advertisement

Glenn Croft MM Phonostage capacitance loading

I suspect the 66pF comes as much from the 3 x RCA plugs as it does from the cable.

The thing that is interesting is just how much lower capacitance the gold solid-metal Y plug is at 22pF. It serves the same purpose and will enable a far lower start-point. I’d like to try and end up with choices in the region of 25, 50, 100, 150pF including the plug-thing’s capacitance. I’m pretty sure that will tell me what I need to know.

The thing that is interesting is just how much lower capacitance the gold solid-metal Y plug is at 22pF. It serves the same purpose and will enable a far lower start-point. I’d like to try and end up with choices in the region of 25, 50, 100, 150pF including the plug-thing’s capacitance. I’m pretty sure that will tell me what I need to know.
Likely nothing more than a solid link within between pin and 2 x sockets, with mostly air as dielectric.

In @Rexton's case, his cable based 'Y' connectors should be fine, as he is likely aiming for an additional 200pF for something approaching a flatter response.

If the splitters are male on the single plug end and female on the dual plug ends like those pictured above then, yes, these will do without having to include any additional adapters.

If your loading plugs consist of capacitors soldered across +ve and -ve within RCA male plugs, then these will also do.

Ideally, one would take into consideration the capacitance of the 'Y' splitter and include this in the calculation of what value of additional capacitance sounds best.
Thanks, that's saved me a few quid!

advertisement

Back