advertisement

Good vintage CD player buys?

There is a guy who is asking 799.00 but would come down to $600.00. Reports it’s mint with remote. What do you think? Or is a 507 just as good? And what about the 586? Lots of questions…thanks

If it's mint, I'd consider it. Just be aware, there are 3 versions each with different video out types. Check it's the one that works for you if you intend to play DVDs as well. https://www.meridian-audio.info/show.php?compid=155

The 507 is 192kHz / 24 bit and is as good as you can get WRT Red Book playback.

The 586 is the oldest DVD player from Meridian and only plays CD & DVD. It has the older style mechanism.

The 596 is also 192kHz / 24 bit audio for CD and also plays MP3 discs, 96KHz / 24 bit for DVD.

All the info you want is here: https://www.meridian-audio.info/showman.php?seriesid=4

Be warned. It's a slippery slope.

I started with a 206. Eventually got a 506/24. Bought a 557 amp and 501 pre-amp. Sold the 501 for a 568 digital pre-amp. Sold the 557 and speakers for a pair of DSP 5000 (24 bit). Added a 518.

That's served me well for a while but now I'm beginning to think of upgrading the 568 to a G68 or even an 861v4 and DSP 5200 or 5500s.

Good luck.

If it's mint, I'd consider it. Just be aware, there are 3 versions each with different video out types. Check it's the one that works for you if you intend to play DVDs as well. https://www.meridian-audio.info/show.php?compid=155

The 507 is 192kHz / 24 bit and is as good as you can get WRT Red Book playback.

The 586 is the oldest DVD player from Meridian and only plays CD & DVD. It has the older style mechanism.

The 596 is also 192kHz / 24 bit audio for CD and also plays MP3 discs, 96KHz / 24 bit for DVD.

All the info you want is here: https://www.meridian-audio.info/showman.php?seriesid=4

Be warned. It's a slippery slope.

I started with a 206. Eventually got a 506/24. Bought a 557 amp and 501 pre-amp. Sold the 501 for a 568 digital pre-amp. Sold the 557 and speakers for a pair of DSP 5000 (24 bit). Added a 518.

That's served me well for a while but now I'm beginning to think of upgrading the 568 to a G68 or even an 861v4 and DSP 5200 or 5500s.

Good luck.
Thank you. I only want it as a CD player.

It’s a CD/DVD player from Meridian back many years ago.

I ask because I don't see any reference to it on Meridian's page (home and historical) and google turns up nothing, as does hifishark. Is it a G98? 598? Just curious as I have a 596.

Well I pulled the trigger on an 898DP said to be ‘perfect’. I hope so. thanks

Next step will be to buy a 568.2mm or G68 to enjoy DVD-A and MHR.

Like I say, slippery slope. ;)

Let us know how you get on with it.

Hi guys. I received the DP598. Can you connect to an amp with RCA’s?
Thanks

There are 6 variations of the Meridian 598,if its the DP version, it looks like it was intended for use with one of Meridian's processors, like a 562v or 568.mm perhaps, using digital outputs, it should state on the back,if it has analogue outputs, check over on the Hitchickers guide to Meridian,if you're still unsure

There are 6 variations of the Meridian 598,if its the DP version, it looks like it was intended for use with one of Meridian's processors, like a 562v or 568.mm perhaps, using digital outputs, it should state on the back,if it has analogue outputs, check over on the Hitchickers guide to Meridian,if you're still unsure
The seller claims he was using it with RCA’s but who knows. It does have 4 rca inputs but it’s unclear what the intended use is for them. No Manuel. Thanks

Thanks! That's what I thought.

@Linus - I had a 598, and have a 596. Both are rather dramatically improved by running through a DAC - a Meridian 566 was a night and day improvement over either player on its own.
I do not know if you saw my post, but I received the unit and am having difficulties as in does it allow rca to amp hook up. I briefly tried hooking it up with RCA’s without success. Seller less than helpful here.

thanks

The seller claims he was using it with RCA’s but who knows. It does have 4 rca inputs but it’s unclear what the intended use is for them. No Manuel. Thanks

I think those 4 RCA's are Coaxial out,3 carrying digital info to either a 5,1 Processor,or the single one feeding a DAC,, you won't be able to use it as a stand alone CD player,just think of it as a Transport really, do you have a DAC,if so just attach the outputs labelled L/R for stereo use,Meridian gear can be peculiar at times, especially the 500 and G series, with lots variations, but all looking alike from the front

advertisement

Back