advertisement

God Fleetwood Mac were good

Every time I go to this thread I get ads from something called the Messianic Prophecy Bible Project. Down to the title, I suppose.

Mick Fleetwood and John Mcvie are a very lucky rhythm section they landed on their feet with both incarnations of Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey Buckingham is the gem of the band imo,awesome guitarist and a great singer. I prefer the 80s albums.

For me the original lineup was the true Fleetwood Mac the later outfit to me were a pop band only my opinion.

Regards,

Martin

In fairness Fleetwood Mac have always been a pop band. Granted they were a blues band earlier in their career but they were still a very popular band.

SMH.

As I said, I think Rumours and Tango In The Night are good albums. But I feel the rest of the modern albums each have only one or two songs of note (am thinking Gypsy, Rhiannon etc.) but filler otherwise.

The FM blues stuff I've heard was nice, but straight blues at the end of the day - not a genre I'm really into. Then Play On for example is not my thing. For me, if you've heard one blues riff you've heard them all. I need something with a real twist like Four by Blues Traveler or Road Ragas by Harry Manx to grab my attention. Each to their own.

Your loss mate, just listen to Man of the World or Oh Well and, especially knowing what happened to Peter, tell me that it's just another blues riff. He was the best, he really was a star of the British scene of that time and I still love that sound.

For me the original lineup was the true Fleetwood Mac the later outfit to me were a pop band only my opinion.

Regards,

Martin

So only 'Long Grey Mare' on the debut album does it for seeings as it's the only track that Bob Brunning plays on? ;)

Your loss mate, just listen to Man of the World or Oh Well and, especially knowing what happened to Peter, tell me that it's just another blues riff. He was the best, he really was a star of the British scene of that time and I still love that sound.
It obviously affects you - when music does this it's a beautiful thing, so I will leave it there. Music is so personal isn't it.

Some robust opinions here, it's good to read all sides.

I don't feel the need to polarise my view of their music through the decades.

I think I've enjoyed all the albums they've made including the lost hippy kind of vibes from the post Green 70s.

A Few Mac facts. The band was called Fleetwood Mac because from day one Green told them he would leave and that , they'd still have a band when he did hence Fleetwood Mac. Green was furious when the record co, without consulting him, titled the first album Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.

The drugs myth and Germany. Green spent 3 days in Germany jamming with Amon Duul II and rates it as one of the best musical moments of his life. Check his first solo album out and the "Krautrock" influence is smeared all over it. Green knew he couldn't ask the rest of the band to follow where he wanted to go and he wanted to try new things.

The Play On; Is a four piece, Jeremy Spencer was off with the fairies by then, not Green and the album is split between Kirwan and Green songs, the original British version track listing is the best

Green didn't lose it post Mac for several years, he actually subbed on guitar for Mac on a major tour in the early 70s.

FWIW , I reckon had Green moved to Germany post Mac and immersed himself in the scene over there he'd have found musos who understood where he wanted to travel and been free of the whole "Write another top 10 single Peter" crap the record company were forever demanding of him.

The drugs myth and Germany. Green spent 3 days in Germany jamming with Amon Duul II and rates it as one of the best musical moments of his life. Check his first solo album out and the "Krautrock" influence is smeared all over it. Green knew he couldn't ask the rest of the band to follow where he wanted to go and he wanted to try new things.

Unless it's stated somewhere, I'm not sure he would have jammed with Duul II. Peter was at the the 'Highfisch Kommune' which was where Uschi Obermaier and Rainer Langhans moved to in 1969 from 'Kommune 1', which is where Amon Duul were based before splitting into two different bands. Amon Duul II had moved on by then.

That said, the first and last tracks on 'End of the Game' has elements of Ash Ra Tempel, Agitation Free, 'power trio' TD and Guru Guru in there.

I happen to think that that song is one of the greatest songs ever composed, it is simply majestic & I could listen to it all day long.

Peter Green & Paul Kossof are my guitar heroes, they could get notes out of the guitar that nobody else could touch, simply spellbinding.

YES! And all the different guitar sounds used on 'Man Of The World' are simply perfect, each one!

Post PG FM is a bit like Ringo and George would have formed a new group in the 70's and called it Beatles.

YES! And all the different guitar sounds used on 'Man Of The World' are simply perfect, each one!

Post PG FM is a bit like Ringo and George would have formed a new group in the 70's and called it Beatles.

Unfair on George and Ringo !

Let's stop with the snobbery guys. As above, I saw the original 'Mac' at least three times.(Was seeing so many great bands back then it all blurs into one..) They were head and shoulders above most bands in performance terms.. powerful, confident, innovative etc. They had a ball at every gig. But if we're honest.. they were also riding the Brit Blues boom. Albatross, Oh Well, 'Need Your Love so Bad and Man of the World were great tunes. but they were all essentially blues.
Others would take up the mantle later.
I think anyone who dismisses 'Rumours' is deluded. It was a great album.. as were others by the later Fleetwood Mac incarnations.

Somewhere, I have the 'Vintage Years' double album. IIRC, the one real 'stand out' on that is 'Love That Burns'.. there are various inferior versions floating about on 'The Tube', but this is the one..

When I was wandering about.. doing more LSD.Amphetamines and 'Blow' than I should...I fell in love with this tune:

Thing is that it.. as well as dreams of World Peace, became rather quaint and dated all too soon. Whilst the other 'Mac' stuff has lasted well.. Dragonfly seems very much of its time.

A Few Mac facts. The band was called Fleetwood Mac because from day one Green told them he would leave and that , they'd still have a band when he did hence Fleetwood Mac. Green was furious when the record co, without consulting him, titled the first album Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.

The Play On; Is a four piece, Jeremy Spencer was off with the fairies by then, not Green and the album is split between Kirwan and Green songs, the original British version track listing is the best

Green didn't lose it post Mac for several years, he actually subbed on guitar for Mac on a major tour in the early 70s.

FWIW , I reckon had Green moved to Germany post Mac and immersed himself in the scene over there he'd have found musos who understood where he wanted to travel and been free of the whole "Write another top 10 single Peter" crap the record company were forever demanding of him.

I can't argue with any of the above as I have no evidence. But your post does conflict with the 'accepted' story, so it would be helpful if you could provide some sources/references.

advertisement

Back