advertisement

Glenn Croft is building amplifiers again! CroftAcoustics.co.uk

matodono1

Trade: Sonik Kables
Hello All,

I am sure you all will be pleased to know that Glenn Croft has built his first amplifiers for over twelve months. Production is still a few months away, however I can tell you all that I have heard the prototypes and you can all be assured that the "Micro ethos" of nearly twenty years ago is back!

Giant killer performance on a budget is what you can expect very soon! See the pages I have put up at http://www.croftacoustics.co.uk/prototypes.html and http://www.croftacoustics.co.uk for more details.

Glenn will be watching the forum so let us know what you all think!

Best, Matt.

"Glenn will be watching the forum so let us know what you all think!"

That being the case, perhaps he'd think twice about the 'dual volume control' - which I know for certain, has more detractors than fans...;)

I do wish Glenn well.

"Glenn will be watching the forum so let us know what you all think!"

That being the case, perhaps he'd think twice about the 'dual volume control' - which I know for certain, has more detractors than fans...;)

I do wish Glenn well.

Thanks Les,

Sorry but the dual mono is back and is staying, Glenn is determined that it performs better than a single pot. His ethos is purely about performance and in the past when he compromised it has simply never sat well with him.

Dual mono is very easy when you get used to using it.

Matt

Pity it will have the dual volume thing, everyone in the house uses our system, and they would all find two volume pots way to geeky, cumbersome, and probably pointless.

"Sorry but the dual mono is back and is staying"

I'm sorry to hear that Matt and really, I don't see the slightest merit in imposing this on potential owners. In any event, with a spot of elementary engineering "nowse", it's prefectly possible to incorporate two separate mono pots onto the same shaft - no..?? Glenn may believe this is a 'unique selling point' but my experience is quite the opposite. Over the years, I've advised many,many enthusiasts to go out and buy the Croft Micro to go with the amps I made at the time. Most of these customers reported they couldn't get along with twin volume pots so bought elsewhere - read into that as you will.

"Dual mono is very easy when you get used to using it."

The question here is - just how many punters are 'prepared' to go to the trouble of getting used to it.? As I said, it puts more folks off than it wins friends - I know this for certain but your mileage may vary as the saying goes.

Only trying to help, Les

Didn't one of the EAR preamps use dual pots that were friction linked inside the case? Turning one volume pot knob "magically" turned the other....but retained the dual mono, and allowed the ballance to be set /adjusted easily. Anyway, nice to hear that Mr. Croft is back=)

The dual pot thing is what's always put me of trying one. I'm with Dudy here. Whilst I would find it mildly irritating and might persuade myself it was worth it if the sounds justified it, I know my other half wouldn't and neither would guests. The kit gets used by her as much as me and sometimes by guests, so purely on the basis of inconvenience the dual pot wouldn't get a look in .... sad to say even if it was the best thing ever, it wouldn't.

If I told them it was a high tech form of room equalisation, I suspect they would look at me as if I had grown an extra head.

Best of luck and all that though.

Tell them it's a hi-tech form of room equalisation :) a.k.a balance control ;)

All that would happen is that ONE volume twiddler would get twiddled, the other would not, I would then get twittered at that it was broken. Stick a rubber band round them so they move together may work, other than the usual- why pay £2k ish for something thats broken. Although the family sort of tolerate my dominating a living room with a system, and the associated clutter of vinyl and cd's, and enjoy listening to it it has to work on similar principal to a TV or a Micro system, one button per task. I have been asked before by a very non hi-fi friend, why has this box got a phone line in it.

Very good news to see Croft back after the EA era.
Yes, I have a Croft pre-amp with the dual volume and not-too-good click stops.
It's really not a very good feature and if we must have separate pots, why not mount them co-axially so they can be moved together or as a balance? (1962 Trippletone style ;) )

I had the super micro with a leak stereo 20, great combination, until i had to sell them to fund my son's drumming career. I'm glad he's keeping the dual volume pots but £1,400 a pop is a bit step, it's not really value for money.

I had a duam mono pre. I never really got used to having dual voume pots. It was a relief when I changed preamps abnd had a stereo pot again. I'd never buy another pre that had separate knobs for left and right.

I sort of see why it can be beneficial to the sound to have two separate volume pots for each channel, but I also see that it is incredibly non-user friendly.

But can't you just connect the two volme pots by some mechanical means (rubber belt, v-belt or gears)?

Just a thought.

Samuel.

My amp has separate left/right input selectors, volume controls, and mute toggles. Doesn't bother me at all, although the knobs are well stepped and clearly marked.

-- Ian

My amp has separate left/right input selectors, volume controls, and mute toggles. Doesn't bother me at all, although the knobs are well stepped and clearly marked.

which might mean dual controls for everything wouldn't bother people, or might mean you are a bit odd ;)

Given that it's such a lovely little thing, any excuse to fondle it twice over is fine by me :)

-- Ian

advertisement

Back