advertisement

Got the Exact for my P8

It would be very much easier to do a Linn and either buy in the bits for a simple screwdriver job or get someone like AT to do body A with windings..

Linn don't build any cartridges and never have. Nor have they ever built a budget tonearm.

Rega obviously buy in most of the parts they use but everything is assembled in house. I believe they own a plastics molding company, which is quite a clever move.

A P8/Exact has to be entry level high end imho.

Hard to define I suppose. Fair to say that all of Regas turntable products punch well above their weight. Except the Bias maybe, which I do not like or understand.

So when I get a new cart I play an album both sides 3 times with basically no volume, just to give a little break in time, then, I go to my “go to” tracks, firstly to check for IGD I play Deep Purples “never before” last song on side 1 on Machine Head, passed, no IGD, then I check a sparse composition “dollar bill” by the Screaming Trees; Sweet Ablivion, passed with flying colours, Acoustic guitar sounds beautiful, Mark Lanegan sounds like he’s in the room with me, then lastly Black Sabbath “Hand of Doom” for Bass and Drums, again, just no issues whatsoever, so here’s my personal analogy: think of a recording with a dynamic mic (which is what you want for dirty electric guitars, Bass guitar and Miced Drums) Vocals you might want a condenser Mic, the Exact produces guitars, Bass and Drums flawlessly, the Apheta 3 helps bring out vocals, reverb tails, echo, cymbal decay, pick on string with more definition, not that the Exact doesn’t, I’m more than happy with it, but you’re talking about a $600 cart vs $2500 cart, so succinctly, the Exact is like a Sennheiser 421 dynamic Mic, the Apheta 3 is like a Neumann Condenser Mic, hope this makes sense

Be good if they updated the MM cartridge bodies though eh? They've been using the same one for years and they look like half chewed jelly babies! All of their decks have grown sleeker and more sophisticated looking and you've got this amorphous blob of dayglow plastic hanging on the end. I'm sure that a lot of people will dismiss them because of the way they look.

They're actually difficult to align because of it. The body has zero straight edges or features that match up with the headshell in any way. Heck, Ortofon make MM cartridges that visually match Rega arms better than Rega's do!

Be good if they updated the MM cartridge bodies though eh? They've been using the same one for years and they look like half chewed jelly babies! All of their decks have grown sleeker and more sophisticated looking and you've got this amorphous blob of dayglow plastic hanging on the end. I'm sure that a lot of people will dismiss them because of the way they look.

They're actually difficult to align because of it. The body has zero straight edges or features that match up with the headshell in any way. Heck, Ortofon make MM cartridges that visually match Rega arms better than Rega's do!
Indeed, I just try to get the point of the stylus on the cross and visually make sure the body is even with the lines on the Rega protractor, and sure a lot of people listen with their eyes (as in woeful colour choice, but doesn’t effect the sound)

Indeed, I just try to get the point of the stylus on the cross and visually make sure the body is even with the lines on the Rega protractor

The problem is that the front bolt really only sorts out the overhang. There is enough lateral play in the two main bolts that you can rotate the cart quite a bit. The best bet is to try and align the cantilever.

I had an Exact on a P3, very nice indeed, but unfortunately after a while the cantilever seemed to sag and the cart rode too low - may be an occasional issue, not sure.
How long after did it start to sag?

Rega must be selling more cartridges than ever.
Most of their TT range comes included cartridge at a favorable bundle price, such as P3/Elys.

I agree they look daft (thinking Nagaoka are not that beautifull too), indeed Ania/Apheta MC design are a different aproach.
The Exact certainly sound much better than it looks.

Rega must be selling more cartridges than ever.

I don't know. They sell them with Rega turntables and people buy them for Rega turntables but no one else buys them. When was the last time you saw a Rega cartridge on a non-Rega turntable?

By contrast, everyone buys Audio Technica cartridges.

Have to say, really liking this Exact.

I love the look of Rega cartridges, I wish other manufacturers were more 'colourful'. I think my Dynavector would look much more fun if it was a nice anodised purple/green/pink/yellow instead of boring black.

I don't know. They sell them with Rega turntables and people buy them for Rega turntables ..

Thats actually what I meant.
Just recently they expanded their MC range pricewise downwards.
Along with more WW vinyl interest.

There may be higher profit margin, making Ania rather than a Bias.
Not sure if a P7 were offered with cartridge.

Even with some automatic manufacture, more people surely are working to create those handmade cartridges.

Wonder if they ever replace the Bias level with an AT of some sort.

Wonder if they ever replace the Bias level with an AT of some sort.

I think they should replace the Bias and Elyes but I don't see why they can't do it in house. The Exact is a brilliant cartridge, as I'm just finding out, but the Bias is just wrong. I recon the body is too well damped for a cartridge with the limited information retrieval of the Bias. It sounds..truncated. All attack and nothing else.

They've been using the same body for the MM carts for over thirty years. Surely it must be ripe for an upgrade?

I think they should replace the Bias and Elyes but I don't see why they can't do it in house. The Exact is a brilliant cartridge, as I'm just finding out, but the Bias is just wrong. I recon the body is too well damped for a cartridge with the limited information retrieval of the Bias. It sounds..truncated. All attack and nothing else.

I did recommend the Exact a while back but you weren't listening ;).

Loved an Elys on a Planar3 I had back in the day and I imagine the Bias sounds great on it's intended Planar 2.

Rega updated the MM range with new coil winding techniques a while back and they play around with materials all the time.

They're not called Rega Research for nothing.

I have an AT100e on my 1980s-2010s Planar 3. I was going to upgrade the stylus with an ATN-440mlb and have the elliptical as a spare. Then priorities in life changed and the elliptical remained. I've actually been really happy with it. It has a fine synergy with the deck and is close in tonal balance to my digital source. I don't mind the glossing over of detail as the TT/cart system brings musical values to the fore. The deck itself will never be a detail monster anyway.

I've not enjoyed the lower end Rega cartridges. I've not tried an Exact. Am I right to believe it's a marked improvement over the others, particularly in tonal balance and with a flatter FR?

I did recommend the Exact a while back but you weren't listening.

Yes I was, I was just ignoring you ;0)

My problem with the Bias is that it's very easily beaten by other carts in its price range and it sounds wonky. I actually prefer the AT 3600L/Carbon.

I've not tried an Exact. Am I right to believe it's a marked improvement over the others, particularly in tonal balance and with a flatter FR?

I think it is. On a older Planar3, which is warmer and lusher than today's decks, I think an Audio Technica is a great match but yeah, the Exact is pretty good. Bass is full and a little bloaty but it's powerful and boogies nicely. Top end is a tad rolled off and soft but carts are safer that way I think. Overall it's a very involving and fun listen without ever being harsh. Won't work on every deck but should be good on any Rega.

advertisement

Back