advertisement

Good value port

I have tried a fizzy Merlot and while it was ok I really struggled to get my head round the concept and it just seemed a bit odd.

On the port front I've got a bottle of the 20 year old Graham's Tawny in the sales recently in the sales and have also got a bottle of their 6 grapes coming as well, as I've had that before and liked it. I tend to stick with the Graham ports as it's my surname. When we were in Porto a few years back I had a look for connections with the name:

172179085.VX7AeMss.jpg

8H0B4555 by uh_simon, on Flickr

8H0B4562 by uh_simon, on Flickr

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My late father bought this bottle when I was born (1965) and gave it to me years later. I've kept it unopened in a dark place, mainly on its' side (but not always), is it likely to be still drinkable? I know next to nothing about port, despite doing the Grahams tour when in Porto. Agree with the above, white port is lovely.

51729685335_a117e4b71a.jpg

My late father bought this bottle when I was born (1965) and gave it to me years later. I've kept it unopened in a dark place, mainly on its' side (but not always), is it likely to be still drinkable? I know next to nothing about port, despite doing the Grahams tour when in Porto. Agree with the above, white port is lovely.

If it’s not been kept at the right temperature, ideally 12-14C it’s quite possibly not going to be at its best sadly. I’d open it sooner rather than later now - never know your luck.

get it open if it's not been on its side, and as already been said not at the best temperature. It'll need decanting, a funnel and cotton handkerchief will do. Drink within two days

1963 is one of the very best vintages, but Sandeman wasn't considered among the best producers in that harvest

Thanks Ian! I may well give it a go over the festive period, without any expectations.

A good open centre screw corkscrew helps, as opposed to those with a centre shaft.

More likely to get a crumbly cork out whole.

Don't leave it too long as it might go off fairly quickly once decanted.

My late uncle found a case of 1908 under the stairs, sold it and it kept him in wine for ages.

I only drink port, whiskey, brandy with lemonade, does that make me a bad person.... or just a deluded one

I only drink port, whiskey, brandy with lemonade, does that make me a bad person.... or just a deluded one
No. The worst I'd say is that you've not educated yourself. If you did and still decided that you preferred it with lemonade, that's up to you.

I opened a bottle of 1963 Sandeman a few years ago. It was fabulous. Unless it has been really abused, it should be fine. It will definitely need decanting and drinking up in a couple of days

advertisement

Back