advertisement

Goodbye, Naim!

Perhaps.

It would likely also show just how vain and hopelessly over priced much available hifi is.

That wasn't the only point though. I think that most folks nowadays can get close to very good hifi for not much. They can get high end with phones and headphones anyway but I think you can now get very, very close with home components too spending very little, except for speakers.

Nothing wrong with spending thousands if you got it and enjoy the result of course but for many, that's not exactly the reality.
You have a point but the last piece of hifi I bought was probably 15 years ago. If starting from now I would have a one box front end with a pair of ATC actives. I also wouldn't have to support circa 900 vinyl LPs.

Also, I'm beginning to think my preferences/needs are shifting as I get older. My wife is a nurse and informs me that men in particular find it more difficult to isolate conversation from background noise as they get older. I've noticed this get a lot worse the past year - I'm forever ask my wife to repeat herself.

I came back to my Naim rig proper after over 10 years using my down time to practice piano and get to a reasonable level. I then realised my taste, and possibly hearing, had changed. Put up with it for another 2 years or so, and then tried a few different options. Now only the Fraim and N-Cent is left.

We are allowed to change our minds and hifi to suit. That’s what makes the hobby interesting sometimes.

I realized my loyalty was still almost cult-like, and I finally capitulated and brought home the Allnic L5000. I just knew it would not be better than the 552, so I wasn't being unfaithful.

So, to clarify, to avoid feeling like a member of an imaginary cult, you changed your power amplifier for one you ‘knew would not be better’?

It’s an interesting upgrade strategy, admittedly, but not one I can see catching on any time soon...

500 stuff or lesser?

Have you ever actually owned any of this stuff you go on about? I do wonder sometimes. For the record, I think some of the lesser ‘pleb’ kit was better and less gutless than the 500 crap I had. Of course, I realise it’s all completely different now they’ve milked the DR thing - like completely different kit, I bet. Transformed, even.

I still want to know how a company that produced some of the most embarrassing sounding speakers ever (Ovators, DBLs anybody) supposedly suddenly gets it right when it comes to amplifiers. Naim digital - I thought not.

Incidentally, could any of the shills reading this tell ‘em that their incessant YouTube adverts for the Chi-fi Muso thing are really annoying and must be counter-productive. Pity they can’t confine themselves to the Naim forum

Yep. Very good point. Will be interesting to see how often I put an LP on once the new rig is settled in and working.
Yes, it will. You're going Dutch & Dutch in terms of speakers with a DAC front end? I probably still have CD as my main source but like having vinyl, some of which has proved to be a good investment.

For many years I had Naim components in my replay, but I did not mention it when I no longer had any.

I enjoyed my Naim kit at the time and was glad of the experience.

On the other hand, I can never see me owning Naim again. For a start it is very expensive compared to other replay kit these days.

Best wishes from George

Hi Woodface,

I have a lot of original vinyl from the 70’s and 80’s, which have seen several record players. I’ll always have some capacity to play them.

All my cds are ripped onto an Innuos server.

I have a Supernait 2 that I'm happy with (it seems to like my speakers). But I don't have a "Naim system" - it's the only Naim component, and will remain so because my hi-fi is nicely settled now. I certainly have no intention of buying "upgrades" in the form of additional power supplies. An amplifier this expensive should have an excellent power supply in the first place.

Like many very popular things it's become fashionable to claim to dislike Naim! You will rarely find anyone who admits to watching a soap opera yet millions do, or to find someone that claims to like U2 yet their concert tours are always sold out. It's actually a compliment in many ways! It will pass and the cult will survive ;-)
I like U2

Some of you may have missed the tongue in cheek nature of my post.

This is the audio forum of a music and hifi enthusiasts site... I mean, what were you thinking? ;)

Seriously, if you want to share some aspect of your hifi journey this is exactly the place to do it.

I never thought that Naim was 'The Best'. My first exposure to a 'proper' system was an active valve system into Tannoy DCs all fed by an LP12, bloody brilliant. As an impecunious student I then went on the hunt for what I could afford what got me closest to this. Having gained my first job and listened to LOTS of HiFi I bought a fully fettled LP12 + 42.5/110. Not as good but very enjoyable.

Since then both Naim and I have been on journeys. I prefer the current Naim Classic amps to the CB that I STILL own, although I haven't used Naim as my main amps for decades. I use a CB250 to power my rear speakers, and have a couple more in the loft; selling them seemed wrong.

So, that is the end of Naim for me, apart from the ARO and geddon of course .....or so I thought. My Focal speakers got mullered by the cats and a friend lent me a pair of Mk I SBLs; they are now mine and all I can say is that they are BRILLIANT. Powered by Nord One Up NC500.

I am somewhat non-plused by any strong emotion towards ANY make. Naim make some excellent HiFi at a price I consider ridiculous, but that doesn't stop it sounding great when well set up. I prefer the Naim Company of JV and his philosophy, but the world moves on and there are a number of reasons for the changes, and not all of them are down to nefarious bean counters.

I am pleased Naim still exists, are still UK based and carry on giving employment and paying tax here; long may they continue.

U2 Me too. And I'm not ashamed to admit it and playing them on my Naim CD player now. Ok I lied its an Exposure CD player but I do like Naim CD players as well, sorry.

Have you ever actually owned any of this stuff you go on about? I do wonder sometimes. For the record, I think some of the lesser ‘pleb’ kit was better and less gutless than the 500 crap I had. Of course, I realise it’s all completely different now they’ve milked the DR thing - like completely different kit, I bet. Transformed, even.

I still want to know how a company that produced some of the most embarrassing sounding speakers ever (Ovators, DBLs anybody) supposedly suddenly gets it right when it comes to amplifiers. Naim digital - I thought not.

Incidentally, could any of the shills reading this tell ‘em that their incessant YouTube adverts for the Chi-fi Muso thing are really annoying and must be counter-productive. Pity they can’t confine themselves to the Naim forum

Grow up FFS!

advertisement

Back