Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye, Naim!

Discussion in 'audio' started by tvheadhunter, May 3, 2016.

1. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

You would think some have managed to escape some end of the world cult when leaving Naim, there is even a congratulations from an earlier post, for leaving :confused:
    Very strange, the cult of Naim.

2. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Like many very popular things it's become fashionable to claim to dislike Naim! You will rarely find anyone who admits to watching a soap opera yet millions do, or to find someone that claims to like U2 yet their concert tours are always sold out. It's actually a compliment in many ways! It will pass and the cult will survive ;-)

3. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Nail on the head

The list is endless

Just not coooool :cool:

4. gary yeowell

gary yeowell pfm Member

Well said!

5. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

No, a fist full of dollars

6. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

well I must be a rare one - I don't watch soaps and never heard a U2 record/song ( I think, not intentionally )

7. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand pfm Member

@Clay B: Ymmd! Indeed: Who cares if somebody move away from a customer, maybe in a customer group forum, but here everybody buys different stuff.

8. tvheadhunter

tvheadhunter pfm Member

Some of you may have missed the tongue in cheek nature of my post. But in all honesty, Naim does a great job of building brand loyalty, much like Coke, McDonald's, Guinness, Nike, etc. I'm pleased my post did not result in Naim bashing, because that was not the intention.

I wouild say that Naim does convince you that certain elements of the music listening experience are not important, and I bought into that until I could hear something that delivers those things plus the all important musical engagement that Naim absolutely does well.

9. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

I've had many brands in my 40+ years in hifi. Never even considered Naim no matter how it sounds. IMHO It costs expensive but looks cheap.

10. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Odd that.

I seem to have been very fashionable ever since I first heard Naim.

I don't care whether Naim survives or not. If it makes some people happy, that's OK. I just don't need to hear that it is somehow special. It isn't.

Different? Yep.

Mull

11. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

And I guess you didn't inhale either ;)

12. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

Great post Mick. Just like the old days on the Naim Forum. Hope you and Mrs. Mick are enjoying your retirement.

Clay
    (282/Supercap/250.2/CDS-3/XPS-2/Superline/Unitiqute.......)

13. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

Ex-smokers are usually the worst ... . :)

14. raysablade

raysablade pfm Member

Given the residuals; Naim gear, especially that bought secondhand, is some of the cheapest you can buy.

In most cases Naim owners are the only ones who can afford to jump ship and tell the tale.

15. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

I have never heard a naim amp. am curious to know what they sound like and what the fuss is all about. I have heard they boogy but dont image thats all I know

jamesd likes this.
  16. venton

venton pfm Member

Hopefully, all any amp should do is just let the music through unhindered. I believe this is what the original Naim designer tried to do. Where all this PRAT nonsense came from I've no idea.

17. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Do you consider timing to be an important part of music reproducton, the feeling everything is of a piece so to speak, not lacklustre, slow but engaging, holding your attention, your description of letting the music through unhindered is basically exactly the thing you state as nonesense a little later.,that basically sums up pace rhythm & timing, i find it enhances anything i listen to, i know some think it's a marketing nonesense, not for me, take it away & the music is found wanting in my experience,

I suppose it's how you look at the term, prat is a very silly way to describe music.

18. Rana

Rana pfm Member

I also have no Naim now. I like my kit a lot (especially my Linx amp), but there is a strange emptiness...

19. venton

venton pfm Member

Well the music has all the ingredients, just need to let it through. Yes the Prat thing is just stupid marketing word, it's not like it has to be added, just let through.

20. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

My Rotel allows for escellent pace rhytm & timing, nothing to do with marketing as it's never mentioned with Budget Rotel gear.

I'm surprised, after reading your posts, you think timing is nonesense because it seems you describe this quite often when describing how you enterpret music.

A system should not add anything such as pace rhythm or timing, the music recorded should have this, but a system can destroy it, i have encounterted may that slow the music, add bass bloat, over smooth things or hype them up, all this destroys the natural flow for me, this is timing.

If you want to experience, pace, rhythm & timing , a full on jazz band is a good place to start, if this isn't your cup of tea, then James Brown live at full pelt, the band are as tight as a rock with James conducting every note & beat to fit in with his vocal.

Prince - Sign 'o the times tour is a masterclass in this.