Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye, Naim!

Discussion in 'audio' started by tvheadhunter, May 3, 2016.

1. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

You have a point but the last piece of hifi I bought was probably 15 years ago. If starting from now I would have a one box front end with a pair of ATC actives. I also wouldn't have to support circa 900 vinyl LPs.

Andrew C! likes this.
  2. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

I came back to my Naim rig proper after over 10 years using my down time to practice piano and get to a reasonable level. I then realised my taste, and possibly hearing, had changed. Put up with it for another 2 years or so, and then tried a few different options. Now only the Fraim and N-Cent is left.

We are allowed to change our minds and hifi to suit. That’s what makes the hobby interesting sometimes.

3. Andrew C!

Yep. Very good point. Will be interesting to see how often I put an LP on once the new rig is settled in and working.

4. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

So, to clarify, to avoid feeling like a member of an imaginary cult, you changed your power amplifier for one you ‘knew would not be better’?

It’s an interesting upgrade strategy, admittedly, but not one I can see catching on any time soon...

5. abbydog

abbydog pfm Member

Have you ever actually owned any of this stuff you go on about? I do wonder sometimes. For the record, I think some of the lesser ‘pleb’ kit was better and less gutless than the 500 crap I had. Of course, I realise it’s all completely different now they’ve milked the DR thing - like completely different kit, I bet. Transformed, even.

I still want to know how a company that produced some of the most embarrassing sounding speakers ever (Ovators, DBLs anybody) supposedly suddenly gets it right when it comes to amplifiers. Naim digital - I thought not.

Incidentally, could any of the shills reading this tell ‘em that their incessant YouTube adverts for the Chi-fi Muso thing are really annoying and must be counter-productive. Pity they can’t confine themselves to the Naim forum

6. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

Oh goody! Our resident Naim troll pops out of his hole with his (or her?) usual spew. Seriously, you do need to seek help.

7. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Yes, it will. You're going Dutch & Dutch in terms of speakers with a DAC front end? I probably still have CD as my main source but like having vinyl, some of which has proved to be a good investment.

8. George J

George J Herefordshire member

For many years I had Naim components in my replay, but I did not mention it when I no longer had any.

I enjoyed my Naim kit at the time and was glad of the experience.

On the other hand, I can never see me owning Naim again. For a start it is very expensive compared to other replay kit these days.

Best wishes from George

Andrew C! likes this.
  9. Andrew C!

Hi Woodface,

I have a lot of original vinyl from the 70’s and 80’s, which have seen several record players. I’ll always have some capacity to play them.

All my cds are ripped onto an Innuos server.

Woodface likes this.
  10. naimplayer

naimplayer Aspiring to be a halfwit.

How eloquent, hat is doffed .
    Respect.

Good luck

JonR and Andrew C! like this.
  11. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

I have a Supernait 2 that I'm happy with (it seems to like my speakers). But I don't have a "Naim system" - it's the only Naim component, and will remain so because my hi-fi is nicely settled now. I certainly have no intention of buying "upgrades" in the form of additional power supplies. An amplifier this expensive should have an excellent power supply in the first place.

12. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Can you make it a dungeon?

Jack

naimplayer likes this.
  13. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

It wasn't bad, was it? Now I wonder if we've hit the Naim-thread menopause, as they seem to be getting even more heated, testy and irrational.

14. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

I like U2

stephen bennett likes this.
  15. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

You too?

Me too, but only up until Achtung Baby and skipping most of Prattle and Hum.

16. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

This is the audio forum of a music and hifi enthusiasts site... I mean, what were you thinking? ;)

Seriously, if you want to share some aspect of your hifi journey this is exactly the place to do it.

17. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

I never thought that Naim was 'The Best'. My first exposure to a 'proper' system was an active valve system into Tannoy DCs all fed by an LP12, bloody brilliant. As an impecunious student I then went on the hunt for what I could afford what got me closest to this. Having gained my first job and listened to LOTS of HiFi I bought a fully fettled LP12 + 42.5/110. Not as good but very enjoyable.

Since then both Naim and I have been on journeys. I prefer the current Naim Classic amps to the CB that I STILL own, although I haven't used Naim as my main amps for decades. I use a CB250 to power my rear speakers, and have a couple more in the loft; selling them seemed wrong.

So, that is the end of Naim for me, apart from the ARO and geddon of course .....or so I thought. My Focal speakers got mullered by the cats and a friend lent me a pair of Mk I SBLs; they are now mine and all I can say is that they are BRILLIANT. Powered by Nord One Up NC500.

I am somewhat non-plused by any strong emotion towards ANY make. Naim make some excellent HiFi at a price I consider ridiculous, but that doesn't stop it sounding great when well set up. I prefer the Naim Company of JV and his philosophy, but the world moves on and there are a number of reasons for the changes, and not all of them are down to nefarious bean counters.

I am pleased Naim still exists, are still UK based and carry on giving employment and paying tax here; long may they continue.

18. lagavullin10y

lagavullin10y pfm Member

Me too, it has a cd drive.

19. puddlesplasher

puddlesplasher pfm Member

U2 Me too. And I'm not ashamed to admit it and playing them on my Naim CD player now. Ok I lied its an Exposure CD player but I do like Naim CD players as well, sorry.

20. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I don't like U2, I do have a naim system. What does that mean?

21. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Grow up FFS!

Andrew C! likes this.