advertisement

Good Sounding Entry Level CD Players

Shane2468

pfm Member
Not looking to buy.

Just curious, to hear about your experience(s) on good sounding affordable CD Players. Ones that sound good as a stand alone CD Player, not connected to a separate Dac etc.

Thank you.

S.

Rega Apollo was a nice player. There are also the likes of Rotel 11 and Tribute version, NAD, Onkyo etc. Nice sounding players with some refinement.

I had a Marantz 6004 for a number of years. Gave it to a friend a couple of years ago and it's still working really well. I think the 6000 series are very good. Current 6007 is about £399.

Heard it when I was in York recently. I like Rotel gear anyway. Sounded very decent though I would prefer to listen to it in my own set up really to get a better idea of it’s qualities.

Got a lovely marantz 6007 here , silky smooth mechanism and works very well. Very high quality remote

I saw a guy in Japan on Instagram that has a marantz 6007 with his mcintosh and JBL speakers. Dropping him a message as his music looked really great (all Asian) and he is thrilled with the marantz

Lots of love here for budget Marantz players. I once had a CD6000 KI Signature, which IIRC cost around £400 back in 2003 or so. Have to say I was rather disappointed, given the glowing reviews it received in e.g. Hi-Fi World. Perhaps my expectations were too high. Most of my listening at the time was via a Naim CD3. On the other hand my sister wanted a cheap CD player, I think around 2006, and I suggested she got a NAD from Richer Sounds for around £200 I think it was. That one really impressed me with a fleet of foot sound with lots of instrumental colour and texture, such as was lacking from my costlier Marantz.

More recently I've used an Onkyo C-7030, which is not a bad machine at all - good dynamics, resolution and separation being particular virtues. Swapping in the Naim CD5x last week did remind me that there are things the Onkyo doesn't do, however, not least in terms of general realism and musicality. Which I guess is what one would expect given the price differential.

as said before I never really got on with the Marantz 6006UKSE ,sounded thin and lifeless compared to my Rega Apollo and Rotel 955 (modded tho)

I used to own a NAD C521BEE back when I was a uni student and I thought it sounded great on our shared houses cobbled-together system. Aside from the CD player which I bought, we had a Cambridge Audio amp and vintage Technics SB-C350 speakers. It was pretty great for a bunch of free to collector bits and pieces.

advertisement

Back