advertisement

Good value port

In Saumur they do a fizzy red, it's Cabernet Franc, demi-sec and rather odd. Think one part fizzy white, one part Ribena.

There are various sparkling Shiraz from Oz too…you drink them cold. They can be unusually good. It helps to suspend belief!
The Saumur rouge mousseux isn't unusually good. It's one to drink for novelty value. I lived 200 yards from Bouvet - Ladubay for 3 years, tasted it twice to be polite with visitors who did the tour, then concentrated on the sparkling white, which is excellent.

Haven't drunk much port for years. I remember it as something that gets you drunk quickly: the opposite of what I want now.
I'm guessing many keep open bottles far too long. Maybe it should be more widely available in half bottles like sweet whites.

Haven't drunk much port for years. I remember it as something that gets you drunk quickly: the opposite of what I want now.
I'm guessing many keep open bottles far too long. Maybe it should be more widely available in half bottles like sweet whites.

Always found it difficult to change down a gear from red to port, sipping with a lump of cheese is recommended but port is so moreish.

We've three whites in reserve to go with the pudding, all halves luckily.

My grandfather was in the trade and tasted most wines; his favourite was a Chateau D'Yquem.

Always found it difficult to change down a gear from red to port, sipping with a lump of cheese is recommended but port is so moreish.

We've three whites in reserve to go with the pudding, all halves luckily.

My grandfather was in the trade and tasted most wines; his favourite was a Chateau D'Yquem.

Exactly. There are several, more affordable, alternatives to d'Yquem. Sounds like you have 3 already...

this arrived today

20211207-124832.jpg

I’ve bought a Graham’s six grapes on the back of this thread - for £11.45. I’ll take a sip in the coming days :p

A friend of my father's gave us a bottle of 1963 Quinto do Noval as a wedding present many years ago. I blame him for me developing expensive tastes.

Had to go to the megastore in Penzance to find this. It took three staff and ten minutes to get the security tag off because of it being encased in that odd plastic straight jacket. As our resident alcohol expert( apologies to gintonic) why for is this?
Perhaps the plastic collar removal courses haven’t been running due to Covid? When I bought a few bottles of Penfolds Bin 389 on Friday some bottles were tagged and some not. I deliberately chose four untagged ones thinking it would win me enough extra time at the checkout to have a cup of coffee.

Hope you enjoy it. As I said above, Six Grapes is fine for the price but I much preferred the Crusted when I tasted them side by side.

(I’m not an alcohol expert, BTW - in fact I’m not an expert on anything that I’m aware of. I feel a bit inferior on pfm where so many folk are experts on everything. But what booze knowledge I have runs out beyond port and sherry - I very rarely touch anything stronger nowadays.)

Last edited:
(I’m not an alcohol expert, BTW - in fact I’m not an expert on anything that I’m aware of. But what booze knowledge I have runs out beyond port and sherry - I very rarely touch anything stronger nowadays.)

Sherry and tapas, a match made in heaven. Last time i indulged we cleared them out of Manzanilla tout suite.

Main problem we have with sherry is how easy it is to drink a bottle while getting ready to go out.

When I did a distillery tour at Glenlivet they suggested we needed to start drinking more sherry as ex-sherry barrels were getting expensive due to supply shortages.

I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a bottle of sherry, but I doubt it's been in the last 25 years!

My port stocks took a severe battering tonight. My visitors though the Graham's 6 grape was great but the 20 year old Tawny was noticeably better.

advertisement

Back