advertisement

Good vintage CD player buys?

I recently found a Denon DCD 1520 for a good price (in theory if you ignore the undisclosed dent on the faceplate and broken boards behind some buttons). Dual Burr-Brown PCM64P + SM5813AP and Sony KSS-151A. Very solid build (12kg). Tends to be available in the £70-150 range.

I recently found a Denon DCD 1520 for a good price (in theory if you ignore the undisclosed dent on the faceplate and broken boards behind some buttons). Dual Burr-Brown PCM64P + SM5813AP and Sony KSS-151A. Very solid build (12kg). Tends to be available in the £70-150 range.

That's a good shout. I've just finished preparing a DCD-1700 in fabulous condition which will be offered for sale in the classifieds here soon. They're really excellent quality players and seem to fly under the radar a bit compared to Sony and Marantz.

I also have a DCD-3300 in my personal collection.

The version of KSS-123a mech used in the 1700 and 3300 is superb. Linear motor for tracking and the best turntable motor assembly I've ever seen!

Another Denon battleship owner/user - a DCD-3520. Still a stonking sounding cd player 8 )
51418384872_0ec1121b67_c.jpg

Another Denon battleship owner/user - a DCD-3520. Still a stonking sounding cd player 8 )
51418384872_0ec1121b67_c.jpg

That's a beauty :cool: Burr Brown PCM64P DAC chips and Sony KK-151a laser.

New KSS-151a lasers have recently been surfacing on ebay for around £200. I fitted one recently and it was fine. It might be worth bagging one now as future insurance.

That's a good shout. I've just finished preparing a DCD-1700 in fabulous condition which will be offered for sale in the classifieds here soon. They're really excellent quality players and seem to fly under the radar a bit compared to Sony and Marantz.

I also have a DCD-3300 in my personal collection.

The version of KSS-123a mech used in the 1700 and 3300 is superb. Linear motor for tracking and the best turntable motor assembly I've ever seen!

Have to say, your DCD-1700 looks an absolute beauty!

@Mike P - thanks!

I'd also noted these lasers appearing, so that's good to know as I'd be gutted if my '20 packed in one day! I wonder if they're refurbs/copies, though? They need very precise tuning of the diodes (6, I believe) to get the best out of them, having read about them over the years.

An under the hood shot, for those interested.
28089770805_0a68037153_c.jpg

@Mike P - thanks!

I'd also noted these lasers appearing, so that's good to know as I'd be gutted if my '20 packed in one day! I wonder if they're refurbs/copies, though? They need very precise tuning of the diodes (6, I believe) to get the best out of them, having read about them over the years.

An under the hood shot, for those interested.
28089770805_0a68037153_c.jpg

Rumour has it that they're old heads refurbished with new diodes. I was also sceptical but the one I fitted measured and performed perfectly.

I can help with any servicing work you might need on your 3520 and I sell superior quality silicone rubber belt sets for the KSS-151a.

DCD-1700
DCD-1700 internals by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

and DCD-3300
DCD-3300 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Marantz CD94 mk1
20210508_104506 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Sony CDP-303es (for sale)
P1110119 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Marantz CD84
20210424_130611 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Sony CDP-710 (under the radar giant killer!)
P1110770 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Sony CDP-707esd
P1110283 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Sony CDP-X7esd

P1100907
by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Sony CDP-555esd
P1100686 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

DCD-1700
DCD-1700 internals by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

and DCD-3300
DCD-3300 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Marantz CD94 mk1
20210508_104506 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Sony CDP-303es (for sale)
P1110119 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Marantz CD84
20210424_130611 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Sony CDP-710 (under the radar giant killer!)
P1110770 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Sony CDP-707esd
P1110283 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Sony CDP-X7esd

P1100907
by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Sony CDP-555esd
P1100686 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr
Vintage rules !

The 206 / 207 mechanism works fine (a lovely piece of swing-arm engineering) but won't play anything outside Red book standard. Any CD longer than 65 minutes and it will struggle.

The 500 / 506 has no such problems.

However, if I was buying an all in one, I'd go for a 598 which has a mechanism that's more 'standard' (think PC DVD drive).

What can be picked up for under £400 (I have one) and which are very good are Lexicon RT-10 which plays all 5" disc formats: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/lexicon-rt-10-universal-disc-player
There is a 596 available to me in North American voltages but supposedly the draw doesn’t always open on first try. Should I avoid this or is it easily remedied? Thanks

There is a 596 available to me in North American voltages but supposedly the draw doesn’t always open on first try. Should I avoid this or is it easily remedied? Thanks

Depends on what's causing the problem. AFAICT, there's no common solution. :)

Meridian in the UK got a bit funny about repairs. They only accept repairs from an authorised dealer which is a pain as their HQ is closer than the nearest dealer to me... You may be lucky and be able to fix it yourself (or have a competent repair person on speed dial) with a replacement part from eBay.

Personally, if that's the only problem and the price was right, I'd have it.

Join Hitchikers Guide to Meridian https://www.meridianunplugged.com/ as they have a wealth of expertise on there and a lot in North America.

A tray that doesn’t open quickly is often caused by a stretched belt and easy and cheap to repair if that’s the case.

Depends on what's causing the problem. AFAICT, there's no common solution. :)

Meridian in the UK got a bit funny about repairs. They only accept repairs from an authorised dealer which is a pain as their HQ is closer than the nearest dealer to me... You may be lucky and be able to fix it yourself (or have a competent repair person on speed dial) with a replacement part from eBay.

Personally, if that's the only problem and the price was right, I'd have it.

Join Hitchikers Guide to Meridian https://www.meridianunplugged.com/ as they have a wealth of expertise on there and a lot in North America.
Thanks much. What do you think a fair price in dollars would be?

Thanks much. What do you think a fair price in dollars would be?

Looking on eBay, there's two. There's one in the UK at $550 and one in the US at $1300.

The US one comes with a recently fitted drive but I think it is way overpriced - you could get a G series (G98) for less than that price and which is much newer.

The UK one is not as perfect (but AFAICT working).

Based on that, if I was looking at one that doesn't work perfectly and may need fixing, I'd probably look to pay $450 but could make sure I had someone who could repair when required.

Looking on eBay, there's two. There's one in the UK at $550 and one in the US at $1300.

The US one comes with a recently fitted drive but I think it is way overpriced - you could get a G series (G98) for less than that price and which is much newer.

Based on that, if I was looking at one that doesn't work perfectly and may need fixing, I'd probably look to pay $450 but could make sure I had someone who could repair when required.
Thanks very much.

There is a guy who is asking 799.00 but would come down to $600.00. Reports it’s mint with remote. What do you think? Or is a 507 just as good? And what about the 586? Lots of questions…thanks

advertisement

Back