advertisement

Giz a job

snaphappybob

pfm Member
Being from Liverpool I think using the term doesn't count as cultural appropriation.:D
I know its a long shot but if anyone knows of anything going in or around merseyside?
I have experience in administration for admissions department of a university, many years experience in retail, mainly photographic and hi-fi plus self employment as a photographer. I'm educated to masters level and can turn my hand to most things but this job market is so depressing. I have applied for numerous jobs and haven't even been given an interview. I suspect this is due to my age, at 50 I'm overqualified which in real terms translates as too old.
Don't really like asking but I'm past the point of having any shame at the mo and the last thing I want to do is start selling my hifi to make ends meet.

I think the UK is in for a tough few years and there will be many people in this position - good luck with the job search.

I will be in the same boat shortly as my temp contract comes to an end. Best of luck to you. It’s a challenging time. Whilst I waited for the start of a new job I worked at Amazon for a while. I’m in my mid fifties, a qualified teacher etc. I must say after some apprehension I enjoyed the job. It was physical and helped to keep me fit and I found the leaders likeable. There were opportunities for other roles. May not be your thing but I managed to get a job and they keep inviting me back.

Last edited:
Being from Liverpool I think using the term doesn't count as cultural appropriation.:D
I know its a long shot but if anyone knows of anything going in or around merseyside?
I have experience in administration for admissions department of a university, many years experience in retail, mainly photographic and hi-fi plus self employment as a photographer. I'm educated to masters level and can turn my hand to most things but this job market is so depressing. I have applied for numerous jobs and haven't even been given an interview. I suspect this is due to my age, at 50 I'm overqualified which in real terms translates as too old.
Don't really like asking but I'm past the point of having any shame at the mo and the last thing I want to do is start selling my hifi to make ends meet.
Sorry, I don't want to raise hopes by posting a reply as I have nothing to offer other than best wishes.

I will add that your qualifications and approach on here bode well. Good luck.

I know a couple of people, friends, in a very similar situation to yourself now , and I was hung out to dry myself at 50, all be it with a substantial compensation package to soften the landing. I had to let go of all of my past experience and job based self esteem and so have my friends. They both work as delivery drivers. The luckiest one deals with regular customers who he meets every week, and he has really enjoyed building new customer relationships and this has been very good for the business. The pay is never more than adequate though. There are numerous openings for delivery drivers thanks to the explosion of online and if you can find one with a smaller company, or even a family business they will come to appreciate your retail experience and customer focus. Hopefully you you are able to drive?

John

I wish you the very best of luck. Im also in my 50s - it’s a really tough age. I really hope something comes up for you soon that provides a decent period of secure employment.

great idea to put it on here PFM a big family so you never know , do hope you find something

Don’t mention your age in your application, nor your qualifications if they aren’t relevant to the job. I only give my work history of the last ~15 years. Only rarely have I not got an interview at least.

All the best!

Thanks all for your encouragement, it does make me feel better knowing you’re rooting for me. The issue seems that every Vacancy I’ve have applied for poses a number of questions and scenarios and each question requires an essay to answer. I know how it works using an acronym which escapes me at the mo, it is essentially a box ticking exercise and you can’t escape giving your age as they all ask for DOB on the forms.
Onward and upward

Thanks all for your encouragement, it does make me feel better knowing you’re rooting for me. The issue seems that every Vacancy I’ve have applied for poses a number of questions and scenarios and each question requires an essay to answer. I know how it works using an acronym which escapes me at the mo, it is essentially a box ticking exercise and you can’t escape giving your age as they all ask for DOB on the forms.
Onward and upward
Don’t lose heart. Be positive and keep trying. Polish your CV etc. And practice interviewing via Zoom etc. I made 14 applications and was offered an interview for all but one. I was offered another post before accepting the temp. I just kept going at it.

The issue seems that every Vacancy I’ve have applied for poses a number of questions and scenarios and each question requires an essay to answer.

Daft isn't it. I used to work for banks and was never required to submit anything more than a 2 page CV for a job. Career change (education) and it's application forms requiring my life story. Seems like a massive waste of time for everyone involved.

Hopefully after you've done a few you've enough material to just cut and paste it :)

PS Best of luck!

advertisement

Back