advertisement

God Fleetwood Mac were good

A Few Mac facts. The band was called Fleetwood Mac because from day one Green told them he would leave and that , they'd still have a band when he did hence Fleetwood Mac. Green was furious when the record co, without consulting him, titled the first album Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.

The drugs myth and Germany. Green spent 3 days in Germany jamming with Amon Duul II and rates it as one of the best musical moments of his life. Check his first solo album out and the "Krautrock" influence is smeared all over it. Green knew he couldn't ask the rest of the band to follow where he wanted to go and he wanted to try new things.

The Play On; Is a four piece, Jeremy Spencer was off with the fairies by then, not Green and the album is split between Kirwan and Green songs, the original British version track listing is the best

Green didn't lose it post Mac for several years, he actually subbed on guitar for Mac on a major tour in the early 70s.

FWIW , I reckon had Green moved to Germany post Mac and immersed himself in the scene over there he'd have found musos who understood where he wanted to travel and been free of the whole "Write another top 10 single Peter" crap the record company were forever demanding of him.

Sorry my friend, but where do you get this stuff?

ISTR we had a similar conversation about LED ZEP in 2015, where you made outrageous claims about how you and your teeny mates had a 'Darkness in your souls', which could only be resolved by 'Zep' being the first band to only sell albums or somesuch shite.

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/posts/2512080/

Please try to stay this side of fantasy..

Sorry my friend, but where do you get this stuff?

ISTR we had a similar conversation about LED ZEP in 2015, where you made outrageous claims about how you and your teeny mates had a 'Darkness in your souls', which could only be resolved by 'Zep' being the first band to only sell albums or somesuch shite.

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/posts/2512080/

Please try to stay this side of fantasy..

Don't you just hate reality? Peter's own words about Munich speaking in 2009

"I had a good play there, it was great, someone recorded it, they gave me a tape. There were people playing along, a few of us just fooling around and it was... yeah it was great." He told Jeremy Spencer at the time "That's the most spiritual music I've ever recorded in my life."

You really should refrain from selective quoting without referencing your source... which is.. none other than Wikipedia:

Fleetwood Mac

Green on 18 March 1970

In 1969, after signing to Immediate Records for one single ("Man of the World",[17] prior to that label's collapse) the group signed with Warner Bros. Records' Reprise Records label and recorded their fourth studio album Then Play On, prominently featuring the group's new third guitarist, 18-year-old Danny Kirwan. Green had first seen Kirwan in 1967 playing with his blues trio Boilerhouse, with Trevor Stevens on bass and Dave Terrey on drums.[18] Green was impressed with Kirwan's playing and used the band as a support act for Fleetwood Mac before recruiting Kirwan to his own band in 1968 at the suggestion of Mick Fleetwood. [19] Spencer, however, made virtually no contribution to Then Play On, owing to his reported refusal to play on any of Green's original material.[citation needed]

Beginning with "Man of the World"'s melancholy lyric, Green's bandmates began to notice changes in his state of mind. He was taking large doses of LSD, grew a beard and began to wear robes and a crucifix. Mick Fleetwood recalls Green becoming concerned about wealth: "I had conversations with Peter Green around that time and he was obsessive about us not making money, wanting us to give it all away. And I'd say, 'Well you can do it, I don't wanna do that, and that doesn't make me a bad person.'"[12]

While touring Europe in late March 1970, Green took LSD at a party at a commune in Munich, an incident cited by Fleetwood Mac manager Clifford Davis as the crucial point in his mental decline. [20] [21] Communard Rainer Langhans mentions in his autobiography that he and Uschi Obermaier met Green in Munich, where they invited him to their Highfisch-Kommune. Their real intention was to persuade Green to help arrange for Jimi Hendrix and the Rolling Stones to perform as headline acts at a Woodstock-styled festival in Bavaria.[citation needed] Fleetwood Mac roadie Dinky Dawson remembers that Green went to the party with another roadie, Dennis Keane, and that when Keane returned to the band's hotel to explain that Green would not leave the commune, Keane, Dawson and Mick Fleetwood travelled there to fetch him.[22] By contrast, Green stated that he had fond memories of jamming at the commune when speaking in 2009: "I had a good play there, it was great, someone recorded it, they gave me a tape. There were people playing along, a few of us just fooling around and it was... yeah it was great." He told Jeremy Spencer at the time "That's the most spiritual music I've ever recorded in my life." After a final performance on 20 May 1970, Green left Fleetwood Mac.[23]

I can't argue with any of the above.. but I can speculate that Green's eventual diagnosis of Schizophrenia, alongside his increasing use of LSD and other drugs etc., at the very least point to his recall being defective. To the point that the extremely selective part that you quoted, without referencing your source, may be therefore less significant than you infer.

Don't you just hate reality? Peter's own words about Munich speaking in 2009

"I had a good play there, it was great, someone recorded it, they gave me a tape. There were people playing along, a few of us just fooling around and it was... yeah it was great." He told Jeremy Spencer at the time "That's the most spiritual music I've ever recorded in my life."

It doesn't mention Amon Duul 2 though. :)

IIRC the late Cyril Davis on vocals and Harmonica. Korner on guitar. Dick Heckstall Smith on sax.

Still a seriously good listen after all these years.. :)

advertisement

Back