advertisement

Glasto 2019

I 'saw' them 30 years ago at Leeds Poly and thought they were pretty good, but it's hard to be objective. I've rarely seen so many people tripping in one room, and that includes large scale raves in '89.

My problem with them is really I only like the first four or five albums (self-titled, In Search Of Space, Doremi & Space Ritual); that classic tripped-out early-70s spacerock stuff on Liberty & UA. At the time I quite liked the later Charisma label stuff, but it does very little for me now, whereas I still love the first four. I’m lucky in that I have stunningly good original vinyl of the ones I want, but I view most of their catalogue as pretty poor to be honest. As such I was bound to be disappointed as really I wanted to see Hawkwind at a free-festival in about 1971, but I’d have been eight so that wasn’t really possible! When I saw them (would have been ‘99, 00, something like that) it wasn’t the full band (no Nik Turner) and I just felt I was watching Spinal Tap!

PS I saw Nik Turner’s Inner City Unit back in the late ‘70s and got to meet him afterwards as I’d missed my train home, a really nice guy. Got handed my first ever joint, which took the back of my head off! I’ve never really been a stoner since, but a good memory for sure. If one is going to try it, that is the way to do it!

Set the Controls....

Actually, I wont be bothering to watch or setting anything to record this year because the line up is just totally rubbish.

The good old days are gone.

Got handed my first ever joint, which took the back of my head off! I’ve never really been a stoner since, but a good memory for sure. If one is going to try it, that is the way to do it!
I was handed mine while watching Nationwide (as students did) in 1975. I self-consciously took a drag and the reporter doing a piece to camera immediately had a custard pie thrust into his face. I stared at the screen, at the joint, and back at the screen, thinking ‘Wowwwww...!’ Sadly, it had been a staged attack.

I 'saw' them 30 years ago at Leeds Poly and thought they were pretty good, but it's hard to be objective. I've rarely seen so many people tripping in one room, and that includes large scale raves in '89.

I saw them at Leeds Uni (@ the refectory) in Nov 86, they were ok. They are playing RAH in Nov. Just been offered some tickets, but after our RAH experience last week, I declined.

Also got stoned with Nik Turner but he certainly didn't hand me my first J... that would have been a biker I knew who would have been maybe 45 then so as I was 18 he may well no longer be with us by now... now that makes me feel old...:(

I saw them in 1972, and they were excellent. I agree that the first 4 are the good ones. I am very fond of in search of space.

My wife has suddenly expressed an interest in going to Glastonbury. I am amazed, and we have been together 27 years now. And her interest in music is 'patchy' shall we say. We have friends who go every year as they have friends living locally who get the local concession and early entry - so a tent gets set up for them.

I think that the whole 'experience' could be something special irrespective of the music or headliners. If we do try for it - it will glamping all the way - next year is our Silver anniversary - so we should do something 'special'. Certainly less extravagant than going cruise or New York.

I saw them at Leeds Uni (@ the refectory) in Nov 86, they were ok.

Now you mention it; it was Leeds Uni Refectory, not the Poly. And probably 29 years ago. Lapses in historical detail aside, I still have a clear memory of the sense that it was pretty much mandatory to be off your tits.

If the weather is good, Glastonbury can be an amazing experience. Whatever you choose to imbibe, the majority spend their weekend in a happy daze and it’s generally pretty friendly. I’ve chosen not to go for the past few years since Emily Eavis took over running the festival and the headliners don’t appeal to me any more. I have great memories of seeing REM, Radiohead, Prodigy, Pulp, Foo Fighters, Blur, Roger Waters, Smashing Pumpkins, etc etc. Even New Model Army on a sunny afternoon made a great experience, but there was so much other entertainment it was never dull. These days however, the dull lineup and £250 entry fee have led me to look elsewhere.

This year me and the family will try out the Levellers ‘Beautiful days’ festival and I will report back in due course.

'Glasto' is not for me but for those who like that kind of thing the experience probably trumps the line up. I do object to the way it completely takes over the BBC over the weekend, 6 music will be unlistenable. Live music never seems to sound good when you are not in the room.

As far as Hawkwind is concerned, for me it’s the first five up to and including Mountain Grill, plus Electric Teepee which has some good stuff on it.

Mick

advertisement

Back