advertisement

Good quality RCA and Din plugs.

RobFTM

pfm Member
I must be mad but I’d like to make my own interconnects. I’m going to use LinnSilver cable but I’m stumped as to which brand of plugs to use. It’s Linn to Naim so I want to use both phono and Din connectors. What would be a suitable brand of plugs to choose please? I seem to remember that the well respected Flashback cables used Preh Din plugs but I’m not sure where to look for phono plugs.

Any and all help highly appreciated as I’m so far from my comfort zone it’s untrue!

Rob.

Neutrik Rean are solid, and widely available.
Also good value for their quality - you can spend a lot more, but 'simple, solid & sufficient' is my own preference.

For olive and later equipment you should use Preh or Lumberg ring locking din connectors. Take care with ordering the correct pin configuration.

For CB you're better off with Deltron latching connectors

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I always use Preh DIN connectors (Locking ones for later Naim) and Neutrik Rean Phonos for all my cables. If carefully and correctly assembled they are fit and forget. Don't bother with the more expensive Neutrik Profi's although they are of higher quality, they are designed for professional PA use where you may need to connect/disconnect whilst the PA is running and us a spring loaded contact to prevent an enormous thud on connection/disconnection (imagine that with a 50KW PA!)
Also, don't waste your money on the very expensive Foo connectors that are out there. If the pro's use them it's more than good enough for home use!

Thanks all - you’ve not let me down. Now to get to actually doing the job and making the things. If they look OK I’ll post a photo, if not then I won’t.

I’ve very deliberately not mentioned whether they’ll sound better/worse than what I have. Oh wait a minute……

If you buy Neutrik the Rean is a cheaper Chinese made variant manufactured down to a lower price point. The real Neutriks are what you want.

+1 for the Preh DIN connectors.

I do like the switchcraft, non-gold plated versions, RCA connectors. Very simple and no nonsense, though I've not used the Reans.

Neutrik Rean are solid, and widely available.
Also good value for their quality - you can spend a lot more, but 'simple, solid & sufficient' is my own preference.
I avoid Neutrik RCA plugs for the simple reason that the conducting parts are crimped together, and variable. The sliding negative connector types are extremely variable! That said, they do seem to make the only 11mm diameter plugs, which are needed for my Cambridge P50 amp, as the socket centres are at 12mm. https://www.rean-connectors.com/en/product/nys352-1
I use plugs which have no joins, of which there are many types, from Star Line and KLE, to CMC and WBT.

I'm another Reen fan -excellent connectors for reasonable money -but also use the Pro-Fi 's on critical connections (phono LP) . The WBT's are expensive and you have to be sure you don't yank on them when hooked into consumer electronics or you can tear the ground shell off female RCA jacks ( a grim moment with so much modern audio gear being a B***H to get at the back panel from the inside..) Still -the WBT's if you are building your own and can use both male and female RCA's from WBT -that's the best this bad connector can do.

AMPHENOL DIN connectors.​

35830a9ba02073ce40cd2cf3933d9f4.jpg

advertisement

Back