advertisement

Goodbye, Naim!

You would think some have managed to escape some end of the world cult when leaving Naim, there is even a congratulations from an earlier post, for leaving :confused:
Very strange, the cult of Naim.

Like many very popular things it's become fashionable to claim to dislike Naim! You will rarely find anyone who admits to watching a soap opera yet millions do, or to find someone that claims to like U2 yet their concert tours are always sold out. It's actually a compliment in many ways! It will pass and the cult will survive ;-)

Like many very popular things it's become fashionable to claim to dislike Naim! You will rarely find anyone who admits to watching a soap opera yet millions do, or to find someone that claims to like U2 yet their concert tours are always sold out. It's actually a compliment in many ways! It will pass and the cult will survive ;-)

Well said!

well I must be a rare one - I don't watch soaps and never heard a U2 record/song ( I think, not intentionally )

@Clay B: Ymmd! Indeed: Who cares if somebody move away from a customer, maybe in a customer group forum, but here everybody buys different stuff.

Some of you may have missed the tongue in cheek nature of my post. But in all honesty, Naim does a great job of building brand loyalty, much like Coke, McDonald's, Guinness, Nike, etc. I'm pleased my post did not result in Naim bashing, because that was not the intention.

I wouild say that Naim does convince you that certain elements of the music listening experience are not important, and I bought into that until I could hear something that delivers those things plus the all important musical engagement that Naim absolutely does well.

I've had many brands in my 40+ years in hifi. Never even considered Naim no matter how it sounds. IMHO It costs expensive but looks cheap.

Odd that.

I seem to have been very fashionable ever since I first heard Naim.

I don't care whether Naim survives or not. If it makes some people happy, that's OK. I just don't need to hear that it is somehow special. It isn't.

Different? Yep.

Mull

Greetings Clay

Yes I can see your point but we are all humans and when we embark on the journey of starting with a Naim system, our hearts and emotions are musically uplifted to heights we have never known before . The music becomes clearer and more alive and fills our souls with joy and love. We race to get home after the days work just to put some music on and all this all comes from those little black boxes built with precision and care at Salisbury.

The experience of listening to music on a Naim system transcends all others and our immediate reaction is to communicate our passion and joy to all who will listen, such is the loyalty and love that Naim inspires to us who listen to music on it.

People who use Naim are nice people who want others to experience their joy and that means we communicate our good fortune every so often to those that we want to experience music with the same vibrancy as we hear it.

Yesterday I played Maria Callas on my Naim and the music was fantastic and every man, woman and child in the world should be allowed to experience the wonderful sounds that I was privileged to hear.

Such is the enthusiasm that Naim whips up, there is nothing that even comes near to it and it is only natural that we want to communicate our experiences to others.

We want nothing than for others to join in with us and listen to music with the same level of satisfaction that we have.

I hope you can forgive our passion.

Regards

Mick

Great post Mick. Just like the old days on the Naim Forum. Hope you and Mrs. Mick are enjoying your retirement.

Clay
(282/Supercap/250.2/CDS-3/XPS-2/Superline/Unitiqute.......)

Given the residuals; Naim gear, especially that bought secondhand, is some of the cheapest you can buy.

In most cases Naim owners are the only ones who can afford to jump ship and tell the tale.

I have never heard a naim amp. am curious to know what they sound like and what the fuss is all about. I have heard they boogy but dont image thats all I know

I have never heard a naim amp. am curious to know what they sound like and what the fuss is all about. I have heard they boogy but dont image thats all I know

Hopefully, all any amp should do is just let the music through unhindered. I believe this is what the original Naim designer tried to do. Where all this PRAT nonsense came from I've no idea.

Hopefully, all any amp should do is just let the music through unhindered. I believe this is what the original Naim designer tried to do. Where all this PRAT nonsense came from I've no idea.
Do you consider timing to be an important part of music reproducton, the feeling everything is of a piece so to speak, not lacklustre, slow but engaging, holding your attention, your description of letting the music through unhindered is basically exactly the thing you state as nonesense a little later.,that basically sums up pace rhythm & timing, i find it enhances anything i listen to, i know some think it's a marketing nonesense, not for me, take it away & the music is found wanting in my experience,

I suppose it's how you look at the term, prat is a very silly way to describe music.

I also have no Naim now. I like my kit a lot (especially my Linx amp), but there is a strange emptiness...

Well the music has all the ingredients, just need to let it through. Yes the Prat thing is just stupid marketing word, it's not like it has to be added, just let through.

My Rotel allows for escellent pace rhytm & timing, nothing to do with marketing as it's never mentioned with Budget Rotel gear.

I'm surprised, after reading your posts, you think timing is nonesense because it seems you describe this quite often when describing how you enterpret music.

A system should not add anything such as pace rhythm or timing, the music recorded should have this, but a system can destroy it, i have encounterted may that slow the music, add bass bloat, over smooth things or hype them up, all this destroys the natural flow for me, this is timing.

If you want to experience, pace, rhythm & timing , a full on jazz band is a good place to start, if this isn't your cup of tea, then James Brown live at full pelt, the band are as tight as a rock with James conducting every note & beat to fit in with his vocal.

Prince - Sign 'o the times tour is a masterclass in this.

advertisement

Back