advertisement

Good USB cable

I have never done comparisons. However, I know someone who did and he measured that data-transfers via certain usb-cables go (much) faster and that would be proof that differences could be audible…?

I have never done comparisons. However, I know someone who did and he measured that data-transfers via certain usb-cables go (much) faster and that would be proof that differences could be audible…?

Yes data speeds can differ in certain circumstances, but no usb dac needs the full bandwidth potential for transferring audio, so no it won't make an audible difference if the max speed is 100 or 101 times that required for audio.

Transfer rates to/from a storage device dropping are indicative of an increased error rate necessitating retransmission of packets. Since audio doesn't retransmit on error, it is probable that such a cable would cause audible clicks or drop-outs.

Yes data speeds can differ in certain circumstances, but no usb dac needs the full bandwidth potential for transferring audio, so no it won't make an audible difference if the max speed is 100 or 101 times that required for audio.
The bandwidth used by audio is irrelevant since the data frames are always sent at the full 480 Mbps rate, there's just less data in each frame. If signal integrity is suffering, there will be errors. Of course, for a given bit error rate, a higher bandwidth transfer will have more errors per unit time.

I doubt he was measuring the data transfer speed while playing audio...
That's beside the point. If the cable isn't quite up to the task of transferring bits at 480 Mbps, there will be errors even if each frame is small, as is the case with audio. There is no fallback to lower link speeds in case of errors.

You co
isn't the best test by listening? That's pretty good proof?

It wouldn’t be a good idea to use a USB 1.1 cable like we had to in the 90s, but none of this has been an issue since USB 2.0. :)

I guess all those with decent gear who can't hear a difference must be deaf then...
Perhaps money just isn’t an issue for people who claim they can hear a USB cable’s sonic signature.
I’ve heard of experiments proving that colours change the perception of things.
I chose my camp a very long time ago.

advertisement

Back