advertisement

Going to the pub on Saturday?

On a side note:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53240033

A pub named after 17th Century slave trader Edward Colston has covered over its sign amid plans for a name change.

The Colston Arms in Kingsdown, Bristol, has hung up a temporary banner calling it "Ye olde Pubby Mcdrunkface" and asked people to suggest new names.

The sign outside the pub reads "We are listening. Black Lives Matter."

A statue of Colston in the city centre was torn down and thrown into the harbour during anti-racism protests last month.

The pub's banner reads: "The Clearly Temporarily Named Ye olde Pubby Mcdrunkface. Suggestions welcome (Obviously)."

Landlord Paul Frost said it was "just a bit of fun to draw attention to the issue".

"It's not me that's keen to make the name change, I just want to make sure the debate happens," he said.
"The point I'm making is that it's not my voice that needs to be heard. I'm a white middle aged man, it's the people, the community around Bristol.
"It is a serious issue, however the banner suggests a little levity about the matter. It's just get engaged, learn about the whole era and make suggestions on Facebook really."

Not a chance in hell...

Find it backwards TBH

Fine to open pubs so people can get pissed up and probably cause issues for the police & NHS; but won't allow the opening of gyms and sports centres, so people can better themselves and get fitter etc... :rolleyes:o_O

I'm not fine with opening pubs but the opening of gyms presents a whole new level of challenge so I understand that. Changing rooms, showers, forceful breathing, loads of shared equipment. Keeping all this clean and safe will be a very big challenge.

the opening of gyms presents a whole new level of challenge so I understand that. Changing rooms, showers, forceful breathing, loads of shared equipment. Keeping all this clean and safe will be a very big challenge.

Apparently this may not be the big problem people think it is.

Randomized Re-Opening of Training Facilities during the COVID-19 pandemic

Methods: we randomized members 18 to 64 years with no COVID-19 relevant comorbidities at five training facilities in Oslo, Norway to access or no access to their facility. Facilities were opened from May 22, 2020 for individuals randomized to training, applying increased social distancing (1 meter for floor exercise, 2 meters for high-intensity classes), enhanced hand and surface hygiene. Locker rooms were open, showers and saunas were closed.

Results: 3,764 individuals were randomized and included in analyses; 1,896 in the training and 1,868 in no-training arms. In the training arm, 81.8 percent trained at least once at the facilities. Out of 3,016 individuals who returned the SARS-CoV-2 PCR tests, there was one positive test. The positive individual was randomized to training, but had not used the facility before testing day. Contact tracing revealed the workplace as transmission source

I'm not fine with opening pubs but the opening of gyms presents a whole new level of challenge so I understand that. Changing rooms, showers, forceful breathing, loads of shared equipment. Keeping all this clean and safe will be a very big challenge.

Yeah; I do get that. But you'll find most of the gyms have been absolutely washed out with cleaning and decontaminating etc...

However, what's the difference between pubs/pub loos when full of drunk folk all cramming in/out everywhere; than gym loos/changing rooms etc...

It's Catch 22, unfortunately

One of the reasons I'm going to the pub on opening night is to witness the effectiveness of the risk mitigation steps I've developed with the landlord in practice... if I don't like what I witness, I wont return but I am gagging for a draght pint of Trappers Hat from Brimstage Brewery too... what a risk taker I've become?!

Just protect yourselves as much as you are able, pointless trying to speculate on what may or may not happen.

There is not much to enjoy at the moment so going for a pint should be seen for what it is, a simple pleasure.

It would be a much greater pleasure watching Spoons get shut down because people won’t adhere to the rules and consequently going bust.
It’s the least I can hope for after the reprehensible behaviour during lock down of its owner.

Not all pubs are as irresponsible as JD ToryBrexitShitheadSpoons, e.g. the rather wonderful Caledonia in Liverpool is placing the safety of its staff and customers ahead of even its own survival (Twitter). I’m sure there are many others too.

Only when a vaccine is forthcoming will I consider going near pub. Here in Scotland beer gardens can open up on Monday with the 15th of July marked for pubs and restaurants opening. Speaking to two local landlords with beer gardens one will open Monday the other staying closed.

It would be a much greater pleasure watching Spoons get shut down because people won’t adhere to the rules and consequently going bust.
It’s the least I can hope for after the reprehensible behaviour during lock down of its owner.
No thought for the poor sods who would be out of work? Classy.

The choice between jobs and deaths was a false one from the beginning. The UK will have a second/third wave and consequent half-assed lockdowns with stop/go damage to the economy. The economy can only really recover when Covid is beaten by:
1. Successful lockdown. Now impossible for the UK.
2. Herd immunity which implies many many more deaths.
3. Effective vaccine. Or at least treatments.
Better hope for 3. asap.

Even then, you'll have to accept the Bill Gates microchip being injected into your body, which Gates will then use to monitor and control your every move via 5G signals.

Gammon mullet man going broke...nargh, too good to miss.
I'd spare a thought, but would be punching the air as a priority.

Lord Mullet cares for his staff so much that at the start of 'lockdown' he told them he couldn't pay them (despite furlough) and they should f**k off to Tescos.

If 'spoons went down the toilet, are there any staff to lose after their benevolent employer dispensed of their services?

Last edited:
Not all pubs are as irresponsible as JD ToryBrexitShitheadSpoons

why do you say they are irresponsible?

IMO they are the one chain of pubs around here who likely to have high levels of compliance. Just before lockdown they implemented social distancing by spacing out tables, gave their employees face masks, had security guards counting punters in and out. Provided hand sanitizer everywhere...... one-in-one-out in the toilets.....etc....

I know alot on here want them to fail, but IME they are far from irresponsible, unlike my cosy little local...... 'Spoons is the third closest pub, and our choice for drinking in.

I dont like the views of Tim Martin, but he is a huge employer round here - plenty of people here choose to work for him as his conditions are better than the other pubs and outlets.....

Refused to pay his workers before furlough started, and as previously stated told them to get jobs with Tesco.
Really showed his compassion there.
As soon as covid hit told all his suppliers he wasn’t paying them a penny until it was over.
Further example of his caring attitude.
The spiv deserves to go bust and I really hope he does.
Anyone with any decency would never cross the door of a Wetherspoons again.

why do you say they are irresponsible?

IMO they are the one chain of pubs around here who likely to have high levels of compliance. Just before lockdown they implemented social distancing by spacing out tables, gave their employees face masks, had security guards counting punters in and out. Provided hand sanitizer everywhere...... one-in-one-out in the toilets.....etc....

I know alot on here want them to fail, but IME they are far from irresponsible, unlike my cosy little local...... 'Spoons is the third closest pub, and our choice for drinking in.

I dont like the views of Tim Martin, but he is a huge employer round here - plenty of people here choose to work for him as his conditions are better than the other pubs and outlets.....
Stop being so reasonable, don’t you see there is a revolution to start;)

I don’t like their owner either but, as you say, they are an important employer. What is the alternative for their staff, not everyone has the luxury of choices.

Refused to pay his workers before furlough started, and as previously stated told them to get jobs with Tesco.
Really showed his compassion there.
As soon as covid hit told all his suppliers he wasn’t paying them a penny until it was over.
Further example of his caring attitude.
The spiv deserves to go bust and I really hope he does.
Anyone with any decency would never cross the door of a Wetherspoons again.
This.

advertisement

Back