advertisement

Good Older iphones

Shane2468

pfm Member
Thinking about (maybe) in getting a used iphone sometime later in the year. But which version to go for? I’ve never had an iphone before, lol.

Doesn’t have to be overly fancy. But must cater for internet, skype calling & taking decent pics etc.

I already have a Vodaphone sim card ready.

Your thoughts?

Thank you.

S.

What is the budget?

My advice is to buy the latest you can afford, whether it’s an iPhone or one of the competitors because you’ll be keeping it longer. As time goes by, older hardware starts to struggle. If buying used, the battery might be approaching death.

Would you like the larger (Plus or Max) size screen?

The latest iPhone SE. It’ll work well, have a good battery and you’ll be sorted for the next five years.

EDIT : Times for old communication gear are over. First of all security-wise, but also because services and features improve continuously and you need a tool which is up to the task. I too was very much against this all-azimuth digitalisation, but in the end you just cut yourself off from an important evolution.

Last edited:
Another vote for the current SE. At least you'd know the provenance and service history (none) of a brand new lower-priced iPhone. Battery health is just one factor to consider when buying used.

Used XR or 11 with decent battery health (90%+) is a good bet for a while yet. Or the newer SE (the one with the button), but I think the screen is just too small in 2022.

The battery took a huge step forward with the 12 and again with the 13, but both are considerably more expensive.

I rarely use my iPhone other than for calls. Ok, Waze for nav and The Times for sudoku if stuck/waiting. My 6s is going to the wife so I think a new or recon SE mk2 is a possible answer that might suite. Not silly money.

but I think the screen is just too small in 2022.
Easy, never start buying phones with a bigger screen than an SE, you can't miss what you've never had. I think it's way big enough and I'm already a terminal-stage phone addict, so why make things even worse.

I don't like big screens on a phone so was gutted when I recently dropped my 1st generation iPhone SE, smashing the screen :(
Was nearing EoL support wise and battery was crap so no real tears.

Moved to a (used) iP 12 Mini for just under £400. (Music Magpie)
Slightly bigger screen (but not too much) - certainly a better camera. Tech aspects much more annoying than the old one though, I guess that's progress for ya ....

Last edited:
Moved to a (used) iP 12 Mini for just under £400.
Slightly bigger screen (but not too much) - certainly a better camera. Tech aspects much more annoying than the old one though, I guess that's progress for ya ....

Which tech aspects?

Latest iPhone SE is good as a phone, but the camera is crap IMO

My Dads just got one and snapped a few pics; they're ok if you're not fussy!

As others have said, iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max would be my recommendation, but they're still not 'cheap':

https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/store...filter=grade:Pristine&filter=grade:Very\ Good

11 Pro here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25551303...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

That's if you really want an iPhone, as for the same money, you can get the Google Pixel 6 / 6 Pro which have superb cameras and they're Vanilla Android!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
QUOTE="Tony Lockhart, post: 4753279, member: 8625"]Which tech aspects?[/QUOTE]

It all starts with the removal of the button - so basically from the word go :eek:

Switching it on and off is now very hit and miss - except when I just want to put it down on bedside table and 'hey presto' it comes on.
Getting to things like the torch and camera that used to be a simple swipe upwards on the log on screen now require a training course in finger gymnastics ....

There are many more of such but I have a dental appt shortly and must dash (phone didn't send a reminder and just remembered)

Fortunately, my better half is very modern iPhone savvy so she just tells me how to swipe .. ;)

Well, for example… I can turn the torch on even with a locked screen with a tap on the screen, swipe down from top right, two second press on the torch logo.

Well, for example… I can turn the torch on even with a locked screen with a tap on the screen, swipe down from top right, two second press on the torch logo.

Yes - I know that already after a few days of wrangling with the damn thing.
Like I said, I also have a good tutor.

Not really my point though; as I said - there are a quite a few tech shifts between the 7 year old SE and the current models that required some retraining. Some (such as torch access) require more complex steps than previously for no good reason I can think of.

Also some annoying 'automatic' responses that need taming; none of which are 'improvements' IMV.

YMMV, ETTO ...etc.

Last edited:
Regular iPhone 11 is still excellent, I’ve had one since release and I have absolutely no inclination to change it. If you want really cheap, the iPhone 7 is still good, provided the battery is in good health. My mother is still using my iPhone 7.

Latest iPhone SE is good as a phone, but the camera is crap IMO

My Dads just got one and snapped a few pics; they're ok if you're not fussy!

As others have said, iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max would be my recommendation, but they're still not 'cheap'
The biggest disappointment with my XR (when I 'upgraded' from 8 Plus) was the camera. My next iPhone will have to be a Pro version with as many lenses as Apple can squeeze in.

My S7edge is still hanging in there, six years of service. Battery could do with replacing and the screen has the single pink, vertical line from one drop too many.
I think I've had very good value out of it.

The camera is good but not up to modern standards, everything else has zero criticism from me.

advertisement

Back