advertisement

Good source of 2nd hand cheap CD's

Bourneendboy

pfm Member
I've been streaming for a couple of years, but now want to get back to buying CD's and ripping them as I tend to have favourite albums and listen to them most of the time.

I'm aware of Music Magpie and buying on Ebay of course, but are there any other recommendations for a source of cheap CD's.

Charity shops. So you have to take “pot luck”, but shops like Oxfam sell CDs for around 3-5 quid (last time in Winchester, I walked out with 7 for about £27, having put several more back!). And Oxfam are considered “expensive” according to my brother, who does the rounds on a regular basis. He reckons he can find music DVDs for a quid apiece, watches them once and then passes them on me and my sister at Xmas and birthdays - this Xmas I got Genesis, Police, Clapton, Damned, ZZ Top and several others.

YMCA sell CD's 50p each in our locality. With the caveat, that they are mostly rubbish.

Amazon or PayBay cover you for dud stuff and between them probably offer the easiest, simplest options at the cheapest prices - with Amazon you even get ludicrously low postage from abroad (usually the USA). CDs via Discogs are OK too, but would be hassle if you get a dud.
I have only ever been ripped-off once - by Zoverstocks, now called Music Magpie. It was only for something like £1.50, but they'll never get another penny from me, and I spend appreciably over £100 per month on records, CD's and occasionally DVD's, they lost out in just a very few months in all probability.

I have no idea how many used CD's I've bought - a small number of 100's probably, and had 2 duds. One was refunded in full with the offer of anything else from the seller at half price. What is common is really scruffy cases, but then some people ditch those anyway.

Oh that this was all true for LPs....

Sound Machine in Reading have an excellent selection which is updated regularly as they have a high churn rate. Normal stuff 3 for £10. More exotic, boxes etc are priced individually but very reasonable.

CEX 20p and up.
Cancer Research superstores 2 for £1.
Mostly detritus but the fun’s in the sifting, and the unexpected nature of what can turn up, e.g. the Derek & The Dominoes “Layla” SACD for £1 in CEX and (relative) oddities like Mogwai, Captain Beefheart, Ivor Cutler and Sleater-Kinney in Cancer Research.

Some nice findings for a total of £3 at the local recycling depot shop today...

46016550324_2ac44ab204_c.jpg

Headway the brain injury charity shops chuck cd's out for 50p. Pot luck on what there is, I have found a few nice albums. I favour small charity shops that are less picked over.

Oxfam is expensive for most things compared to other charity shops, I avoid it.

It's a great time to buy 2nd hand cd's; unfortunately, living in Worcester seems to mean mainly m people and lighthouse family but occasionally I get lucky...

It's a great time to buy 2nd hand cd's; unfortunately, living in Worcester seems to mean mainly m people and lighthouse family but occasionally I get lucky...

Well, I’m only 20 miles from Worcester, but I’ve always suspected that here in the People’s Republic of Warwickshire we get a better class of cast-offs (see above.)

Well, I’m only 20 miles from Worcester, but I’ve always suspected that here in the People’s Republic of Warwickshire we get a better class of cast-offs (see above.)
It really doesn't surprise me; the cultural void here is overwhelming!

is there still this cd rot thing?

There are still CDs in the wild that have CD rot and may not play. I recently returned a copy of Steve Winwood’s “Chronicles” to CEX as it suffered from the rot. The lady behind the counter offered to clean the disc for me; I pointed out that all the cleaning in the world wouldn’t bring it back to life.

You can usually weed them out by the bronze taint on the disc, but if you can return faulty discs it might still be worth a punt as they might still have that vital one good rip left in them.

Local charity shops, 50p or £1 each. Mostly dross, the odd gem, and I buy things I don't know on spec. If I buy a dud it goes back, unless it's damaged in which case I bin it. Few are beyond redemption.

CDs usually £1 each in our charity shops, but the local Sue Ryder store does 10 CDs for the slightly unusual sum of £1.25. I've had dozens from there this last few months.

Some nice findings for a total of £3 at the local recycling depot shop today...

46016550324_2ac44ab204_c.jpg
Nice find! I paid £3 each and upwards for 4 of those very cds recently off Ebay, still a bargain. The cd version of 'Out to lunch' was revelation for me over my cheapy vinyl reissue.

advertisement

Back