advertisement

Gout

I am experiencing this for the first time, the pain has been immense and I can barely walk. From doing a bit of research it would appear the major causes are dehydration and an overly protein rich diet. Interestingly alcohol in itself is not a cause but the dehydration linked to alcohol is. Any advice other than drink loads of water, cut down on the booze and eat a more balanced diet?

I can recommend watching a few videos of a Dr getting some information out there...

He is Dr Anthony Chaffee.. His material and way of eating I think may help.

I'd also look into getting a water purifier, I use a MegaHome home distiller.

Good luck.

I’ve never suffered personally with this but a friend recently did and had to have a few days away from work as it was hurting him that much.

You may find this video helpful and informative

Cheers

GB

This guy recommends a low carb keto style diet .. He is definitely worth watching too.

This guy recommends a low carb keto style diet .. He is definitely worth watching too.

I find his videos really informative and have been following his intermittent fasting / low carb keto diet for around 6 weeks now. Combined with exercise - running and walking my dog, I have lost a stone so far and am making good progress.
My window of eating is from 13:00hrs - 21:00hrs which gives me 16hrs of fasting, something I thought I would struggle with but have adapted to quite well. The coffee with cream in the morning does help to keep the hunger away. Don't get me wrong, some days I am really feeling hungry but the feeling does pass.
I am not 100% strict though and still allow myself a little bit of honey and alcohol, both of which you are not suppose to have but I figured it'll be okay in moderation. I have given up milk chocolate (Dairymilk, Galaxy etc), biscuits, bread, rice, pasta things I used to eat a lot of!
I am fortunate, in that I am not a fussy eater and like many of the foods you can eat on a keto diet so the transition hasn't been too hard for me. The hardest thing has been giving up fresh bread as I will always love this :D

The link to port/alcohol is now beleived to be a consequence of how port was shipped back in the day - barrels were often sealed with lead and trace amounts ended-up in the port.

I have known two people suffer, and yes, EXCEEDINGLY painful. Someone who I work with, in their early 30's has it and he is Muslim, so no alcohol. He does eat masses of crap - how he is not 20 stone I shall never know - he is forever at the food vending machines at work - anything chocolate or crisps.

They know how to releive the pain, but not what causes it in detail.As you undoubtedly know, it starts with high levels of uric acid in your blood, but beyond that is essentially unknown science.

There was a discussion about gout amongst doctors/scientists on R4 only very recently. Starts around 16.30

BBC Radio 4 - Inside Health, CBD oil, Dental phobia, Gout
A friend of mine has it and he’s Muslim too, he can go months without a flare up but when it hits, it wipes him out, he can’t put his feet to the floor. It’s an absolutely evil disease and not in any way funny… I don’t know why people think it is funny, they wouldn’t laugh at osteoporosis/rheumatoid arthritis/ankylosing spondylitis… and yes it can be as painful as any one of those conditions, which is to say, it can be more painful than a broken bone, 11/10 on the pain scale.

As I suspected, Wed next week. Probably require a kidney transplant by then as well given the amount of pain killers I am taking.
If the pain/inflammation is that bad, go to the hospital, don’t wait for your GP.

When my arthritis started to get bad, I visited my GP multiple times, in agony, and was told basically, take some painkillers and try and sit down more at work, get on with it etc… no investigation whatsoever. Then I got really, really, really poorly, and had to have IV morphine just to get me onto a stretcher to get me out of the house… I didn’t go back to my own house for over six months, I’m now under two consultants who monitor and treat my condition independently of my GP, my GP just signs off my prescriptions monthly now. Your condition might not get as aggressive as mine, but don’t suffer with it.

I find his videos really informative and have been following his intermittent fasting / low carb keto diet for around 6 weeks now. Combined with exercise - running and walking my dog, I have lost a stone so far and am making good progress.
My window of eating is from 13:00hrs - 21:00hrs which gives me 16hrs of fasting, something I thought I would struggle with but have adapted to quite well. The coffee with cream in the morning does help to keep the hunger away. Don't get me wrong, some days I am really feeling hungry but the feeling does pass.
I am not 100% strict though and still allow myself a little bit of honey and alcohol, both of which you are not suppose to have but I figured it'll be okay in moderation. I have given up milk chocolate (Dairymilk, Galaxy etc), biscuits, bread, rice, pasta things I used to eat a lot of!
I am fortunate, in that I am not a fussy eater and like many of the foods you can eat on a keto diet so the transition hasn't been too hard for me. The hardest thing has been giving up fresh bread as I will always love this :D

After watching a lot of Dr Chaffee's material I have deleted all veg / fruits / sugars and any drinks other than pure water.

Meat, Fish, Eggs, Butter, sea salt to taste, water is all I eat/drink now..

I also avoid processed meats as you can't trust the system to provide what they say it is...

Zero food cravings. Just focused and well.

Dr Chaffee has been an elite sports man (Rugby player) and has been carnivore for ~20 years... he is also a Neuro Surgeon. very good material. He did a 3 hour show on OneradioNetwork worth listening to.

Reading the numerous comments in the youtube hundred of people are having miraculous healings with reverting to this way of eating.

After watching a lot of Dr Chaffee's material I have deleted all veg / fruits / sugars and any drinks other than pure water.

Meat, Fish, Eggs, Butter, sea salt to taste, water is all I eat/drink now..

I also avoid processed meats as you can't trust the system to provide what they say it is...

Zero food cravings. Just focused and well.

Dr Chaffee has been an elite sports man (Rugby player) and has been carnivore for ~20 years... he is also a Neuro Surgeon. very good material. He did a 3 hour show on OneradioNetwork worth listening to.

Reading the numerous comments in the youtube hundred of people are having miraculous healings with reverting to this way of eating.

Thanks @jonnoshore I'll check out his show and any channels he has, sounds very interesting :)

Now on medication and today a big improvement provided I walk carefully. Drinking loads of water and eating loads of fruit. The only downside is that my wife's sympathy is reducing as my symptoms reduce, tea in bed may last another day.

Eat lots of cherries and drink lots of cherry juice. Even if they do nothing they taste nice and if you swallow a cherry pit it’ll take your mind off gout since you’ll stop breathing. Apparently there’s cyanide in those pits.

Four years on I take a daily allopurinol and no pain now although my big toes sometimes feel as if they’re in splints. When I first got it I didn’t recognise what it was because the pain was in my elbows as well as my feet - not uncommon, apparently.

Eat lots of cherries and drink lots of cherry juice. Even if they do nothing they taste nice and if you swallow a cherry pit it’ll take your mind off gout since you’ll stop breathing. Apparently there’s cyanide in those pits.
gosh never heard that but seems it can help gout

advertisement

Back