fault

Simon s

pfm Member
Hi I am at the very early stages of learning the DIY side of things, so please go easy on me !

I have an Avondale Grad 1 pre with one of the inputs down on the black/left channel. I checked continuity from the RCA jack to where the wire is soldered to the board and there is a signal coming through from the meter but no audio signal ? So i resoldered this point and now i have a signal, but its much fainter than the other (healthy) channel ? Has anyone any ideas what has happened here and what i should be checking next to resolve it ?

I know this is prob a simply fix for most of you but not sure what to do.

Thanks all for the collective wisdom.

Si

Grad-1-input.jpg

Hi Simon,
Firstly, I would check the trace on the circuit board to make sure the trace hasn't lifted. If the trace is OK, desolder the wire, cut the wire back a little, then re-solder.

Ray

Last edited:
Thanks Ray. I was thinking that the wire should be more shielded but do you think that will solve the problem ?

Its probably the relay contacts, check the signal in with an AC voltmeter or an oscilloscope, check the level between both channels right at the input then trace through the soldered connection to the board then the output from the relay, checking both channels to see where you loose the.
If its the relay LesW will have a replacement.
Alan

advertisement

Back