advertisement

Glenn Croft is building amplifiers again! CroftAcoustics.co.uk

were did you arrange your demo.
I am toying with getting a pre to go with my puresound 2a3 amp, and am interested in this.
Phil

Like Dave says, have a look at the dealer list.
Then realise there are none in the South West.

You could then do what I did which was to call Audioflair. Adrian has been very helpful and seems to be in touch with Glenn on a regular basis. My first query was that I get slightly more hum from the transformer than I would like; only an issue if it's late (ie, quiet) and what I'm listening to has silent bits in the music.
Answer came back that, yes, there is a bit, it may be slightly worse where I am, there may be some things to try but if it really bugs me the transformer in the R version will be silent.
Second, there's just a bit more gain than I'd like (in my system). This is intentionally a higher gain pre than it's immediate predecessors. Getting it quiet enough isn't an issue, getting it quiet enough and balanced (with the dual pots) is just a little bit more of a faff than I'd like. Coming from a TVC which is often sited as not having enough adjustment at the quiet end, I don't think I'm being over fussy and I don't have a problem with the dual pots as such.
Other than these two (minor) points I'm really struggling to find anything not to like. I've also got a WDPre3 on the way and am hoping the comparison will be interesting.

Just buy one blind! You won't be disappointed!!!!

I've said before how much I enjoyed my first Croft preamp nearly twenty years ago. I couldn't quite get the magic from my current one, despite some Glenn authorised mods I did. I remember my first pre had some mil spec line valves rather than "standard" ECC82's and I recently took a gamble on some 5841a's on eBay. Bloody 'ell, the thing's come to life and I've been playing more music than ever. Currently the first beatles album on CD - the differences in each track being clear as a bell without turning the volume up and the Crown/BC2's sounding better than ever......................... this release is Mono too ;)

My first query was that I get slightly more hum from the transformer than I would like; only an issue if it's late (ie, quiet) and what I'm listening to has silent bits in the music.

If you mean mechanical 'hum' from the transformer ? This is probably an effect of your mains as the Croft Micro 25's I have had here and installed have all been virtually silent.

If you mean mechanical 'hum' from the transformer ? This is probably an effect of your mains as the Croft Micro 25's I have had here and installed have all been virtually silent.

It may well be the mains. It's on a dedicated spur already and we have a private earth (there is no mains earth), have tried it with everything else on the spur off and it makes no difference. It's by no means loud enough to be intrusive, but I'd rather it wasn't there at all.
Any suggestions for things to try gratefully received.

Personally, I've always been blessed with quiet mains. Even here, in the country with overhead power lines, it is good but I do know it can be a problem. The new Croft pre and power aren't completely silent but they are quieter than a lot of other products I won't mention.

I'm no expert on these matters but you seem to be doing all you should. I take it that your earth is sound and OK'd by an Electrician ? Maybe a simple filter like one of those from Isotek or RATA might help ?

Failing that, have you tried pressing on the case or putting a brick (of course you haven't) on top, to see if this quietens down the vibrations. Also take care that what it sits on isn't amplifying the noise. Pick it up and see if it is quieter.

If all else fails, e-mail Glenn and see if he can help. Address on his website.

David

Ask Glenn!

My pre has some sponge of some description on top, underneath and in between the transformer fixing bolts, locked with double nuts. No hum whatsoever, mechanical or otherwise ;) The D-60 transformers are a different matter, however, but not enough to worry me..

Thanks, yes have already asked.
Yes I agree it's quiet by general standards and there's no hum I can detect through the speakers - which would be more annoying. If I decide to go ahead and buy one the transformer wouldn't be a deal breaker but would be something I'd probably want to address in the future, and according to Glenn it will be fixable. Have also had a reply on the gain issue and yes there's a straightforward fix there. The Sugden is rated at 650mV for max output which isn't particularly sensitive I gather.

The earth was installed within the past few years when we had a full re-wire; due to some issues at the time we actually have two earth stakes and the earthing was checked more times than I can remember, including a check by the supply company's engineer. We are within sight of the substation and there's nothing local that I can think of that would be noisy.
The various mechanical damping options sound worth exploring as well.

You're never alone with a Glenn.:D

If there's a fix, he will fix it. I can't remember any problems with Glenn's gear since we started selling it in the early 80's and I'm sure you will get it sorted out. Worth trying the mechanical things, though I'm sure Glenn will have a more sophisticated fix.

Excuse me for borrowing this thread to express my gratitude towards Glenn for his kindness.

I’m from Hong Kong. I bought a Precision 1 preamp on the local 2nd Hi Fi market in near mint condition about a month or so ago. The sonic difference was just amazing; there’re a lot more dynamic.

Anyway, one of the brand new pack of Duracel batteries, which I'd bought, leaked and caused damage not only to the battery holder but also defaced the surrounding chasis. It’s such an upsetting experience. However hard I tried, there just wasn’t a battery holder replacement available. So I sent an email to Glenn to see if he still had one I could buy. His immediate response was to send me a new one at no charge. And I didn’t even buy the amp from him!

Thanks to Glenn, my preamp is in full swing again despite of the ‘disfiguration’.

I beg your pardon for barging in on this threa

They are affordable, the Micro Basic is a stunningly good pre with a MM phono input and costs just £350. Next step up is the Micro 25, also with a brilliant MM phono stage at £700 and for the 'well heeled' there is the top of the range 'R' version pre at £1400.

I haven't heard a Croft preamp so I can't say how they compare to Tron but both are amps built by guys who are passionate about music and who have probably forgotten more about designing amps than many big factories ever knew in the first place. Added to which, Croft and Tron amps are designed and built by hand by the designer himself, who doesn't have to pay for a marketing dept, factory, etc etc and can invest more in the componentry that goes into an amp at a given price point. I'd certainly like to compare a Tron and a Croft preamp, that would make for an enjoyable afternoon!

I've had 2 valve pres now. I had a Verdier Ctrl-B Active, which is a French valve pre with an off-board PSU and dual mono volume controls.

I now have a Tron Seven Preamplifier (the new one with the phono stage built in) which has a conventional stereo volume knob.

Both sound very different from Arcam!!! Both amps have a wonderful richness, especially in terms of human voice. Detail is there in abundance too, don't be fooled by all that stuff about valves sounding 'warm' as meaning there's a loss of top end, cos it isn't true. The Tron costs just over double the Verdier. One look inside and it is immediately apparent why. The Tron amp has much better quality components inside, as well as very neat point-to-point wiring which reminds me of the looms we used to create to mil spec at a well-known defence company... Sound-wise and looks-wise the Tron delivers spade-loads more value for money than the Verdier, which is in itself a good and versatile unit, if a little quirky in looks (small non-standard size case in champagne finish).

For what it's worth, going back to the big debate about dual mono volume controls:
With the Verdier, I initially found it a pain in the a***, but you do get used to it. In some ways it is good to have a means of controlling the balance without more circuitry in the signal path, and I can see why Glenn might be an advocate of this. However, in real life, I found myself spending too much time tweaking the volume to get the channels even every time I (or the Missus!) adjusted the volume. In the end I was really pleased to get the Tron. I wanted it for its sound quality over the Verdier, but SWMBO was unimpressed by my spending more money on hifi kit... until I pointed out that the Tron would only have one (very high quality) volume control. Purchase request approved! And I have to say that now I'm back to one volume knob, although I have to accept that I cannot adjust the balance, I have not found that I need to anyway, but it's so much nicer just being able to adjust the volume without upsetting the balance every time. Which means I can just get on with listening to the record…

Hello All,

I am sure you all will be pleased to know that Glenn Croft has built his first amplifiers for over twelve months. Production is still a few months away, however I can tell you all that I have heard the prototypes and you can all be assured that the "Micro ethos" of nearly twenty years ago is back!

Giant killer performance on a budget is what you can expect very soon! See the pages I have put up at http://www.croftacoustics.co.uk/prototypes.html and http://www.croftacoustics.co.uk for more details.

Glenn will be watching the forum so let us know what you all think!

Best, Matt.

is he still living in erdington

advertisement

Back