advertisement

Glenn Croft is building amplifiers again! CroftAcoustics.co.uk

In reality, two pots aren't a problem. Glenn's amps have always been wonderful value for money and customers are prepared to put up with a tiny bit of inconvenience for the sound quality. We sold so many assorted Croft pre's over the years and I can't recall ever losing a sale because of two pots. There were a few moans but nobody ever refused to buy.

The whole issue over two pots is exaggerated ... however it does seem to provide endless distraction. Is there a good reason why this dual function cannot be solved by using two stepped attenuators which can be accurately clicked into identical positions quickly and easily?

I for one would fret endlessly worrying by me time little mind that perhaps the right pot is a little too far to the right and so has thrown the stereo image off centre! That kind of distraction is not healthy while trying to relax and focus on the music.

That's one thing that always makes me uptight ... wondering if the soundstage is in the right place! I think that in my youth I must have had so many knackered old amps with dodgy connections that they've scarred me for life! That's way I just love to listen to music from my shed system when working in the garage or out in the garden. No worries about imagery! And its a bloody good system ... the old Marantz receiver (FM! Radio 3!) and a pair of Mission 770s I picked up on fleabay for 20 quid!!! Nae bad for the shed eh!!

770's for £20? Lucky fella. By now, the piercing top will have mellowed nicely into the silky midrange, if a pair I had for a short while are anything to go by.

..these are the mark 2 versions which I believe had the screach tame a little. Certainly where they are sat at the minute ...about 8 ft high ... there is no complaints about a shrill top end. I have plans to eventually hang them off the rafters a little lower, widely spaced and pointed at ear level (wherever earlevel is when mincing around a garage!) and mate them with a more powerful and capable amp. I have a few ideas, and even an amp in my own arsenal of amps, but that may be too good for the shed! Basically I need to find something really decent, but a stonking bargain like the spkrs so that I still feel I'm doing justice to the shed brotherhood!!

and they are built on Elma switches by the looks of it.

As they say on their website:

"Goldpoint stepped attenuators employ ELMA, 24-position, precision switch components. They have smooth turning torque, great for audio applications.

All current models employ thick, hard-gold plated switch contacts on PC boards designed (with high precision) by Arn Roatcap. They are fabricated in the San Francisco Bay Area by a leading PC board fabrication facility."

Those Goldpoints look like fine products. The stock items at around $150 for a stereo pair look like good value but the total impedance at 100K may not be enough and the price compared to the Alps pots may be high for a product built to a price.

The custom attenuators look interesting and obviously Vichay or other resistors could be used to make the overall impedance anything you want. But they would be costly to buy and assemble.

I think that perhaps these are products that a DIY'er would retrofit to one of Glenns products. Although personnally I think they would finish off the amp nicely if fitted as OEM equipment.

Those Goldpoints look like fine products. The stock items at around $150 for a stereo pair look like good value but the total impedance at 100K may not be enough and the price compared to the Alps pots may be high for a product built to a price.

The custom attenuators look interesting and obviously Vichay or other resistors could be used to make the overall impedance anything you want. But they would be costly to buy and assemble.

I think that perhaps these are products that a DIY'er would retrofit to one of Glenns products. Although personnally I think they would finish off the amp nicely if fitted as OEM equipment.

Unlike my first series 4PP, the pots on my current one track quite well, but they are 500K and I believe some of the other preamps Glenn made back then used 1M ones, unless I'm mistaken.

In the thirty years I have known Glenn he has been adamant that separate pots are the best way to go. I don't think he is likely to change his mind any day soon so, if it is a problem to anyone, perhaps they should look at other products.

Dave, I don't think is a problem, I think it's an opportunity to influence a new product at the get go. I'm sure we all want the new Croft amps to do well.

They will, I guarantee it, twin volume controls and all.

I just hope Glenn will have time to service his older product at the same time as fulfil his back orders..

The products are a pre complete with phono input, a hybrid power-amp and a separate phono stage. Each item to be approx £700. That was the plan around four months ago. A more expensive range will be available at a later date.

Hi Matt
Slightly off topic maybe but I was wondering if Glenn has any amps from his recent past that he is particularly proud of?

The reason I ask is that I really liked and almost bought a Twinstar IV but then things got rather confusing with the Polestar range (where they a refined Twinstar, a smaller Twinstar, better, worse...) then a Twinstar V and VI, I think... Then mods where offered from the reasonable to the extreme, in terms of cost, and I changed my mind, too confusing.

Sometimes they come up second hand and I am tempted but I would be only interested if they where a proper Glenn Croft product rather than, maybe, some sort of marketing ploy.

Am I right though, that Glenn can "sort" his more extreme products out with sensible upgrades? If so, it doesn't matter which you buy, as Glenn can sympathetically work on them if necessary...

Am I right though, that Glenn can "sort" his more extreme products out with sensible upgrades? If so, it doesn't matter which you buy, as Glenn can sympathetically work on them if necessary...

Can this be confirmed? It would certainly make me feel more comfortable with a purchase.

advertisement

Back