advertisement

Going to the pub on Saturday?

Sam Smiths yeah but there isn't one around here.

You'd have thought other entrepreneurs would have thought "Spoons seems to be doing well... and has no rivals... hmmm..."
Credit to him, he got in when the pub trade was on its arse & also rescued a lot of potentially crumbling buildings. Unfortunately a lot of successful people are rather ruthless. The only other recent related successes story I can think of is Brewdog, I am sure they are lovely to their staff but they charge £7 per pint;)

Though in the specific cases you're referring to I have no way of knowing either way, in general, please be careful of attributing desire to those who do things out of necessity.

I know of two people specifically that chose to work in the local Spoons, moving from other local pubs to the spoons as the wages were higher, and the shift patterns were better.

I also know one other who was a team leader with the 'spoons, who was highly satisfied with progression and career development offered there. He left to set up a bar (with his brother) after receiving a large inheritance from granny,. At his leaving do (he was a friend of mine) - he thanked the management at the 'spoons for equipping him with sufficient skills, that he thought would allow him to set up a business.

It will be interesting to see if reports such as "83% of people do not feel safe yet to visit pub" such as we've seen on the news will mean rather less packed pubs than are expected... another figure put that at only 60% still won't visit a pub.
Even if 83% is correct that leaves 17% who will go to pub... and I very much doubt that even on a busy Saturday night there is as much as 17% of the population out at their local at the same time... So I'm expecting it to be a New Years Eve type disaster zone!
As I said although I'll likely give things a recce I'm kinda expecting it to be Sun or Mon before they are quiet enough for me to want to go in.

That just means the sensible people who grasp science stay home and the morons, drunks and thugs go out along with much younger folk who view themselves as invincible. The spread will likely be much the same as if a wider demographic went out. There will unquestionably be spread, the known science wouldn’t predict anything else.

A lot of pubs are being sensible, booking tables & enhanced hygiene. The % of the population who visit pubs regularly is probably pretty low. I still think people are wary of spending money at the moment; I certainly won’t be going to a pub until I’ve had my hair sorted out.

As an aside, my usual barbers has put their prices up & are allowing more time between appointments.

A lot of pubs are being sensible, booking tables & enhanced hygiene. The % of the population who visit pubs regularly is probably pretty low. I still think people are wary of spending money at the moment; I certainly won’t be going to a pub until I’ve had my hair sorted out.

As an aside, my usual barbers has put their prices up & are allowing more time between appointments.

Obvs a big concern here as well..... not! (those who've met me will "get" that):D

There's a big difference between a semi-rural pub largely given over to dining and your average city centre boozer.

I suspect whoever wrote the guidelines had the former in mind and rarely visits the latter.

If covid 19 has taught me anything it is that I don’t need a barber at all. I can do my usual #1 just as well myself with my new electric clippers, which given I’ve done three cuts so far have now more than paid for themselves.

So, I think I am going to avoid the early rush and maybe try the pub at around 08.30. I'm sure the sensible ones with the good old British Common(er) sense will have had their drink and gone home to do normal Sat morning things.

If covid 19 has taught me anything it is that I don’t need a barber at all. I can do my usual #1 just as well myself with my new electric clippers, which given I’ve done three cuts so far have now more than paid for themselves.

Me too. I have just done my fourth cut of the season. Saved £36 ish. The wife likes the cut, therefore job done. She is the only one who's opinion I give a fudge about re:what's left of my hair.
I will still bleach or dye it at random intervals, cos I can.

I want to be able to "enforce" my own safety/hygiene by not going anywhere I can't maintain 2m distancing, using alcohol hand spray I make etc (so much easier and more pleasant to use than that horrible gel!), and generally being very careful. what I'm worried about is any potential pleasure of visiting a pub being ruined by "health Nazi's" enforcing their own rules whether they are superfluous or not just on the basis of "well it's the rules innit". "Oi you yer can't go over there until I've seen you use this hand gel I'll administer!" "but I've got my own and I've just used it..." "don't care! Security!" And stuff such as there's a group of 30 pissed large yoofs monopolising one section of the pub who are ignoring all precautions but the landlord dare not do anything about it as they may get nasty... but at the same time they are rigidly enforcing other stuff, that has been rendered null and void anyway by the actions of many of these pissed punters, upon quiet drinkers who are not likely to cause trouble.

i certainly won't book a table, pre book my visit in any way, provide my details to staff etc as it would ruin the laid back nature of "just going for a few beers". The last thing I want is an experience like a hospital appointment where after being triaged and having to fill forms in (after arriving at prearranged prescribed place and time) you then have the waiting room experience before eventually getting a pint of ale... no no no!

i certainly won't book a table, pre book my visit in any way, provide my details to staff etc as it would ruin the laid back nature of "just going for a few beers". The last thing I want is an experience like a hospital appointment where after being triaged and having to fill forms in (after arriving at prearranged prescribed place and time) you then have the waiting room experience before eventually getting a pint of ale... no no no!

You won’t be getting in at all as your favourite Tory-donor Brexit pub chain are requiring ID and signing-in:

The government has asked pubs and other hospitality venues, when they reopen, to collect and maintain records of customers and share them, where requested, with NHS Test and Trace. This is so that NHS Test and Trace can identify and inform those who may have been exposed to COVID-19, having been in close contact with somebody who has tested positive for the virus.

All customers, or the lead member of a customer group, will be provided with an NHS Test and Trace form (pictured) and, if requested, a pencil. The form will ask for a name, contact phone number, date of visit and arrival/departure time.

Children under 16 will not be asked individually to provide their details, since they can visit only when accompanied by an adult parent/carer, who can complete the form as ‘lead member’.

Customers will then be asked to place the completed form in a box, when they leave the pub.”

The Mullettwunt, JD Torybrexitspoons (link).

advertisement

Back