advertisement

Going to the pub on Saturday?

:)I have had warning texts telling me they won't be able to have the jukebox turned up and no shouting .
I do hope this is a general warning and not just for me.

You know you have a problem when you're on text terms with the local :D

Before lockdown I went every evening, early and just for two or sometimes three drinks. With that habit broken I will probably have a little look midweek and stick to outside. If the infection rate goes back up in three weeks I will stay away other than the odd beer garden foray. The problem in Cumbria is we will be mobbed!

I am not rushing to the pub yet. My nearest is 15 paces from my front door, but it is a small operation. A one way travel system in there would be challenge. No word on how they are doing it. Local Facebook group has several pubs explaining how and when they are opening. I doubt they will be short of customers.

As mentioned above we really miss dropping in to a pub on the dog walk at weekends - my wife is especially missing that aspect. A quick pint and pork pie in the sunshine was always a civilised part of our weekends. We might have to wait a bit.

I love my local but I will wait till Tuesday, I sense a tiny bit of chaos.

you-sir-have-5c69da.jpg

My landlady sent me a text last night asking me if i'll be coming in for a pint on Saturday,sadly I had to decline!

Not worth the risk!

Steve C.. yes I'm in Tad - my profile pic is of our knackered bridge a few years back. Humphrey Smith is a fruitcake - google 'Nun Appleton Hall'. It is/was a beautiful stately home about 5m from me. He bought it many years ago, wanted to make a few period alterations but was refused planning permission as it was a listed building. He simply shut it down, built a fence around it and no one can get near it now. That's what he is like - if he can't get his old fashioned way he chucks his toys out of the pram. I do enjoy running through his grounds though - his home Oxton Hall is only 1k from me.

Sadly my local won’t be opening on Saturday, although kids are back at school (Wales). If it was, I’d go and sit outside, enjoy the magnificent view and a couple of pints. I do feel sorry for them as they closed the pub in January to do a full refurb, opened for a week then had to shut. I’ll definitely be supporting them once they are allowed to open.

I recently watched an interview with the Greater Manchester Mayor, Andy Burnham. He was voicing his opinion that it was a mad decision to choose a Saturday as the pub reopening day. I enjoy a few pints but think I'll leave it a while yet. Expect it will be busy though. Drinkers gotta drink.

Agree 100% it will be like silly season- which is just as well as l will be at work:(, so Wednesday will be jolly up day.:D

My pub visits have in the past been few and far between. They will become even fewer and farther between, going forward.

The government’s initial herd immunity policy never really went away did it?

It’s hard to remain empathetic when people know the risks, know the potential outcomes and the problems it poses for everyone as a result. Enjoy your pint, hope it was worth it.

My local will open on 13 July (Monday). I have not really been too inconvenienced by lockdown, but I really miss the social aspect of the pub. In recent weeks we have been meeting there a couple of times a week, bringing our own drinks, and chatting with the Landlord in the beer garden.

Social distance should not be a problem. I drink there at lunchtimes and (Mon-Friday) there are only about 5-7 regular customers (more Sat/Sun lunchtimes). Cash free is a recent innovation but works OK.

I see one of the measures JD Wetherspoons are putting in place are welcome signs which will give guidance to customers, including asking them to only visit their pubs if they feel well.

Also members of staff only employed for the purpose of wiping down card machines and surfaces.

The new front line?

I wouldn't venture into a city centre on Saturday (virus or not) but will be doing everything I can to support my local business and community. Shockingly reckless and selfish behaviour I know.

The governor of Texas has said that his one regret was reopening bars too soon. I feel for the industry but I think it’s a very risky move to reopen pubs.

advertisement

Back