advertisement

Good vintage CD player buys?

I think those 4 RCA's are Coaxial out,3 carrying digital info to either a 5,1 Processor,or the single one feeding a DAC,, you won't be able to use it as a stand alone CD player,just think of it as a Transport really, do you have a DAC,if so just attach the outputs labelled L/R for stereo use,Meridian gear can be peculiar at times, especially the 500 and G series, with lots variations, but all looking alike from the front
Oh no. I will have to return it as I wanted it as a player.

I do not know if you saw my post, but I received the unit and am having difficulties as in does it allow rca to amp hook up. I briefly tried hooking it up with RCA’s without success. Seller less than helpful here.

thanks
I think @andvinylly hit the nail on the head - I didn't have a DP but a different version. If you see a 596 it's a very good transport - very close to a 500 Mk2. The 596 stereo analogue outputs are pretty good, but as I noted adding a 566 DAC was a substantial improvement. As you'd reasonably expect.

I think @andvinylly hit the nail on the head - I didn't have a DP but a different version. If you see a 596 it's a very good transport - very close to a 500 Mk2. The 596 stereo analogue outputs are pretty good, but as I noted adding a 566 DAC was a substantial improvement. As you'd reasonably expect.
I don’t want to go the two box route at the moment. What do you think of the G98 DH CD?

I don’t want to go the two box route at the moment. What do you think of the G98 DH CD?

You would be in exactly the same boat as the DH version is digital out only, you could use the AH version, but you may well find those units to be a little rarer, and also more expensive
Having used Meridian CD players for many years now,I think if you could find a 508.24,507,you should be pleased, they are old machines now, but still perform very well, just need to aware that getting NOS parts are very hard to source nowadays, on the HH site for Meridian you'll find lots of info, reviews etc, best of luck

You would be in exactly the same boat as the DH version is digital out only, you could use the AH version, but you may well find those units to be a little rarer, and also more expensive
Having used Meridian CD players for many years now,I think if you could find a 508.24,507,you should be pleased, they are old machines now, but still perform very well, just need to aware that getting NOS parts are very hard to source nowadays, on the HH site for Meridian you'll find lots of info, reviews etc, best of luck
Thank you. Yes I see it’s a bit of a gamble. Amy preference between the 506, 507 and the 508 varients?

Any thoughts on the Meridian 808?

It'll be a cracking machine I'm sure, but its a few rungs up the ladder from the 500 series .I use an 800 and it has a weighty but agile sound, and its the best I have owned, if I wanted to pick one of the other options I would have another 508.24,no questions I prefer its looks over the G series models, and from what I can pick up, are more reliable, some power supply issues on the G series.I'm sure there are lots of other suggestions for other CDP's,lots of love for some older Japanese models, but one thing I can say for the Meridian gear I have had and still use,is its reliable, and well made.

It'll be a cracking machine I'm sure, but its a few rungs up the ladder from the 500 series .I use an 800 and it has a weighty but agile sound, and its the best I have owned, if I wanted to pick one of the other options I would have another 508.24,no questions I prefer its looks over the G series models, and from what I can pick up, are more reliable, some power supply issues on the G series.I'm sure there are lots of other suggestions for other CDP's,lots of love for some older Japanese models, but one thing I can say for the Meridian gear I have had and still use,is its reliable, and well made.
So I found a supposedly mint 508.24 on Audiogon and purchased it. He was asking too much $1500.00. Comes with the remote. I returned the 596 that was not usable anyway. Hopefully this will turn out well. Thank you

I've been using the same Sony CDP-XB930 for 20+ years. I still really like it! But I sometimes wonder whether an ancient British players from Naim, Meridian etc. might be fun.

What are the good buys for under £400 that aren't going to die on me?

Should I be looking to buy a NOS laser at the same time?

I used to have one of those until I couldnt get the puck off and doing so damaged things. I never liked the sound it just did'nt work for me. Strange as their minidiscs from the same family are fine. I can not remember does it have digital out? maybe get a DAC and just use it as a transport.

I used to have one of those until I couldnt get the puck off and doing so damaged things. I never liked the sound it just did'nt work for me. Strange as their minidiscs from the same family are fine. I can not remember does it have digital out? maybe get a DAC and just use it as a transport.

Thought about that as I could use the same DAC for my Pi. Yonks ago I did actually use it with a Meridian 203 which sounded good but not night and day to be honest with the gear I was using at the time.

So I found a supposedly mint 508.24 on Audiogon and purchased it. He was asking too much $1500.00. Comes with the remote. I returned the 596 that was not usable anyway. Hopefully this will turn out well. Thank you

There are quite a few devotees of Meridian gear in the US,should you need repairs or servicing, i suggest you check out The Hitchikers Guide to Meridian website, for more info, there are one or two checks you can do from a service diagnostic point, that can give you some adjustments as well, the most common problems are the drawer, slowing,or dragging, but can be easily sorted by a competent engineers lovely machine IMHO,and should give years of pleasure,enjoy

There are quite a few devotees of Meridian gear in the US,should you need repairs or servicing, i suggest you check out The Hitchikers Guide to Meridian website, for more info, there are one or two checks you can do from a service diagnostic point, that can give you some adjustments as well, the most common problems are the drawer, slowing,or dragging, but can be easily sorted by a competent engineers lovely machine IMHO,and should give years of pleasure,enjoy
Thanks so much for your help.

Just an update. I bought a 508.24 which was described as mint. It arrived and would not play discs and the drawer was not at all smooth moving. It arrived yesterday and I sent it back today. My hunch is that the packing was inadequate. Hoping the seller honors his guarantee.

advertisement

Back