advertisement

Goodmans tweeters. Which DT?!

Still to this day i haven't used them for more than a few minutes to test they worked!
When i was researching them i happened upon a pair of Mezzo 3 that i liked the look of so they were retired to the garage where they still reside.

mezzo three look like they’d be great speakers. I read about how well they were designed. About how the port slowed the speaker to go deeper, but robbed the big driver of its extension upwards. They didn’t have a tweeter that could go lower to compensate, so they had to search for one, and apparently the seas one they ended up sourcing, does a great job of crossing over relatively low andth3 pair of drivers in that cabinet is a marriage made in heaven. I’ll need to hear a pair one of these days. I think the ten inch drive in them is the same as in my hmv speakers, and for the tweeters, they use the paper cone driver used in the magnums and magister as the mid squaker. It’s great as a tweeter actually. You really have to be sitting in the sweet spot though with these. Still, these hmvs are remarkable performers considering they were made cheap to a budget for by Goodmans for hmv, and have such thin cabs, and especially since I got them for a tenner!

Mine took an evening to wake up. The first few minutes they didn’t really sound all that great infact. I also replaced all the gaskets and screwed the cabinets together with better self tapping screws to make them more airtight and solid. That improved the low end more than I thought it would.

I suspect your hmvs have potential to sound really good too. You should maybe get them out and have a wee play again.

Do you really think so little of them that you were prepared to sacrifice them for their tweeters for some random guy on pink fish?!

mezzo three look like they’d be great speakers. I read about how well they were designed. About how the port slowed the speaker to go deeper, but robbed the big driver of its extension upwards. They didn’t have a tweeter that could go lower to compensate, so they had to search for one, and apparently the seas one they ended up sourcing, does a great job of crossing over relatively low andth3 pair of drivers in that cabinet is a marriage made in heaven. I’ll need to hear a pair one of these days. I think the ten inch drive in them is the same as in my hmv speakers, and for the tweeters, they use the paper cone driver used in the magnums and magister as the mid squaker. It’s great as a tweeter actually. You really have to be sitting in the sweet spot though with these. Still, these hmvs are remarkable performers considering they were made cheap to a budget for by Goodmans for hmv, and have such thin cabs, and especially since I got them for a tenner!

Mine took an evening to wake up. The first few minutes they didn’t really sound all that great infact. I also replaced all the gaskets and screwed the cabinets together with better self tapping screws to make them more airtight and solid. That improved the low end more than I thought it would.

I suspect your hmvs have potential to sound really good too. You should maybe get them out and have a wee play again.

Do you really think so little of them that you were prepared to sacrifice them for their tweeters for some random guy on pink fish?!

If memory serves i gave £5.50 for them on a whim (they were on my doorstep) a couple of days later, if that.. the Mezzo's popped up and i now have more speakers than i know what to do with!

It has crossed my mind to strip them iirc there's 4x 8" drivers and 2 dt3 tweeters they might be worth something to someone

Hi
New to this forum. I've got some ministers and SL's. So this thread interests me.
Does anyone know if the Havant bass drivers are the same as the goodmans SL bass drivers?
I'm asking as I believe the voice coil knackered on my pair and someone on a selling site has a Havant driver for sale and was considering buying it to replace myn.
I believe I'm looking for an 02N3H 4ohm

Cheers

Yes, unless I've been really unlucky in my purchases, these DT units don't appear to age very well. I intended to open up a bad one to find out if it had ferrofluid inside it, but I couldn't prise the damn thing open! I'm afraid I don't know about the potential compatibility of modern tweeters.

Another option would be to source a pair of Philips AD 0160 or Philips AD 0161 tweeters. Goodmans used these in Magnum K2 and Magnum SL models as well as their own DT units, I'm not sure which tweeters were used first or why they switched, but I can report that the Philips tweeters age much better, or at least the couple of pairs of units I measured do. As you can see in this graph, the response is nice and smooth and well-matched.
The ones in my goodmans SL's seem great still. The only problem is the driver is done in. Scratchy noise when pushing the cone softly.
Do you know if the Havant driver is the same, as theres one for sale I'm considering
Yes, I was aware of Troel's comments and I'm still not entirely sure what his message is! I've owned Goodmans Minister/SL, Havant/SL, Mezzo/SL, Magnum K2/SL and Magister, at various times, some with the DT unit and some with the Philips unit, and I generally preferred the Philips unit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a superb tweeter, but it's good enough IMO to be used in these Goodmans models and is not inferior to the DT model, especially when you take the unpredictable effects of ageing into consideration. Again, this is only my opinion. If you're able to get a pair of DTs at a good price in good working order then I'd recommend starting there. If you don't like the DTs, then you can try the Philips. If you don't like the Philips either, then it's back to the drawing board!

Do you know if tha Havant 8" driver was the same for the goodmans SL's?
Theres one for sale on ebay but I want to make sure it matches. The only other one on there is going for £60 (incl postage) specifically a goodmans SL but I think this is a bit steep considering I paid a £100 for the speakers.
The driver should be an 02N3H
Cheers

The ones in my goodmans SL's seem great still. The only problem is the driver is done in. Scratchy noise when pushing the cone softly.
Do you know if the Havant driver is the same, as theres one for sale I'm considering

Do you know if tha Havant 8" driver was the same for the goodmans SL's?
Theres one for sale on ebay but I want to make sure it matches. The only other one on there is going for £60 (incl postage) specifically a goodmans SL but I think this is a bit steep considering I paid a £100 for the speakers.
The driver should be an 02N3H
Cheers
What do you mean by "Goodmans SL"? Do you mean "Minister SL", "Havant SL", or "Magnum SL"? As far as I know, each SL version uses the same bass driver as its non-SL counterpart, plus I also believe the Minister and Havant both share the same bass driver. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "Goodmans SL"? Do you mean "Minister SL", "Havant SL", or "Magnum SL"? As far as I know, each SL version uses the same bass driver as its non-SL counterpart, plus I also believe the Minister and Havant both share the same bass driver. I hope that helps.
That does help mate. Yes I meant the minister SL's. Cheers

I've just recieved a message from a seller for the minister havant crossover who also has a driver. This is an 02N3J.
The minister SL is an 02N3H.
I'm not sure if this is a significant difference if the last letter is a stock to match stock or it's a different frequency?

..just to add they're both 4ohm and 8" and dont look that much different.
The plot thickens

Last edited:

advertisement

Back