advertisement

Goldring Jubilee Arm

Brian Clark

Do any greybeards remember the Goldring Jubilee Arm? I had a 12" version with a Lenco 88 turntable and very good it was.
There is nothing about it at Audiotools nor anywhere else on the web that I could find.
It had an unusual cantilever counterweight arrangement which consisted of a small sliding weight FORWARD of the pivot.
Got it from a chap at Goldrings (Leytonstone). Said they had sold a number to Decca.
Pity if such a device is lost forever in the mists of time....

Brian.

Brian
can't help with your query but what a great post. This is just what this section should be about.

Bob

Do any greybeards remember the Goldring Jubilee Arm? I had a 12" version with a Lenco 88 turntable and very good it was.

Don’t remember the Jubilee arm at all, though quite curious about the 88 – was it any good? I’m wondering if it could almost be a 301 on the cheap, the design is very similar, and with Swiss build quality too. A Lenco 75 was my first deck, a nicely made bit of kit (the arm was hopeless though). I imagine the 88 would be a lot better again being a more upmarket unit.

Tony.

It had a heavier platter than the Garrards and "infinitely variable" speed since the shaded-pole induction motor was mounted horizontally with a tapered drive shaft. The idler wheel was vertical making contact with the underside of the platter and speed adjustment simply moved the idler along the taper.
The long-term weakness of the design is that any drive system irregularities are transmitted vertically. For a mono system with mono pickup however these decks are a terrific bargain at 80 pounds or less on eBay. An ideal TT for 78 collectors.

Brian.

Goldrings in Leytonstone ?

Brian, was this a recent purchase?

Never heard of that shop and I live about one mile form Leytonstone.

Rob.

Good heavens no :p
That was 40 years ago (now THERE'S a giveaway!) and Leytonstone High Road was the site of the original Goldrings factory. The father of a couple of friends worked there (he made the first stereo cartridges, the 800) so I was able to get things cheap ;)

Brian.

advertisement

Back