advertisement

Good shot!

Nero

Re: Tired
I heard a story the other day, which I've been unable to find any information on, but I believe it to be true.

Tommy and Jerry in two opposing trenches in WW1. Tommy takes aim, and at the same time, Jerry lets fly with his rifle. Just as Tommy pulls the trigger, the German bullet (slightly smaller diameter than the British rifle) enters Tommy's rifle at the pointy end, and meets the oncoming bullet.

Tommy gets a larger than expected recoil, but otherwise OK.

Anyone heard that one?

Given the incredible number of shots fired in human conflict it might be even more unlikely that this hadn't happened.

Apologies for being a boring statistician!
I agree. Similarly, I'd love to know how many people have been randomly killed by bullets falling from the sky, after typical middle eastern celebrations involving firing AK47s upwards

I'm having a quiet day today :)

There's also a story of a soldier, possibly in Vietnam, shooting an enemy through his rifle scope just as he was taking aim.

I think the bullet diameter makes little difference, the metal would deform as it's softer than the metal of the barrel, and even if it was a radius off, it would still do something like this. As for how you'd know (as a soldier) that this is what had happened beats me though. I'd expect the rifle maybe to have damaged rifling?

Thing is... an incoming bullet is not travelling in a straight line - they never do. Which makes the alleged incident even harder to fathom. I suppose if the two bullets did meet it would have been right at the tip of the barrel?

There's also a story of a soldier, possibly in Vietnam, shooting an enemy through his rifle scope just as he was taking aim.

Take a look online for sniping records - you'd not even think to question this, but how anyone would know..........................

advertisement

Back