advertisement

Going to the pub on Saturday?

I was very impressed by how the pubs adhered to the measures & I do like to support local businesses.

me too. We just spent two nights in Margate, but what impressed us most was how every business, pubs, restaurants, our B&B were acting as a community in adhering to measures to make the place CV19 secure.

All the pubs had social distancing measures in place and were enforcing it. Hand sanitizer was everywhere and workers were making sure you used it. Collection of contact details was implemented strictly, face masks were worn.

The B&B we were staying at has no public spaces other than halls, stairs. The owner had thought deeply about making our experience as non contact as possible. So they set up our room ready for the duration of our two day stay, so.nothing needed to be replenished. Breakfast is normally set on a table in the room, but now it is delivered to the door in takeaway containers, with a knock, you wait until ghe deliverer has gone, and collect your food. We were given bin bags for litter to take out each day.

We were so impressed with the community effort to minimise exposure.

Went for my very first venture in a pub this afternoon.

50089900413_35cdc6bf5a_b.jpg

I assessed the place thoroughly before I went in and decided that the likelihood of a riot breaking out with all the youngsters there, one or two looked under 50, was minimal and so thought I’d risk it
Nice dog. What is she?

Nice dog. What is she?
She’s a rescue so a bit of everything. However, DNA test says Ridgeback, Pointer, Retriever and quite a few other things. Though as she is more interested in chasing things down than bringing them back, I think Cheetah rather than Retriever is more likely

The B&B we were staying at has no public spaces other than halls, stairs. The owner had thought deeply about making our experience as non contact as possible. So they set up our room ready for the duration of our two day stay, so.nothing needed to be replenished. Breakfast is normally set on a table in the room, but now it is delivered to the door in takeaway containers, with a knock, you wait until ghe deliverer has gone, and collect your food. We were given bin bags for litter to take out each day.

Sounds more like prison than a holiday ;) :D

We haven't been out for a meal or a drink since the beginning of March and we haven't had any take outs either. It's saved us a few bob and I've lost half a stone. I think this is the new norm for us.

My local. The Mended Drum, are doing a superb job. Tables spaced 2m apart with hand sanitizer on each one. They have a track and trace app via QR code or URL. You order at the bar, socially distanced and they bring the drinks to you.

The only problem for them is when they can't use the outside area the inside won't seat that many.

My local. The Mended Drum, are doing a superb job. Tables spaced 2m apart with hand sanitizer on each one. They have a track and trace app via QR code or URL. You order at the bar, socially distanced and they bring the drinks to you.

The only problem for them is when they can't use the outside area the inside won't seat that many.
Have been to our favourite pub twice. The first time, we sat on the roof terrace, which was great. The second time, the weather precluded that so everybody was inside. But everybody behaved sensibly, and they opened the function room to make more table space for us. Table service, payment by card only, and plenty of hand sanitiser made it easy to feel confident and relax. The collected first names and mobile numbers only, at the door before you were admitted, and numbers were clearly being controlled.

The latest govt advice on on Spain is causing me a problem, we are due to go to Majorca on Saturday. No way I can self isolate on return so looks like I will be rather out of pocket. Holiday booked pre-Xmas so this is it down to idiocy.

The latest govt advice on on Spain is causing me a problem, we are due to go to Majorca on Saturday. No way I can self isolate on return so looks like I will be rather out of pocket. Holiday booked pre-Xmas so this is it down to idiocy.
Travel insurance policies in force back then probably didn't exclude Covid, can you claim

Soller in September for myself and SWMBO - booked in December but likely to go the same way as Berlin & Lisbon trips it would seem - the new cases I’ve seen reported for Majorca seem negligible compared to UK - not impressed

Travel insurance policies in force back then probably didn't exclude Covid, can you claim
Possibly, but we are not covered by ABTA as it stands.

It is quite complicated as my parents paid for the bulk of the holiday, we have stumped up for a few extras like the transfer & luggage allowance.

It is a bit of a mess, it is not likely to improve over there so hopefully we will be ok in terms of cover via ABTA. My dad paid on American Express which I think offer pretty good cover?

If you took insurance at the time, and the holiday is booked before March the (summat) and the UK GOV advice is not to travel, you shouldn’t be out of pocket.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

Currently that advice excludes Majorca so unless the airline cancel you’re between a rock and a hard place.
Best of luck

Soller in September for myself and SWMBO - booked in December but likely to go the same way as Berlin & Lisbon trips it would seem - the new cases I’ve seen reported for Majorca seem negligible compared to UK - not impressed
There are definite spikes, I think we can guess how this will play out.

If you took insurance at the time, and the holiday is booked before March the (summat) and the UK GOV advice is not to travel, you shouldn’t be out of pocket.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

Currently that advice excludes Majorca so unless the airline cancel you’re between a rock and a hard place.
Best of luck
That is the problem, Majorca is exempt but that could change while we are over there & then our insurance is invalid.

Unless you’ve discovered that to be a fact, it shouldn’t invalidate your insurance. The linked GOV advice does say that their advice on Spain does not mean that people should leave the country prematurely (but should isolate on return).

The incidence new cases in the Balearics over the past fortnight is a fraction of that for the UK during the same period

A cynic might also suggest that risking the non-quarantine fine might be substantially cheaper than taking a loss on a family holiday.

advertisement

Back