advertisement

Got any petrol or diesel?

Is it a grill at the bottom of the filler pipe to stop a syphon getting far into the tank? Raises an interesting question about how repairers extract fuel from a misfueled car ( petrol instead of diesel etc)
It is a series of baffles in the pipe, yes. If you misfuel the easiest way to empty it is to get underneath, disconnect the fuel line and pump it out with the fuel pump. On modern diesel cars you have to flush everything out anywa y because petrol can damage some components in the injection system.

I don't think my scooter holds more than a fivers worth of petrol :)

That is why I said cars and vans. £30 isn't going to wet the filler pipe of an HGV and motorbikes and the like are not going to take £30. But for the typical car driver £30 should do about half a tank and a couple of days driving (those who travel for work like reps excluded).

It is a series of baffles in the pipe, yes. If you misfuel the easiest way to empty it is to get underneath, disconnect the fuel line and pump it out with the fuel pump. On modern diesel cars you have to flush everything out anywa y because petrol can damage some components in the injection system.
Cheers Steve. I thought siphoning was a current risk- used to hear of it years ago- but didn’t know about the baffles.

There's a small petrol station just round the corner from us here on Islay. It's open, but there's no one queueing. Might fill up before heading off to Jura tomorrow, then orf to Campbeltown (SWMBO'S hometown) before popping over to Arran for a bit.
Campbeltown you say? I know the place, it once had a reputation for, ahem, altercations , back when the NATO refuelling jetty was used by visiting navies and RAF Strike Command was at Macrihanish . Does she give you a regular kicking?

Well, what colour were indigenous Brits then? Besides the point was that in the event of a break down of the social order I believe that certain communities in the UK - apart from - and I'll say it again! - indigenous Brits - will have much stronger social networks in place, such as religious one's, to better help each other out. While we will just hunker down and fight each other over toilet roll or fuel.

So, just to be clear, you think only white people can be British?

We drove down from Newcastle on Friday help our disabled daughter move flats over this weekend. After an extended tour of South London petrol stations including one queue where unleaded ran out two cars ahead of us, I’ve had to abandon the car and get the train home.

Will come back to try to refuel and get it home next weekend, but if this weekend is anything to go by I can see some some of the stand-offs I’ve witnessed developing into pitched battles by then.

Extraordinary times these.

Pale, freckled skin and ginger-haired.
Sounds about right. The Celts though have got that black hair/blue eyes/pale skin thing going on. I'm sure that they would have been one of the tribes wandering around this corner of Europe back in the year dot.
I'm currently thinking of the 20-something Dolores O'Riordan as a quintessential Celt. I may need to have a cold shower, I'm having impure thoughts.

Y'all can go away unless you know what Woad is, how to prepare it, & when to wear it - without clothes.

meanwhile, esp. in current times ...is it wrong to have bad ancestral dreams about knee-level, big, scythe-y, hub-centric spinning blades..? One axially-mounted-on-each-wheel, sort-of-thing ..?

I passed three petrol stations on the way home from work at 7pm with no queues at all. Crises don’t seem to exist when folk would rather be at home with their feet up.

I'm currently thinking of the 20-something Dolores O'Riordan as a quintessential Celt. I may need to have a cold shower, I'm having impure thoughts.

I met her once. Just when the first single came out and she still had long hair.

My one abiding memory was of her being very quiet and shy - not the rock 'n' roll person she turned into.

Did they have any petrol?
Seems most have run out.
There were cars on the forecourt, so I assumed so. One of them had a tanker delivering (again, I assume that is what it was doing) as I drove the other way at 8.30 this morning. Queues at that time.

I passed three petrol stations on the way home from work at 7pm with no queues at all. Crises don’t seem to exist when folk would rather be at home with their feet up.

They had probably run out! I thought I'd got lucky at all three I passed, only to see hand written notes pinned up saying no fuel.

advertisement

Back