advertisement

Goodbye, Naim!

It appears that the OP is missing in action, perhaps busy enjoying his newly acquired jewel. Why don't you gentlemen focus on the new hifi which seems rather niche, rather than keep talking about Naim.

The Alnic L5000. A quick search revealed that this thing costs US$22,900.

8-L5000-DHT.jpg

It may sound stellar and the sound quality may be out of this world but based on looks alone I would pass.

I am the man with no Naim.

But a mate said to me my kit has the Naim sound. I nodded along but wonder now what that means?

The Naim sound associated with most of their kit is fast, forward and exciting. It gets your feet moving. If you don't like it then it sounds harsh and shouty. But if you like what it does then not much else will do.

Me? No thanks. It's edgy, wearing and shouty.

Cue more shouting from the fans.

The Naim sound associated with most of their kit is fast, forward and exciting. It gets your feet moving. If you don't like it then it sounds harsh and shouty. But if you like what it does then not much else will do.

Cue more shouting from the fans.
A gentle whisper from me - mine really doesn't. If ever you're in Suffolk (and why not? It's the greatest place on the planet. Probably), you'd be very welcome to have a listen. Personally, I'm never entirely sure what's supposed to constitute the Naim sound. Active sounds different to passive. Ovators different to SBLs. Chrome stuff to 500 Series kit. You can easily set it up to sound sh*t, as with any other brand of hi-fi (never heard it sound good at hi-fi shows, with the possible exception of the Signals one).

My first Naim system was the close to the cheapest possible at the time - CD3.5, 92R/90.3, Credos - and while it did have a lot of initial impact it was a bit wearing over time - although it was better with a smoother CD player instead of the CD3.5. Thats' gradually morphed into CD3.5/Flatcap, 32.5/SNAPS2/IXO/2 x 140, active Credo's and that's a much, much more generally competent set-up and very listenable long term.

although it was better with a smoother CD player instead of the CD3.5.
That I can believe, a friend had a 3.5 (or was it a 3?), I could have had it dirt cheap from him some years ago, but I didn't like the sound. Very hard, very olive Naim.

A gentle whisper from me - mine really doesn't. If ever you're in Suffolk (and why not? It's the greatest place on the planet. Probably), you'd be very welcome to have a listen. Personally, I'm never entirely sure what's supposed to constitute the Naim sound. Active sounds different to passive. Ovators different to SBLs. Chrome stuff to 500 Series kit. You can easily set it up to sound sh*t, as with any other brand of hi-fi (never heard it sound good at hi-fi shows, with the possible exception of the Signals one).
Thanks Tony, I'll bear that in mind. I had some work in Suffolk a while back, a Christmas season with Bernie Matthews, I might get there again. I'd very much like a listen to a Naim that doesn't sound like the ones I have heard a shows, a friend's 52/135/DBLs and olive era Naits etc. Nothing against any of those, I just didn't like them. As for Suffolk, I like it well enough. However it can't be the greatest place on the planet, because it's not in the Yorkshire Dales.

That I can believe, a friend had a 3.5 (or was it a 3?), I could have had it dirt cheap from him some years ago, but I didn't like the sound. Very hard, very olive Naim.

I used to prefer the CD3.5 in a non-Naim system because in combination with Naim amplification it could become a bit too aggressive for long term use. Adding a flatcap definitely changed that though - it's a far better CD player with the external supply.

My gear is, and has been for over four decades; Naim, Sugden, EAR de Paravicini, and SME.
Why? Because it sounds as good as anything else, but all of it can still be serviced by the people who made it.
All hi-fi will fail eventually, and I have had to use all of the above service departments. In each case, without hassle, and items returned as good as new for many more years service.
I like the sound my gear makes, but it is the customer service that makes me a fan.

Oops, I forgot about my LP12 and Townshend Rock. But you still get the picture.

advertisement

Back