advertisement

Gout

Rodrat

pfm Member
I am experiencing this for the first time, the pain has been immense and I can barely walk. From doing a bit of research it would appear the major causes are dehydration and an overly protein rich diet. Interestingly alcohol in itself is not a cause but the dehydration linked to alcohol is. Any advice other than drink loads of water, cut down on the booze and eat a more balanced diet?

Don`t put your feet anywhere near anybody that is likely to trip over them and get ready for plenty of jokes that you probably won`t find funny.

Improves after a few days in my experience.

The link to port/alcohol is now beleived to be a consequence of how port was shipped back in the day - barrels were often sealed with lead and trace amounts ended-up in the port.

I have known two people suffer, and yes, EXCEEDINGLY painful. Someone who I work with, in their early 30's has it and he is Muslim, so no alcohol. He does eat masses of crap - how he is not 20 stone I shall never know - he is forever at the food vending machines at work - anything chocolate or crisps.

They know how to releive the pain, but not what causes it in detail.As you undoubtedly know, it starts with high levels of uric acid in your blood, but beyond that is essentially unknown science.

There was a discussion about gout amongst doctors/scientists on R4 only very recently. Starts around 16.30

BBC Radio 4 - Inside Health, CBD oil, Dental phobia, Gout

Had it a few times. I started using CheryActive (concentrated cherry juice) once a day and not had it since which is now several years.

I have hereditary gout and take allopurinol daily to reduce my uric acid levels.

Any anti inflammatory will help as well as hydration.

defo see a GP , there are a number of meds like ones mentioned and colchicine . some interfere with other meds so needs careful review

Had it for years but i rarely get symptoms now.

I avoid a range of foods including offal, blue cheese, peanuts, mushrooms, smoked mackerel and cheap thin wine, Chianti being the worst.

Keep well hydrated, usually p lighter than straw colour. When i have a G&T it's usually weak but wine hasn't been a problem. Worst case for me is working with air conditioning blowing at my feet followed by jumping out onto rough ground.

I now hardly ever wear sandals, even now it's thick socks and trainers so feet are protected from getting very cold as well as impact which can initiate an attack.

Excess weight doesn't help and i seem to be better now blood pressure is controlled and i'm on low level statins.

My diet is now very high veg content and a lot of protein, not many carbs and i'm off allopurinol.

Had an interesting one 30 years ago, i was on full rate plus a bit of allopurinol and indomethacin with a few side effects and a month hadn't reduced the pain. Went to my usual tennis meeting and had to sit it out. I suppose i was getting a bit depressed and ended up consuming a bottle of Blue Smirnoff with OJ. Woke up the next morning cured!

Yes, Moderate alcohol or not, keeping hydrated and a balanced diet does the trick for me. I haven't had an attack in a couple of years. I was warned off the usual high protein suspects - Red meats, Prawns, crab and the likes, TBH if you steered clear of all the various foodstuffs and liquid refreshment Red wines, port and so forth you'd have a diminished life. Keep a pack of Allopurinol / colchicine but above all keep well hydrated. As said above, the researchers are uncertain as to the cause.

I've not heard of the Heart issue before and will look it up - Thank for that gavreid.

I’ve never suffered personally with this but a friend recently did and had to have a few days away from work as it was hurting him that much.

You may find this video helpful and informative

Cheers

GB

Go to the doctor and maybe get on allupurinol for the rest of your life. Or completely change your lifestyle.

I did neither and it keeps coming back.

Got it in my 30s. Vegetarian, drank very little
GP's verdict
Wrong choice of parents
I fought it with Naproxen (Ibuprofen like) for months but had to give up and go on Allupurinol
Sorted. Plus I drink pints of water every day too

Strong cheese was the trigger for me (I’m alcohol free) but thanks to Allopurinol I’m now pain free. I had to ask my neighbour to collect my first prescription as walking was impossible in fact anything touching the toe was agony (socks, sheets etc)

I’ve previously likened it to having your toe separated from your foot then placing some double sided course sandpaper between the joint. Add to that there’s the heat and inflammation, not pleasant at all.

My brother had gout so I was aware of the symptoms (but not the level of pain!) but thankfully it was at a time I could easily get hold of a doc on the phone and a prescription was at my local Chemist within the hour.
Get on to your doc ASAP as you’ll hate yourself at 3am tomorrow when the pain wakes you up and you can’t get relief!

Now in the third day and no increase or decrease in pain. I think I will have to contact the doctors but probably get a telephone appointment for next week.

My friend had to live down stairs for nearly 3 months until they could get his gout under control.

My ex boss was a bit of a hard man, teeth out without pain relief, putting his fingers back in place after dislocation etc. He reckoned the pain of gout almost brought him to tears.

Cheers BB

As I suspected, Wed next week. Probably require a kidney transplant by then as well given the amount of pain killers I am taking.

D R I N K L O T S O F W A T E R

Ibuprofen is what you need until Doc prescribes Naproxen

Omeprazole recommended with lots of NSAIDS but only prescription

My last major bout somewhat unsurprisingly followed a day-log drinking session in London, including lunch at The Guinea Grill (Prawn cocktail to start, Steak and Kidney Pie with a side of calf's liver, bottle of fleurie).

My GP was most unhelpful and basically told me to suck it up and just take anti-inflams. I later went for a blood test at her insistence; everything came back normal, except she'd forgotten to request a test for uric acid:rolleyes:.

I gave up in the end and basically nicked half my mum's colchecine stash to get me through future bouts. Laying off the offal, drinking less alcohol, drinking loads more water (including when drinking alcohol), and eating loads of cherries seems to have helped reduce frequency.

My last major bout somewhat unsurprisingly followed a day-log drinking session in London, including lunch at The Guinea Grill (Prawn cocktail to start, Steak and Kidney Pie with a side of calf's liver, bottle of fleurie).

My GP was most unhelpful and basically told me to suck it up and just take anti-inflams. I later went for a blood test at her insistence; everything came back normal, except she'd forgotten to request a test for uric acid:rolleyes:.

I gave up in the end and basically nicked half my mum's colchecine stash to get me through future bouts. Laying off the offal, drinking less alcohol, drinking loads more water (including when drinking alcohol), and eating loads of cherries seems to have helped reduce frequency.

I'd love to eat Steak & Kidney pie again, certainly wouldn't dare the calf's liver side.

Seem to be staving it off now but at the first twinge it's a couple of pints of very weak squash and four IBP.

advertisement

Back