advertisement

Gout

As I suspected, Wed next week. Probably require a kidney transplant by then as well given the amount of pain killers I am taking.
That is not reasonable medical care.
I would expect your surgery to provide you with acute medication until they can see you.
They could also arrange a quick blood test to take place to confirm a raised uric acid level.
Acute gout is incredibly painful and it needs acute medication, not a telephone consultation in a week’s time.

I have to ring between 8 and 9 tomorrow to see if they can fit me in. No doubt I will be number 18 in line with all the other people who cant get an appointment.

As I suspected, Wed next week. Probably require a kidney transplant by then as well given the amount of pain killers I am taking.
I forgot to mention this in my post. If in the midde of an attack and you don't struggle with high blood pressure try mixing up 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda in an 250ml glass of water. Drink one of these every four hours. Last time I had it this severely limited the length of the attack. I did still have to take the Ibuprofen along with it until it subsided. Any time I feel like one could be forthcoming I also have a few glasses of that. Hope you get better soon.

The advice I was given is to not let gout run riot, get an attack under control asap otherwise you’ll have even more swollen joints forever. I find 1 or 2 Naproxen knock my attacks out if I realise it’s gout in time. I only get it once per year or less. I do find Naproxen very effective. Good luck!

A balanced diet, a couple of allopurinol washed down with a bottle of decent wine, avoid beer. Works for me.

I also found Naproxen very effective but I think it’s advisory to take Omeprazole as well to protect the stomach.
The latter should be taken well before the Naproxen.

I also found Naproxen very effective but I think it’s advisory to take Omeprazole as well to protect the stomach.
The latter should be taken well before the Naproxen.
Yes, good advice.

re the comments about beer…we all have to find our own sensitivities. Beer isn’t a trigger for me (fortunately).

Just make sure your kidneys are good, otherwise non steroidal anti inflammatories can be a problem. If the case, colchicine is the answer - keep taking it until you frequent the toilet too often.

Red wine a major cause. A mate who drinks the stuff all the time had gout and there is a miracle cure from doctors. you take one pill a day for just 2-3 days and it's gone. That's what happened with my mate anyhow.

Yes, good advice.

re the comments about beer…we all have to find our own sensitivities. Beer isn’t a trigger for me (fortunately).
You’re extremely lucky then. (My sister is a consultant rheumatologist) - beer a definite trigger, wine much less so.

Jez, red wine is not a major cause.

You’re extremely lucky then. (My sister is a consultant rheumatologist) - beer a definite trigger, wine much less so.

Jez, red wine is not a major cause.

OK. Thought it was. My pal drinks red wine each day and got it so it fitted the "old wives tale" that it's red wine. I stand corrected:) He defo got pills from doc that cured it in 2-3 days, which was the full course of treatment.

It maybe that as I rarely have more than a couple of beers a few nights per week that I’m not drinking enough beer in one session for it to trigger gout. The is the view that the type of alcohol don’t matter so much, it’s more about the amount. There are lots of potential triggers…but which are the ones we individually suffer with?

Please note
The treatment for a new episode of gout is either a non steroidal anti inflammatory or, if intolerant or on anticoagulants, colchicine.
Colchicine should only be taken for a couple of days.
If these two meds are ineffective, a dose of intramuscular steroid will be effective
Allopurinol is for the long term prevention of episodes of gout. Used in a new or acute episode it can make things worse.
Old guys like us usually need a stomach protector if we are to take a non steroidal safely
Omeprazole is one such stomach protector. Naproxen and ibuprofen are examples of non steroidal anti inflammatories.

Also, most people will be unable to take colchicine for more than the recommended duration as it usually causes rip—roaring diarrhoea!

Red wine a major cause. A mate who drinks the stuff all the time had gout and there is a miracle cure from doctors. you take one pill a day for just 2-3 days and it's gone. That's what happened with my mate anyhow.

Red wine is fine for me unless it's very acid; main choice these days is Oz wines with a bit of residual sugar and low acidity.

I thought beer was bad which i attributed to the yeastiness, normally stick to cider and the occasional light lager / beer. Caribe pineapple is gorgeous.

I always make sure I have a supply of Naproxen 250 (doesn't need a stomach liner) and Zapain handy (both as prescribed by my GP). Luckily I haven't had an attack for several years now but I have cut out Beer & Wine pretty much 100%, just drinking Whisky.

Different things affect different people. I have had gout. I drink a lot of red wine and have not had gout for years.

advertisement

Back