1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Goldring MC cartridge thoughts

Discussion in 'audio' started by kowalski99, May 17, 2019 at 9:42 PM.

Tags:
  1. kowalski99

kowalski99 pfm Member

Hi
    I just wondered if anyone has heard the newish Goldring Elite MC cartridge? If so what are your thoughts? I'm looking at the ortofon quintet black, Hana SL or Rega Apheta as other options but had a great Goldring cart a few years ago and this interested me.
    Thanks for any advice

2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

What arm/TT? I would recommend the AT33 range BTW

3. kowalski99

kowalski99 pfm Member

Ok thanks. I'm using old Rega equipment, P9, Rega Eos phono stage through Hal and Exon pre and per amps.

4. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

FG Fritz Gyger / Line contact need plenty of adjustment VTA/Azimuth etc for best results
    standard on every quality tonearm on the market except Rega

5. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I too have often wondered about the Goldring MCs but compared with similar priced MCs from the other big cart makers there doesn't seem to be too much in the way of information out there, and what is is usually quite old or relates to a previous version etc.

The Eroica and Elite on paper look like cracking carts and have been tempted to pull the trigger quite a few times.

6. wd40addict

wd40addict Member

Interested why you say newish, the Elite has been around for years. I had one up to about ten years ago, however I would now also vote for an AT33PTG.

7. RustyB

RustyB Registered Ginga

The Eroica LX knows a groove when it sees one, might go nicely with Rega gear.

FireMoon likes this.
  8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

AT33 PTG is warmer than 0C9, certainly not lean but I have an LP12 so my views are ultimately coloured

kowalski99 likes this.
  9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I've an Eroica on my Lenco, it's nice.

kowalski99 and FireMoon like this.
  10. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

+1 for the Eroica.

kowalski99 likes this.
  11. raysablade

raysablade pfm Member

+1 for the Eroica.

kowalski99 likes this.
  12. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Dont they have a new mc just out?

kowalski99 likes this.
  13. Spike

Spike pfm Member

I used an Eroica for a number of years, great cartridge.

14. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I used to regularly hear an Excel GS at a mates and was impressed... IIRC it cost a fortune new... like £560 ish in 1991!

15. kowalski99

kowalski99 pfm Member

They have just launched the Ethos at £895. I could just about afford one if I can the summer holiday ;)

16. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

You're ok. The Daily Express says it's going to be a scorcher so you can get your cart and soak up the sun on staycation!

17. krenzler

krenzler pfm Member

It's funny how you almost never hear anything about the Goldring MC's. They're seemingly not in vogue like AT, Ortofon etc. Obviously one reason is that they've been unchanged for eons (Eroica and Elite) but the Legacy model came and went without much attention.