advertisement

Gmail users please read: Notifications etc are not working on pfm

Tony L

Administrator
I’m at right the end of my patience with this one. Every account registered using a gmail address is bouncing back notification emails, account confirmation emails etc. I deleted about 13,000 of the bloody things from my spam folder only a couple of weeks ago.

This is obviously a huge issue for the >9000 users registered using a Gmail address.

It seems to be a SPF record/authentication thing, but I’ve added the record as suggested and it appears pfm’s DNS records are perfectly valid. It has an SPF record with include:_spf.google.com which I thought was all that is needed. In fairness I only added that this morning, but it has propagated and the bounces keep coming.

Every one is bounced back with the following failure notification:

550-5.7.26 This message does not pass authentication checks (SPF and DKIM both 550-5.7.26 do not pass). SPF check for [pinkfishmedia.net] does not pass with 550-5.7.26 ip: [2a00:d680:20:50::1dc].To best protect our users from spam, the 550-5.7.26 message has been blocked. Please visit 550-5.7.26 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more 550 5.7.26 information.

If anyone with modern web server experience knows a fix for this I’d really appreciate it as I’ve wasted hours on it and seem to be getting nowhere. This is the help I’ve got from my web host (link) and I have implemented it.

It is only Gmail. Everything else sent to a legitimate address seems to be getting through.

PS Please, if you are a gmail user, turn all email notifications off or change your registration email to another supplier.

The site's gone a bit flaky for me in the last hour or so. Slow to load. It just failed to load, and the error page said something about a faulty DNS entry.

I'm not one of your Gmail customers, but not sure if this feedback might be related, and thus helpful?

The site's gone a bit flaky for me in the last hour or so. Slow to load. It just failed to load, and the error page said something about a faulty DNS entry.

I'm not one of your Gmail customers, but not sure if this feedback might be related, and thus helpful?

I have a feeling that is not connected, but if it happens again please PM me the error message.

I have to admit I’m way out of my depth here as I’ve lost all interest in modern IT. pfm is very out of date now and when it comes to updating it, which this issue may drive, I’ll just pay someone to do it as I have neither the time, interest or motivation to research a load of stuff that doesn’t interest me in the slightest. When researching this earlier I didn’t even know what an SPF record was, and I don’t want to! I also find I need to know about DMARC, DKIM signing and endless amounts of crap I really do not know anything about or have the inclination to learn. This, just to get bloody gmail to work.

Is it the IPv6 address? Do you have TXT records for that?

I don’t think pfm even has IPv6 does it? I’m certainly not aware of it.

PS Here’s the Google support. It provides no help that I can understand.

spf records are for your outbound server addresses, so adding spf.google.com won't help sending mails to gmail addresses if your emails aren't coming from a google server. I'm also thinking the IPv6 address is the issue here.

Your SPF record currently looks like this: v=spf1 ip4:93.114.235.135 include:_spf.google.com include:zoho.eu ~all

This allows the IP address 93.114.235.135 (pinkfishmedia.net), various Google servers (should only be necessary if you're using Google services to send email), and various zoho.eu addresses (apparently your mail provider) to send email as originating from pinkfishmedia.net. The error message lists an IPv6 address (2a00:d680:20:50::1dc) that isn't covered by any of these rules, and this results in a rejection.

A reverse DNS lookup on that IPv6 address yields pinkfishmedia2020.nh-serv.co.uk, apparently your web hosting provider. A regular lookup of that name gives the usual pinkfishmedia.net IPv4 address as well as that same IPv6 address.

I suspect what you need to do is add "ip6:2a00:d680:20:50::1dc" to your SPF record. Also drop the include:_spf.google.com since that doesn't seem to be relevant to your hosting situation.

You could try adding ip6:2a00:d680:20:50::1dc to the spf record and see if that helps? Not sure if that sending address is dynamic in any way though, in which case it won't help much.

Thanks folks. I’ve just set the SPF to:

v=spf1 ip4:93.114.235.135 ip6:2a00:d680:20:50::1dc include:zoho.eu ~all

It will no doubt take time to propagate.

I can see the new SPF record now, so I guess Google can too. If the bounces continue, the problem must be elsewhere.

What an absolute pain for you, I thought I was bad getting 50 spam today after joining the Kenwood L07d group yesterday as recommended on my wanted advert!!

This issue will explain why I've never received a single notification, ever.

I just got the first notification for a long time, so it looks like that SPF change has worked.

Excellent. To early to be sure, but I’ve not had a bounce for over an hour now which is very unusual. I’d never have guessed that issue was down to not including an IPv6 address I had no idea I had in an SPF record I had no idea existed. Thanks to all who helped.

PS There are 700 Gmail members currently in a ‘waiting for email confirmation’ state. That is way too many for me to manually push, it would take hours. Sadly XenForo’s batch update is too dumb to deal with switching that particular parameter to ‘valid’, so if this applies to anyone reading this please just go through a password reset and see if you get a confirmation email.

Hi guys
Long time lurker who tried to join some time back in May and has been kept out because I could just not confirm my account.
Very frustrating.

I went through the change email option and my account has been confirmed via gmail so it looks like I’m now sorted for notifications, thanks :)

My notifications are working fine on Gmail, in fact I had to switch off a couple that I must have set years ago that suddenly started working again.

Thanks for fixing this :)

advertisement

Back