advertisement

God Fleetwood Mac were good

I like the newer version of Fleetwood Mac for Rumours only, it was music of the time & as such can be regarded a classic I suppose, anything afterwards would always struggle.

The original Fleetwood Mac were a great blues band, and what they morphed into was also a great band. They'll be remembered for their latter incarnation, and not for being just another blues band.

I don't think they were "just another blues band" more like THE blues band, the later stuff is just naff 70s pop rock, probably good naff 70s pop rock if you like that sort of thing but hardly related to the original band.

I don't think they were "just another blues band" more like THE blues band, the later stuff is just naff 70s pop rock, probably good naff 70s pop rock if you like that sort of thing but hardly related to the original band.
Deserving of honourable mention
Keef Hartley Band
Chicken Shack

the root of most of the blues bands
John Mayall

Nope, Meddle to WYWH is where they're at for me. Although the live side of Ummagumma is cracking, too.

Got to say WYWH is my favourite. Liked Animals when it was released - and bought the album - but now it does nothing for me.

I have an original copy of The Wall but can’t find it.

A matter of opinion of course. FM in their original form were a fixture around where I grew up in South London & I saw them live a fair few times. They were excellent, but then so were other blues bands of the period. But ask most folk nowadays what they remember about Fleetwood Mac & they'll not have a clue about the blues stuff.

I tend to think of Fleetwood Mac as two distinct bands - pre and post the arrival of Nicks and Buckingham, although I appreciate it’s not quite that straightforward.
As others have said, many folk are unaware of the blues band era version of the band, and think of their output as starting with ‘Fleetwood Mac’ and the likes of ‘Rhiannon’. I wonder how things would have gone had Green stayed with the band.

Mick

SMH.

As I said, I think Rumours and Tango In The Night are good albums. But I feel the rest of the modern albums each have only one or two songs of note (am thinking Gypsy, Rhiannon etc.) but filler otherwise.

The FM blues stuff I've heard was nice, but straight blues at the end of the day - not a genre I'm really into. Then Play On for example is not my thing. For me, if you've heard one blues riff you've heard them all. I need something with a real twist like Four by Blues Traveler or Road Ragas by Harry Manx to grab my attention. Each to their own.

SMH.

As I said, I think Rumours and Tango In The Night are good albums. But I feel the rest of the modern albums each have only one or two songs of note (am thinking Gypsy, Rhiannon etc.) but filler otherwise.

The FM blues stuff I've heard was nice, but straight blues at the end of the day - not a genre I'm really into. Then Play On for example is not my thing. For me, if you've heard one blues riff you've heard them all. I need something with a real twist like Four by Blues Traveler or Road Ragas by Harry Manx to grab my attention. Each to their own.

Just listened to Four by Blues Traveler. Not my thing. Made me think of this:

Agree its best to think of Fleetwood Mac as a succession of different bands... The original set of players around Peter Green, a later set with irregular members including Danny Kirwan (until 1972) and Christine McVie, then the globally successful west coast pop rock band from 1975 onwards after Buckingham and Nicks joined. Different bands.

However, the bucks/nicks era should not be dismissed as "just"pop....they had some magnificent songs, and it's very significant that a lot of artists now are re-travelling a similar sort of style, including some who showed up in this year's best albums lists e.g Kacey Musgrave, Sunflower Bean.

Reading some comments on this thread reminds me of a thread from a few years back on Genesis "they were best with Anthony Philips" LOL.

advertisement

Back