advertisement

Going to the pub on Saturday?

I think this may be one of the problems with "free" healthcare. Don't get me wrong, the UK NHS is a far superior model to the US monetize-the-suffering form of healthcare, but I do think it can lead people to undervalue the NHS's services. If they lived a year in the US they'd return to the UK with a renewed appreciation for the NHS.

Maybe people thought they had it, asked for the test but by the time it arrived they felt better so they thought they would ease the load on the testers by not returning it. They didn't think that a negative test has some value or that a positive test is possible on someone who's had it but only got the mild symptoms. Covid-19 is not the only flu out there.

Your avatar suggests that you live in Cornwall. Not so many tourists this summer, I gather that the Cornish have reverted to being quietly, and sometimes very noisily, hostile to outsiders.

No I live in Devon and unfortunately the tourists are beginning to invade. We (South West) have one of the lowest incidents of Coronavirus but the tourists will probably bring in the virus from other parts of UK, so its not surprising that us locals will think twice before going to a pub....

Yes there will be lots of Brits invading other areas this year as they all holiday at home instead of abroad. My boss is off down your way for 10 days from next week, he's been working all through this in all parts of the country and in all sorts of dodgy premises, now coming to a holiday town near you so keep your masks on!

I think this may be one of the problems with "free" healthcare. Don't get me wrong, the UK NHS is a far superior model to the US monetize-the-suffering form of healthcare, but I do think it can lead people to undervalue the NHS's services. If they lived a year in the US they'd return to the UK with a renewed appreciation for the NHS.
Yes, that works both ways in that we sometimes accept poor treatment also.

No I live in Devon and unfortunately the tourists are beginning to invade. We (South West) have one of the lowest incidents of Coronavirus but the tourists will probably bring in the virus from other parts of UK, so its not surprising that us locals will think twice before going to a pub....
Are you from the area originally?

No, why do you ask?
Just interested as I come from a seaside town myself originally (Scarborough) & find it interesting that certain areas which rely on tourism are so against it.

I get that it has effect on house prices but people moving to the area to retire also drive this.

Just interested as I come from a seaside town myself originally (Scarborough) & find it interesting that certain areas which rely on tourism are so against it.

I get that it has effect on house prices but people moving to the area to retire also drive this.

A good friend has taken 6 months off to live in Devon (rental nr Salcombe) and despite a delay he has been there for 6 weeks or so now and is finding it very friendly. In fact most of the shop and business owners seem to have come from London or equally far away.

That's that empty feeling one gets when entering a mulletspoons establishment.

we stayed an hour - it slowly filled up. After about 30 mins (it was about 1600) our neighbour arrived. We left and my neighbour stayed all night, they told me this morning it got full to the permitted max. Everything was controlled, security was good, one way system worked well.....everything you would hope for, from a pub chain with good levels of compliance. There is no empty feeling entering here, staff are happy, beer is kept well and is priced competitively.

Unlike my local where all and sundry were milling around, low levels of control and compliance. Beer is not competitively priced and not kept that well - it is this place that gives me an empty feeling when i enter, not the 'spoons

we stayed an hour - it slowly filled up. After about 30 mins (it was about 1600) our neighbour arrived. We left and my neighbour stayed all night, they told me this morning it got full to the permitted max. Everything was controlled, security was good, one way system worked well.....everything you would hope for, from a pub chain with good levels of compliance. There is no empty feeling entering here, staff are happy, beer is kept well and is priced competitively.

Unlike my local where all and sundry were milling around, low levels of control and compliance. Beer is not competitively priced and not kept that well - it is this place that gives me an empty feeling when i enter, not the 'spoons

I noticed the increase in prices, they'll be able to reduce them again and tell you it's the brexit effect in December/Jan.

Either way I am staying out for now. If I go in and there's a case in that pub at he same time as I'm in then I am self isolating for 2 weeks, and I am about to step back into a contract. If I catch it at work, I catch it at work, but losing 2 weeks' work because I happened to be in the pub is too much.

We recently moved home to Leicestershire ( !), went down my new local on Saturday night, no drama's, left our contact details at the entrance. Had a couple of pints with the missus and went home.
Pint of 1664 and a large glass of white £6.60, so cheap too !

If you don't support your local independent business and do everything online, or at home, when you do emerge from your Armageddon bomb shelter there will be nothing left to come out for... you just gotta be sensible and take your own precautions.

Also I find that in such areas the vote for Brexit was popular because they do not have much experience in living with various races such as London, so the thought of keeping immigrants out was appealing, (whether this will prove true is yet to be seen, the Hong Kong situation seems to go to the opposite...?)

Also I find that in such areas the vote for Brexit was popular because they do not have much experience in living with various races such as London, so the thought of keeping immigrants out was appealing, (whether this will prove true is yet to be seen, the Hong Kong situation seems to go to the opposite...?)
Some truth in that, I no longer live there, thankfully.

advertisement

Back