advertisement

Goodmans Power Range Audiom 12-P speakers

beammeup

pfm Member
They are solid looking speakers, 15 ohm design, this is another box I opened up while the weather was nice (as well as another pair of boxes)

I thought I would show you some pictures, they are full range that much I do know after hooking them up.

I’m not understanding the Tannoy connection? They are 12” Goodmans Audiom!

PS Some of the Goodmans full-range drivers are excellent, though these look more like bass units to me as they don’t have a ‘whizzer’ cone centre.

I’m not understanding the Tannoy connection? They are 12” Goodmans Audiom!

PS Some of the Goodmans full-range drivers are excellent, though these look more like bass units to me as they don’t have a ‘whizzer’ cone centre.

Sorry my mistake! Goodmans, title now changed! Anyway, yes these deliver some sweet treble so they are full range speakers and I agree they ‘look’ like bass woofers!

These were intended as instrument amplifier speakers, so likely exhibit the usual rising response across the 'presence' region.

These were intended as instrument amplifier speakers, so likely exhibit the usual rising response across the 'presence' region.

They are fun to mess about with - but I will probably put them up on ebay at some point. Meanwhile I have found info on the net about them here: http://www.ajaudio.co.uk/GOODMANS POWER RANGE SPEAKER CATALOGUE.pdf. The 12-P's typical application is Public Address Outdoors, Musical Instrument Amplification - Pop Organs, "This popular workhorse in the range gives satisfactory performance in a wide variety of uses".

I wonder if such speakers could be used as a very high quality transducer in a high quality seperates system (with low powered valve amps perhaps due to 96dB sensitivity and crossover-less design being full range) when enclosed in a more suitable domestic friendly cabinet?

Looking at the frequency response, It desperately needs a tweeter, and that 10db peak between 2 and 4k doesn't look good.

It may be fun but It's definitely not accurate.

The peak is intentional. PA speakers, guitar amps speakers, etc. are not intended to be accurate; more a case of them being able to project sound in difficult environments. In a live setting, the musician controls the overall sound using drive, bass, mid, treble and volume controls on their amplifier. In the studio, this is often further equalized by the studio engineer.

Having said that, they could very well sound lovely with a valve amp but you'll likely as not need an equalizer to get there.

Looking at the frequency response, It desperately needs a tweeter, and that 10db peak between 2 and 4k doesn't look good.

It may be fun but It's definitely not accurate.

Strange - despite the specs in the graph, and the look of the cones in that you would expect this just to be a bass woofer, the treble is coming through nice and clear? Playing them outside in the garden probably does not allow me to discern any real limitations that easily, but good strong treble is certainly evident.

Just yesterday, in another thread on here, I was reminiscing about how, back in the late 1960s, my best mate and I used to play his parents all-in-one stereo system through his Fender Twin amp from 1962, and loved it.

Despite the conversion to mono, back then one would have to spend a very large amount of money on hi-fi separates to get the same level of quality of sound.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back