advertisement

Got Fleas?

Are the Fleas still available?
Once my Starfish is built the CD3.5 will be getting an overhaul and a host of mods...

Thanks,
Sam

I'd take a couple if there was another run of boards.....

Even better if its the 'rumoured' FLEA2 boards! (wink,wink,nudge,nudge) :D

Hi guys,

My website has (finally) moved to it's own domain, so the above link is no longer valid.

But... due to multiple requests I decided to do another run of the Flea boards, so have some new boards for sale now, for those who are interested.

Regards,

Ray

One more up and running! Yay! I've just finished popping one into my 3.5. It's running off an 18V wallwart until I get around to knocking together a proper supply. Although I do have a NAPSC somewhere that I may as well use.

A big thanks to Wilky who provided me with practically all of the bits needed and to Laverda who donated a board. Outstanding generosity, gentlemen, I am most, most grateful.

Tighter, more detail (better hi-hats and brushes) and more bass. TBH at first it compressed the sound stage and the bass boomed a bit, but it settled down quite quickly. I have to admit that while I had the m/board out I thought I may as well change the op amps a la Acoustica. I did Mod 7 ages ago as well as putting in some ALWSRs so it's not exactly a straight comparison with a virgin 3.5. After 3 hours it is certainly sounding better. I'm switching back and fore with a Squeezebox and Buffalo 32 DAC as a baseline.

How does it compare to the SB/Buffalo?

I used to run a super-hot-rodded cd3.5 with a flea + tent clock and another flea powering the DAC's analog supply. It had all the other acoustica mods including alwsrs, opa627s etc.

Now I run a modded SB3 with Buffalo/ivy (run off 4x alwsrs) but don't have the cd3.5 and am interested to learn how you think the two players compare.

A t the mo, I'd say there isn't too much in it and that's in the context of being very impressed with the Squeeze/Buffalo/Ivy. As a benchmark the rest of the system is Avondale's102, Multicap, 2X NCC200 180s (one with your Cap boards in - thank you!) Snaxo and SBLs. I need to have the time to sit down and do some critical listening, but then OTOH, if I need to listen that hard then maybe there isn't a big difference. I am conscious, though, that it may need a little time to settle down. I'm going to leave it playing on repeat all day.

Thank you. Of course, all I did was buy it and pop it into a box! Sounds nice though. I think that what's holding back my system at the mo is the Snaxo. I've replaced the 'lytics (which made an astonishing difference) but haven't got round to the 10uF tants yet. Also, it's being fed from a past-its-best Hicap. My plan is to put local STRs in, following TimH's approach and replace the Hicap with an unregulated 'Hacker-based' supply. And this time I'm going to switch everything off before unplugging so I don't have to buy another tweeter.

Works very well for me, the STRs. I've put four in my ezDAC instead of the on-board regs, and the improvement is quite noticeable.

Ray

Hi Simeon.

Glad you've got your Flea up and running, it's a great upgrade on the standard xo and another Martin Clark gem...

HTH.

Regards
Dave.

Ray, back in post 444 you said you have boards available for sale. I can't get the link to work or open your website. Do you still have boards available?
Enhancer

Thanks Ray,
I figured it out. I'm at work and the IT guy says that some European and Asian sites are blocked for security reasons. It's a general block, so nothing specific about your site. I couldn't get to some UK sites either.
I will try it from home.
Enhancer

Hello,

I have a bare 'Rays flea' pcb, I'm not over confident in working out what parts/values I need to run it as a regulator (no XO) at 1.8v to supply my existing XO IC.

Can anyone help??

Thanks,
Ant

Hi Ant,

You need to run it at 3.3v output. Go back over your CD6003 thread, there is info there from myself and Martin.

Unless you have other ideas?

advertisement

Back