1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

God Fleetwood Mac were good

Discussion in 'music' started by avole, Dec 21, 2018.

1. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

If only ...

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

...they’d played ambient techno or free jazz?

kendo likes this.
  3. avole

Fair enough, and well played. Bought "Then Play On" the other day - flawed, but who cares? Shame the doco on BBC 4 glosses over the early stuff. Yes, their later pop albums were nice, but the electricity (and tensions) between the three leads on their first albums was never equalled. I mean, "Somebody's Gonna Get their Head Kicked in Tonight" - satire, violence and one of the best Elvis impersonations recorded in one song.

Mullardman and kendo like this.
  4. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Rumours and Tango In The Night are both good albums IMO.

Pedro83 likes this.
  5. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Oh well... probably

6. avole

Nah - Just got "Bare Trees"- more for the cover than the music, I have to say. Yet to play it.

Snufkin likes this.
  7. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Meh, I thought there would at least be a few chicks on it :(

8. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Fleetwood Mac were indeed great- especially the first 3 albums with the 'classic' line up.'

matt j likes this.
  9. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Saw the real Fleetwood Mac live so many times.
    They were beyond wonderful
    The three guitar lineup was the very best

The other lot. Not for me

kendo and matt j like this.
  10. Helen Bach

Helen Bach if it ain't Baroque ...

saw them in the late 60's with Kirwan and Spencer (and Peter Green of course) and they were the tightest band I have ever seen.

They morphed when Peter left, and turned into something completely different, far too commercial for me...

Mullardman, mikechadwick and matt j like this.
  11. essgee

essgee Active Member

As said by others, their first albums were good. Live they were brilliant. Very sad when the "German" drugs do affected Green, who was such a excellent player/writer.

12. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

13. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

My favourite Fleetwood Mac recordings are probably the epic Live in Boston set and Then Play On by the first incarnation of the band and Bare Trees, the best album made by the short lived lineup led by Danny Kirwan. The Buckingham/Nicks material doesn't do much for me.

14. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

You're the sort of people who prefer early Pink Floyd aren't you?!

Still likes this.
  15. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Up to Atom Heart Mother all was well with the world.
    Downwards from there for me

wacko likes this.
  16. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Loved Rumours, liked Tusk, lost interest after that. Too slick, too smooth.

Really loved the earlier Peter Green period. Saw him in concert around 2001, he was very fragile. Played Man of the World as an instrumental encore - he couldn’t bear to sing the words.

kendo and JTWzen like this.
  17. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Then Play On - classic album, very underrated. The singles around the album Oh Well & Green Manalishi we’re also highlights at the time.

18. matt j

matt j pfm Member

This is Fleetwood Mac, the abomination that came later should have taken a different name

Martyn Miles, MichaelC and AV8 like this.
  19. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

I happen to think that that song is one of the greatest songs ever composed, it is simply majestic & I could listen to it all day long.

Peter Green & Paul Kossof are my guitar heroes, they could get notes out of the guitar that nobody else could touch, simply spellbinding.

20. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

If I may be so bold & go off topic a touch :

Pedro83 likes this.